If the best Landry team played the best Jimmy team, who ya got?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the best Landry team played the best Jimmy team... who ya got?

That is a much different question than how each ranked as compared to teams during the same eras.

Not even the 85 Bears would stand a chance against Jimmy's 92 and 93 teams.

Randy White is one of my all time favorite players, but if Erik Willliams blocks down (blocks to the inside on a run play), Randy (6-4, 257) would get blown out every time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Landry was a better Xs and Os guy but Jimmy is one of the best ever at evaluating talent. There’s no way Jimmy would have been undecided between Morton and Staubach like Landry was. Alternating the two in Chicago was a low point for Landry.
Jimmy used his 1st round supplemental pick on Walsh as insurance for Aikman. Which means he wasn’t absolutely certain Troy would make the transition. Once he did he traded Walsh but that first season it was an unknown. Everyone knew Jimmy probably trusted Walsh more because of their history. It was about as controversial as we saw with Jimmy.

Im not saying it’s the same situation but Tom was torn with making the decision with Roger and Craig. Craig had beaten Roger out in Camp and just led him to a Super Bowl but Tom was looking for a spark.

Not many HC’s would bench their QB who had just led them to a SB and a couple impressive seasons. Craig had a big arm as a 1st round pick. Roger while a Heisman hadn’t played in 5 years in the Navy. It was a risk that didn’t have to work.

That one game was odd no doubt but Tom was that indecisive and wanted to give both every opportunity. I believe it was Toms most difficult decision in his career. And we didn’t trade Craig until a couple years later.

He went on to become the1st QB of course to start for two different teams in a SB and had the longest career in the NFL (18 years) of any drafted Cowboys QB. As much as the rest is history with Roger which it most likely was the right decision I believe we could have continued having success with Craig and won a championship with him.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That hurt, but that play alone didn’t lose the game. That would have just tied the game and there was still a couple of minutes in the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter left to play.
Yes I know that. I think it’s a different game he catches that ball but that’s speculation . But if you recall. We are only down six points at the end of the game. Starbuck what a great comeback

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That play is often overplayed as it wasn't the last play. We do not know how they would have altered their game plan had he caught that pass.

I lien that to the catch/no, it is not of Bryant in GB. Many erroneously think the Cowboys win that game if that's a catch. They couldn't stop Rodgers and the GB O all day and couldn't stop them from running out the clock moving up the field.
I believe that the end of the game we’re only down less than a touchdown. They played could’ve very well been the difference. Anyways they killed me LOL

eromeopolk

Reaction score
If the best Landry team played the best Jimmy team... who ya got?
My brain says Jimmy Johnson's team. My Heart says Staubach and Landry would find a way to win.

Staubach was such a difference maker as a leader and competitor, I do not know if Jimmy's attack 4-3 defense get away with bullying Staubach to lose. 70's Cowboys would have to keep Jackie Smith on the bench or cut him to be 100% positive of a win.

Flamma

Reaction score
That is a much different question than how each ranked as compared to teams during the same eras.

Not even the 85 Bears would stand a chance against Jimmy's 92 and 93 teams.

Randy White is one of my all time favorite players, but if Erik Willliams blocks down (blocks to the inside on a run play), Randy (6-4, 257) would get blown out every time.

That's pretty much the glaring difference. The lines on both sides of the ball. Someone on a different board asked how Emmitt might do against the Ray Nitcschke Packers. That's easy. The Cowboy O-Line would push them up and down the field all game.

The '77 Cowboys VS the '92 Cowboys would be an interesting game if you took away the consideration of either team dominating in the trenches.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite pics of Tom with his former starting QB’s. I’m not sure why Troy was included but he did intend to draft him.

QBs.jpg.cf.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
85 Bears?

The 92 and 93 Cowboy vs the 85 Bears is as win for the Cowboys every time.

Back in 85 the world was amazed at the size of William "Refrigerator" Perry.
- By 92 the Cowboys had about 4 of 5 OL that were about as big and some might have been bigger.

Buddy Ryan probably had more overall talent with the early nineties Eagles than he had with the Bears
- Buddy's Eagles defense dominated the 89 Cowboys.
- Everything changed once Erik Williams stepped on the field in 91 and became a full time starter in 92.
- No defense was going to intimidate the OL with EW as the lead dog and backed up by Tuinei, Nate, Gogan and Moose blowing up Linebackers.
- Erik Williams made Reggie White cry on national TV...
- Buddy had to move away from his 46 defense because he couldn't defend the Cowboys with that scheme.
- He would have to play man coverage on Irvin to stay in the 46 and 1-on-1 coverage on Irvin was an easy win for the Cowboys with Aikman at QB.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Old Tom would coach circles around Jimmy.

Oh, yeah?
Well, as they say in me old Farmers Branch crib:
Show us THEIR Jewelry.
Jimmy was waasy more successful in compressed time.
Jimmy slam dunk Old Landry.
Blokes, it's not even close. Westside!

RandyOh

Reaction score
C'mon people. LARRY ALLEN NEVER PLAYED FOR JIMMY JOHNSON.
Darrnit your right. I knew it was one of Eric Williams or Larry Allen that wasnt on the team yet. I always get it mixed up. Either way would love to see Erik Williams go at with the Landry D linemen. some might not be legal what happens

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Darrnit your right. I knew it was one of Eric Williams or Larry Allen that wasnt on the team yet. I always get it mixed up. Either way would love to see Erik Williams go at with the Landry D linemen. some might not be legal what happens
Oh ...
Not Eric Willjams?
I am so confused, blokes and fugitives.
Hollah.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Captain Comeback-Doomsday-The Fedora:starspin:
Landry's guys come back and steal the win:flagwave:

Agree! Even the team that lost to Pittsburgh in the 78 season/79 Super Bowl was onr of the most stacked teams ever. Too many young people here. That team would have beaten 92. Sorry but they were vets with attitude. Nothing against 90s either