If the best Landry team played the best Jimmy team, who ya got?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The 1977 Cowboys would drill the 1992 team.
By drill, I mean they would beat them by 7 points.
Dorsett gave them the edge, and that defense was very good.
And Staubach was in his prime.
Landry would have given Dave Wandstedt and Jimmy fits with his offense.

That's like saying Carl Lewis is faster than Usain Bolt, lol hilarious.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If the best Landry team played the best Jimmy team... who ya got?
I think we were lucky to have both coaches. I myself thought Landry was the better era. I’m taking Landry over Jimmy because Jimmy didn’t do well once you left the Cowboys. I’m not sure Landry had the talent that Jimmy had. But if it wasn’t for Landry we wouldn’t be America’s team.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I'd take the '92 Cowboys over ANY of them...................

McKDaddy

Reaction score
bigger, stronger, faster & with the knowledge of what came before. That is the march of time and ultimately the difference. Not talent, nor heart nor discipline. As much as I love the Cowboys of my childhood, they would get trampled into the turf by the 90's teams.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I would take Jimmy’s best Cowboys team vs any football team in the history of the universe.....
that is what makes them so remarkable. most teams are out of the conversation 10 -15 years down the road. You could line them up today and they would be in the mix. Of course, the rules changes would be the biggest hindrance. The speed of todays receivers & tweaks toward passing game would make it difficult for the secondary. Otherwise, I think they would be just fine.

Scotman

Reaction score
It depends. Do the players get to do the same things they did in the 70's? If so, give me the 77 Cowboys. Irvin loved the fight off the line, but he didn't have to play against corner backs who could absolutely mug you without a flag. Unless someone torn your whole face off, a facemask penalty was pretty rare. Running back giving you problems? No problem...a few chop blocks and a little wear and tear on the knees solves that. Aikman just thought he had concussions. Let the d-line pick him up and fling him to the ground a few times.

This is a fun mental exercise, but it's impossible to really know. I also think the 94 Cowboys could very well be the best football team of all time. But one era just doesn't compare to another.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would say Jimmy's 1993 team. that team was #1 on defense in so many categories and it was deep. and the offense was a precision machine. that should be one of the best all time teams.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
This isn't really a fair comparison, IMO. Landry's 1974 offensive line totaled about 1280 lbs, while Johnsons 92 team offensive line totaled about 1500 lbs. That's an average of about 45 lbs/player, just on the O-line. In addition to the later players being bigger, they were also faster, generally speaking. That general comparison can be applied league-wide across both eras. As much as I loved my Landry-era Cowboys, I fear they would have been no match for Johnson's Cowboys. Each was uniquely special for their time, but really shouldn't be compared.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yeah he was great in Miami wasn’t he

And you were great when?
Jimmy has a college national championship ring AT MIAMI!!
JIMMY COULD HAVE H AD 3 Super Bowl rings if He wanted.
when did you approach that greatness?
When did you and your daddy even whiff success. And your fake résumé doesn't count.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And you were great when?
Jimmy has a college national championship ring AT MIAMI!!
JIMMY COULD HAVE H AD 3 Super Bowl rings if He wanted.
when did you approach that greatness?
When did you and your daddy even whiff success. And your fake résumé doesn't count.
I was great in the military. Honorable discharge. You were great when ? Oh that’s right you have a government funded halfway house that you clean. I forgot. Yes that’s right where you belong.That’s all you can do is belittle people. Tom Landry flex defense innovation. What did Jimmy Johnson do that was innovative. Teams win Super Bowl’s.Stop hating the history. America’s team thank you Tom Landry

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Jimmy had a better team without a doubt. But I think Landry was the better coach. I know that’s not the OP’s statement. But that’s what people have turned This into.

Big_D

Reaction score
That 92 team IMO is the best football team ever.