If Shultz walks, what is your level of confidence in Ferguson and Hendershot

visionary

Reaction score
In small sample sizes, both Ferguson and Hendershot have looked like very capable NFL TE's. I wasnt high in Ferguson, but he is looking like he could become a Shultz like value in the 4th round. Talent wise, Hendershot isnt as far behind as his UDFA status implies. Without the the DV, Hendershot may have went 4th/5th.

How confident are you that either or both of these players can adequately replace Shultz in 2023

Let Schulz walk and take the comp
The other 2 are just fine

visionary

Reaction score
The coaches believe Schultz is the best TE- as evidenced by playing time. They work with these players daily, and know who the best player is.

The analysts that study football widely regard Schultz as one of the best TE's in the entire league.

We can speculate about the future, but today- Shultz is the best TE on the team, and it's not really close. He's seasoned, and plays very smart. Consistent. He has really good hands, and is a disciplined and dependable route runner. His blocking has developed over time, and has become a decent blocker now too. He possesses neither the blazing speed of the most athletic TE's, nor the power of the best blocking TE's. Instead, he is a well rounded, dependable and productive TE.

The coaches think he’s better than 2 rookies? LOL
He’d have to be total crap to be worse
just stop it

Stak78

Reaction score
The coaches believe Schultz is the best TE- as evidenced by playing time. They work with these players daily, and know who the best player is.

The analysts that study football widely regard Schultz as one of the best TE's in the entire league.

We can speculate about the future, but today- Shultz is the best TE on the team, and it's not really close. He's seasoned, and plays very smart. Consistent. He has really good hands, and is a disciplined and dependable route runner. His blocking has developed over time, and has become a decent blocker now too. He possesses neither the blazing speed of the most athletic TE's, nor the power of the best blocking TE's. Instead, he is a well rounded, dependable and productive TE.
We’ll then we should sign him to a multi year contract deserving of one of the best tightends in the NFL, right?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Hendershot might be more versatile than Ferguson or Schultz. Question is, can Moore take advantage of that.

A "fast" TE would give Dallas a different option, especially in the redzone like we saw on Thursday

conner01

Reaction score
In small sample sizes, both Ferguson and Hendershot have looked like very capable NFL TE's. I wasnt high in Ferguson, but he is looking like he could become a Shultz like value in the 4th round. Talent wise, Hendershot isnt as far behind as his UDFA status implies. Without the the DV, Hendershot may have went 4th/5th.

How confident are you that either or both of these players can adequately replace Shultz in 2023
Pretty confident
They are both young guys who are not only playing solid but will get better and already solid blockers

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No problem if he leaves, just keep drafting TEs or signing vets. I have no overt concerns about the TE group at this point.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
We’ll then we should sign him to a multi year contract deserving of one of the best tightends in the NFL, right?

That becomes a question of resource allocation. There are other players the team will want to keep, perhaps more so. And then there is the question of how easily the team can replace Schultz's production.

My point is just that Schultz is a very good TE, and it would be a mistake to simply assume that an unproven rookie can step right in and perform just as well.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The coaches think he’s better than 2 rookies? LOL
He’d have to be total crap to be worse
just stop it

Sadly, some fans in this thread believe the 2 rookie TE's are better than Schultz.
Perhaps you should tell them to "stop it"
:rolleyes:

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Ferguson is a star. Mark it down within three years he will be the top right end in the league.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
In defense of Schultz, he is our best route runner. And it's not even close. I hope he comes back. But I would not break that bank over him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That's the one gripe I had about late years Witten was wherever he caught the ball was as far as he was ever going to get.

Schutz is just like that right now. I like how Fergi and Hendershot try and break tackles and get extra yards.

Like I used to say about Witten, if it's 3rd and 5, he'll get you five yards. And if it's 3rd and 13, well, he'll get you five yards.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Ferguson looks really promising IMO... he's shown some wiggle after the catch, and has been a good blocker even against bigger DLs. Those were my two biggest questions about his scouting profile... if he's answered those, he is starter material for sure.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score

They’re both better blockers as well as being more athletic. All Schultz has is experience and Chemistry with dak.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Ferguson looks really promising IMO... he's shown some wiggle after the catch, and has been a good blocker even against bigger DLs. Those were my two biggest questions about his scouting profile... if he's answered those, he is starter material for sure.
He makes you miss better than I expected. Schultz had wittens se
Speed and athleticism . The problem is, he’s 10-14 pounds lighter than Witten was.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
I don't know it seems to me that betweenthe wr and te groups it's schultz thats made the least errors. I could be wrong but I'm not so sure we need to run him off just yet.

If he's willing to talk reasonable contract sure keep him but not with a franchise tag again and certainly don't give him a Jaylen Smith type deal, I just don't think he's worth it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm very confident in these guys the tight end group is the least of my worries both those young players have proved very capable so far

Big D

Reaction score
If he's willing to talk reasonable contract sure keep him but not with a franchise tag again and certainly don't give him a Jaylen Smith type deal, I just don't think he's worth it.
Agreed. we don't need to break the bank but if given a fair deal I think he'd stay, until someone just comes to him with stupid money which I doubt happens.

Lodeus

Reaction score
Confident but not sure I've seen them do enough in the redzone yet.