If the best Landry team played the best Jimmy team, who ya got?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
atleast you are on the right side ol'chap.
just a little confused and doddering.
Tom Landry invented the flex defense he can never have that taken away. Jimmy Johnson wasn’t as innovative. He just knew how to motivate

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Different game in Coach Landry's era. I think it would depend on what era of Football each team had to play in. Remember, lots of rule changes between the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
So many rule changes simply because of Dallas Cowboys winning

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The first one that comes to my mind is Hourse collar

For me it's being able to extend the arms and use the hands. Being able to extend outside the frame. That changed everything. Scheme, athletes, the ability for the game to become a passing league, rather then a run game was the result of this IMO. That one simple change in rules changed the game forever.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For me it's being able to extend the arms and use the hands. Being able to extend outside the frame. That changed everything. Scheme, athletes, the ability for the game to become a passing league, rather then a run game was the result of this IMO. That one simple change in rules changed the game forever.
I totally agree that was a big one. The rules on covering receivers. Change the game dramatically also. I think for the most part it’s for the better. But I miss the 70s

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
atleast you are on the right side ol'chap.
just a little confused and doddering.

You mean ... you ... mean you acknowledge me, a sailor's son ?
Well, then.
... A bloke walks in with a pint of blat. "It wasn't me!!" he yelled!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forgot about the kick off return. Was such a long time ago too many seasons too many games my cowboy brother
Honestly I had too, but I knew there was a lot of time left after the dropped pass, so looked at the play by play to confirm how much time was left and happened across the fumbled kickoff return.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I totally agree that was a big one. The rules on covering receivers. Change the game dramatically also. I think for the most part it’s for the better. But I miss the 70s

Heck of a time to be a Cowboys Fan for sure.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I think between rules changes and how much bigger & faster guys got between 1971 and 1995 makes it sort of an impossible question.

Making passing rules easier for Roger Staubach basically turns him into a cross between Aaron Rodgers and the liquid metal Terminator from T2.

But trying to lead block with 200 lb fullbacks against Charles Haley seems suicidal.

Does Bob Lilly get modern training & nutrition? Then suddenly everyone's gonna die. Otherwise Larry Allen shot-puts him into the sun.

Does Landry get 6 months to adapt to the modern rules? If so he might run rings around Jimmy, he was a constant innovator on a level few guys outside Paul Brown were. But drop him in blind and he's seriously handicapped.

quickccc

Reaction score
As unfair and hypothetical question as this is, i'd have to go with a bigger, faster more physical era
of Jimmie's best team vs Landry's best team.
- 250 pounders of 60's -70's cannot compare to 340-50 lbers of Newton, Allen and Big E" .
- Doomsday I vs Great Wall of Dallas and Emmitt ? Don't stand a freakin' chance ...!!
- plus the evolving NFL defenses would have caught up to how to best bracket coverage
containing Bullet Bob Hayes.
:rolleyes:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I'm not old enough to remember Landry's 70s teams. They were great all around teams, though.

IMO, the 92-93 Cowboys teams were the best teams I've ever seen. Jimmy truly built a juggernaut. I recall when they crushed the 49ers in the 1st half of the '93 NFCC, John Madden said it was the best he'd ever seen any team play. That team was so good Jimmy's shadow won a super bowl 2 years after he left, because everyone knows Barry Switzer's dumb *** wasn't doing any coaching.

Incredible what the Cowboys could have accomplished if Jones could've set aside his ego and let Jimmy run the team. 25 years later, Jones is still trying to prove he's a real football man.