If Shultz walks, what is your level of confidence in Ferguson and Hendershot

kskboys

Reaction score
Sounds like you're the one on the soapbox and being sanctimonious lol. Haven't seen anyone mad at Schulz for getting paid, just that we shouldn't continue to pay him at that rate moving forward with much cheaper replacements in the wing, and much better ways to allocate his salary moving forward. I hope he breaks the bank somewhere and enjoys a very luxurious, well earned life.
A very small number of posters think that this is personal for us. Very strange viewpoint. Very very strange.

Salary concerns for pretty much every poster on this site is strictly about how the salary fits under the cap and the ramifications thereof. Accusations of any other reasoning are silly drama queen stuff.

Bagman

Reaction score
Its not so much my confidence in them. Im confident. But is Dak ? His trust level in Schultz is sky high. Can he get there with those guys? If he can, we'll be better without Dalton and have his 11 million in cap space.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In small sample sizes, both Ferguson and Hendershot have looked like very capable NFL TE's. I wasnt high in Ferguson, but he is looking like he could become a Shultz like value in the 4th round. Talent wise, Hendershot isnt as far behind as his UDFA status implies. Without the the DV, Hendershot may have went 4th/5th.

How confident are you that either or both of these players can adequately replace Shultz in 2023
I like them both enough that I would let Shultz leave.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
As high as it is for Shultz, or higher.

However, I like the fact that we have four TEs, and are able to use all of them!

That looks great in the redzone.

Like, what do you do?

Stak78

Reaction score
I'm not saying Schultz is worth the salary he will command, but....

Schultz is by far the best TE on the team. His production will not easily be replaced.
I couldn’t disagree more. While Shultz is the most experienced TE on the roster. He may be the least talented TE on the roster. Ferguson is a better blocker, faster and more athletic. Hendershot is way faster and athletic. The only thing I’m not sure of yet is hands. Shultz has pretty good hands other than the east drop in the end zone against the Vikings.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I couldn’t disagree more. While Shultz is the most experienced TE on the roster. He may be the least talented TE on the roster. Ferguson is a better blocker, faster and more athletic. Hendershot is way faster and athletic. The only thing I’m not sure of yet is hands. Shultz has pretty good hands other than the east drop in the end zone against the Vikings.

Hendershot has better hands than all of them.

Ferguson is a catching machine, too, though.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what we think...the FO sees that the Hendershot/Ferguson duo and McKeon can handle what they want out of their TEs at a fraction of the cost. No way they are gonna pay Schultz anything close to what his demand will be. Rather have it go to Pollard if the Cowboys gonna pay that sum of money. He is a lot more important since Zeke is another problem.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Ferguson is better and Hendershot more athletic. So long Dalton!

DuceizBak

Reaction score
I would be fine.
Although, I wish they would use maybe a 3rd or a 4th on a supremely athletic Tight End who may not be all that refined.

I'm telling you, if Dak ever gets an elite tight end we would sky rocket. Hopefully Fergy or Hendershot turns into one.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In small sample sizes, both Ferguson and Hendershot have looked like very capable NFL TE's. I wasnt high in Ferguson, but he is looking like he could become a Shultz like value in the 4th round. Talent wise, Hendershot isnt as far behind as his UDFA status implies. Without the the DV, Hendershot may have went 4th/5th.

How confident are you that either or both of these players can adequately replace Shultz in 2023
I think we are good a tight end with Ferguson, Hendershot, Mckeon but I would not complain if we draft a highly rated tight end in the first three rounds. Shultz cost to much money and we should let him go. Let’s not get it twisted, Shultz is our best tight end but is not worth the big contract he will get on the open market.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was calling to draft Ferguson before we drafted Ferguson (check my receipts).

He’s effectively a Schultz clone as a receiver with a bit more athleticism as a YAC guy and a more consistent blocker. I like Schultz but was adamant we didn’t sign him longterm to big money. The fact we didn’t (at least to this point) was the best move we made this offseason. Let him walk and recoup the draft pick compensation.

I have zero doubts that Ferguson will pick up from Schultz with little to no hiccup.

75boyz

Reaction score
Full confidence. It's almost as if the offense has evolved into a Tight End friendly version where it's system over player. These guys appear to be plug n' play candidates without drastic drop-off if any if Schultz leaves.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In case you do not watch college football, the TE is the position emerging and there are a lot of very talented young TE's that could be drafted in the 2nd round. I wouldn't wait beyond that because that position is also emerging in the NFL.

stuckindc

Reaction score
totally confident. 100% not much drop off at all.
Not only that, but I think Ferguson is going to be a top TE in the league I think it’s going to elevate the offense. I don’t think we have any idea how good this kid is gonna be. IMO

kskboys

Reaction score
Schultz is the fastest of the 3.

Honestly, do people just make stuff up to further their agenda? Their 40 times are very comparable, w/ Schultz being around a 4.75 and the other 2 both around a 4.8.

lukemartin79

Reaction score

Pretty confident. Another nice surprise to this season, the play of those 2. The only thing is that Dak is so confident and trusts Schultz so much - him being gone may hurt Dak some.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Didn’t read through all the comments….sorry if this has been said….

Those two bring a certain energy to things that may have been missing.

They really want to win and that’s obvious. Maybe another thing that’s been lacking with some of our players.

Team chemistry seems better and those two are at least a part of that.

Not about to get into yet another Schultz debate, but it’s pretty clear that he is replaceable. Wouldn’t mind keeping him at maybe 7-8 per, but he will get more than that elsewhere and good for him.

Stak78

Reaction score
Schultz is the fastest of the 3.

Honestly, do people just make stuff up to further their agenda? Their 40 times are very comparable, w/ Schultz being around a 4.75 and the other 2 both around a 4.8.
I don’t care what was recorded on a pro day or combine years ago. Shultz is slower and much less agile that Ferguson and Hendershot. What would be my agenda other than wanting a TE that can stretch a defense and get yards after the catch? I’ve liked Shultz from the beginning, but he’s not worth $10 million a year.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

The coaches believe Schultz is the best TE- as evidenced by playing time. They work with these players daily, and know who the best player is.

The analysts that study football widely regard Schultz as one of the best TE's in the entire league.

We can speculate about the future, but today- Shultz is the best TE on the team, and it's not really close. He's seasoned, and plays very smart. Consistent. He has really good hands, and is a disciplined and dependable route runner. His blocking has developed over time, and has become a decent blocker now too. He possesses neither the blazing speed of the most athletic TE's, nor the power of the best blocking TE's. Instead, he is a well rounded, dependable and productive TE.