If Roy Williams comes to Dallas...

fortdick

Reaction score
Hostile said it, so it must be true!

Now that the Lions are officially out for the season, the chance of them trading Roy Williams is 80/20 (Hos' figures, not mine)

That being the case, if we traded for him, the biggest concern is if he will take receptions from TO and thereby cause an implosion.

I have alwasy thought that another big name receiver would take catches away from TO, but I have read some convincing arguments by some of the 'Zone faithful that it would actually open things up for TO.

I am posting this poll to see what everyone thinks.

Boysboy

Reaction score
fortdick;2319208 said:
Hostile said it, so it must be true!

Now that the Lions are officially out for the season, the chance of them trading Roy Williams is 80/20 (Hos' figures, not mine)

That being the case, if we traded for him, the biggest concern is if he will take receptions from TO and thereby cause an implosion.

I have alwasy thought that another big name receiver would take catches away from TO, but I have read some convincing arguments by some of the 'Zone faithful that it would actually open things up for TO.

I am posting this poll to see what everyone thinks.

IMHO-TO has been frustrated b/c he's constantly facing double/triple teams. At the same time, our other WRs are having trouble beating the jams off the LOS.

So yes-if Roy comes here, he'll face less double teams, meaning he'll be less frustrated, and have MORE opportunities to get the ball...even WITH Roy's presence.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think you need options of "increase TOs catches and make him unhappy" and "decrease TOs catches and make him happy".

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
TO was talking about how he and Chad Johnson could co-exist. Now I realize that they are suppose to be buddies and all, but it makes me wonder if he sees the benefit of having a guy that could take some of the doubles away from him. The guy could be Williams, Boldin, Johnson, or Houshmanzadeh.

What are the thoughts on TO becoming "okay" with getting a true WR on the outside to take off some of his heat?

Iago33

Reaction score
Boy--this is pretty much the textbook definition of "False Dilemma"!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
No pressure on me huh?

:omg:

TO wants to win. If we win he will be happy.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
TO's catches will increase unless they do not. That is the type of hard hitting prognosticatin' that we have been missing here at the Zone.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't care if TO is happy or not. I want to win. Getting Roy will only open up more for everybody....not less!

superpunk

Reaction score
If that went down I don't think Roy or TO would be the ones getting less touches.

I think it would be our RBs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2319216 said:
I think you need options of "increase TOs catches and make him unhappy" and "decrease TOs catches and make him happy".
Agreed.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
They'll increase because defenses wont be able to simply double and triple him. For a game, or two, you'd probably see Roy Williams beating them up and then they'd go more toward trying to at least slow both down, rather than totally shut down just one, and TO would find loads of single coverage to exploit.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i dont see my boy Roy coming to Dallas but if he did it would not only open up the game for T.O but also for the running game. i know for the most part we have been running great but still there's been times we have been facing 8man coverages much more than last year when we hardly saw them. It just opens up everything because if they focus on T.O, Roy n Witten will kill them. If they play single coverage T.O will dominate! and if they try to double both T.O and Roy, then Witten and run game will run wild! ah man i think i would **** my pants if i woke up one of these days and read the headline that Dallas has traded for Roy Williams! but again dont see it happening...

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hostile;2319292 said:
No pressure on me huh?

:omg:

TO wants to win. If we win he will be happy.

I wish we'd get him but Jerry said we are not going to trade for a WR, heard it out of his own mouth yesterday. Jerry believes we have enough on offense and at the WR position. He said we are not going to get anyone else before the deadline. Don't know where this 80/20 of him coming here is now. I'd say more like 5/95 he isn't now unless a big injury at the WR position occurs before the deadline.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2319523 said:
I wish we'd get him but Jerry said we are not going to trade for a WR, heard it out of his own mouth yesterday. Jerry believes we have enough on offense and at the WR position. He said we are not going to get anyone else before the deadline. Don't know where this 80/20 of him coming here is now. I'd say more like 5/95 he isn't now unless a big injury at the WR position occurs before the deadline.
The 80/20 thing is pure me. That is where it is coming from. I think the only thing that will kill it is if Detroit continues to hold out for a #1 draft pick. Jerry isn't going to pay that. So at this point he is telling the truth. He is not going to do it. Message sent. If Detroit comes to their senses he still could. He's being smart, they are not.

I'll take a lot of heat from people if this deal doesn't happen, but at no time have I said it is 100% going to happen. No one will pay attention to that. Everything I have predicted about interest by both teams has been reported so if people want to pretend I made it all up they are delusional.

Aven8

Reaction score
For what it's worth.....Goose Gosselin just said on Galloway that Detroit will do it for a 1st. He also said if the Cowboys get him that pick will be #31 or 32. He also said that he talked to a couple of teams that said both Roy and Calvin Johnson are better than Plaxico.

We've got to make this move.

:pray:

Aven8

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2319523 said:

That's another thing Goose said....don't ever believe anything coming out of Jerry's mouth. He said the same thing in the offseason about Pacman!

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Aven8;2319557 said:
For what it's worth.....Goose Gosselin just said on Galloway that Detroit will do it for a 1st. He also said if the Cowboys get him that pick will be #31 or 32. He also said that he talked to a couple of teams that said both Roy and Calvin Johnson are better than Plaxico.

We've got to make this move.

:pray:
I like Roy Williams, but he hasn't done it consistently like Plaxico, nor in the playoffs. Plaxico was amazing against GB in the NFC championship in the bitter cold.