If no 2020 season, would there still be 2021 Draft?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Suppose this upcoming NFL 2020 regular season never happens (presumably, the college-football season wouldn't happen either.) Then does the NFL do another Draft in 2021 (done online, like this year's) to draft many college players who didn't enter the Draft this year?

We would see two NFL Drafts with no season in between.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was thinking about this as a worst case scenario. How do you even have a draft when no one played? Then how do you deal with rookie contracts from 2020? It's a nightmare scenario IMO. Maybe someone else can sprinkle pixie dust on this situation and make me feel better. I can't see it.

Big_D

Reaction score
Of course. Maybe a Madden simulation picks the draft order? Or numbers out of a hat. But there will be another batch of players coming out, so there will definitely be a draft. How they figure out the specifics is another story!

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Not fair to keep the same draft order, because then bad teams get top picks twice in a row. Also probably not fair to have random draft order, because then the best teams could get the top picks. Would be interesting to see how they do it. Maybe random but with higher weighting for worse teams, kinda like the NBA. They can even rig it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Not fair to keep the same draft order, because then bad teams get top picks twice in a row. Also probably not fair to have random draft order, because then the best teams could get the top picks. Would be interesting to see how they do it. Maybe random but with higher weighting for worse teams, kinda like the NBA. They can even rig it.

That is how I see it. Doing a weighted lottery. They can even do a lottery for each round.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the current guys can't acrue a season no reason to add more. Doesn't hurt to keep guys in collage a bit longer.

There is always a reason to add talent. The NFL will figure out some sort of system for the players who will be eligible next April.