If the Cowboys are going to pay top dollar for a quarterback there are better options

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lets take a look at your "better" options.

Case Keenum in the league 8 years and has been on 7 teams. If he was really any good as a starting QB one of those 7 teams would have gotten him in a long term contract and he would have stayed put.

Marcus Mariota just lost his starting job to Ryan Tannehill this season who the titans traded for because they knew Mariota wasn't the QB they thought he was.

Tom Brady - does anyone actually believe at this stage in his career that he will go to another team and have to learn a whole new system and playbook? Not to mention that he's not the Tom Brady of years past and showed this season he can't get out of the way of the rush anymore. This talk about he playing some place else is just a ploy to let the patriots know that there won't be an extremely friendly home team contract this time.
I see your points but counter points are,

Case Keenum or similar Journeymen at half the cost of Dak with a strong run game that other teams used to make a deep playoff run this season and hardly used a QB makes case for spending less for a NON Elite type QB as Dak is average most days see the last 6 games of the season that knocked us out of the show.. Hes above average at times shows flashes but his inconsistency's say do NOT pay the guy his demands.. You saying case hes been on 6 teams so hes trash even though he was part of the Vikes 10-6 Playoff team with strong run game and defense.. they got cousins paid him more and got the same or worse results..

Now on that same point this Moesert Running back was also passed around to 6 teams in 5 years, now he literally dragged SF into the SB..

Its how you build around players and find roles for them that can make or break a career..it appeared Tannehill made the difference but in realty when they changed they also decided to lean on Henry and the defense and hardly used RT, he came along for the ride so to speak..so maybe MM would have been sat down and told they were going to do this, changed his role and got the same results..who knows but being scared to go a different direction with dak and paying him far more then hes worth is not smart..

I like dak been supporting him since 2016 but I see a trend where he has far too many stretches' of bad execution , its becoming normal..2017, 18 and now to end 19 he had ugly stretches that cost us..it looks like this is what he is... thats not a 34+million dollar QB..

just because other teams are making errors, does it mean we should..

a Journeyman and a draft pick maybe a Fromm or Hurts would simply Bridge you to the next franchise Qb and use the saved cap money to build the defense and lean on Zeke and Pollard..

if you dont have a true top 5 elite QB why pay him that? I want dak at 30 or under not what hes asking..as fan we dont have that choice

I do agree the best place for Brady is the pats but 2nd Titans no other place will offer what he will be asking for, he want to be be Player/GM and get a team willing to make his last run his own blueprint of FAs etc..

he wouldn't work well here...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Case Keenum or similar Journeymen at half the cost of Dak with a strong run game that other teams used to make a deep playoff run this season and hardly used a QB makes case for spending less for a NON Elite type QB as Dak is average most days see the last 6 games of the season that knocked us out of the show.. Hes above average at times shows flashes but his inconsistency's say do NOT pay the guy his demands.. You saying case hes been on 6 teams so hes trash even though he was part of the Vikes 10-6 Playoff team with strong run game and defense.. they got cousins paid him more and got the same or worse results..

Now on that same point this Moesert Running back was also passed around to 6 teams in 5 years, now he literally dragged SF into the SB..

Its how you build around players and find roles for them that can make or break a career..it appeared Tannehill made the difference but in realty when they changed they also decided to lean on Henry and the defense and hardly used RT, he came along for the ride so to speak..so maybe MM would have been sat down and told they were going to do this, changed his role and got the same results..who knows but being scared to go a different direction with dak and paying him far more then hes worth is not smart..

I like dak been supporting him since 2016 but I see a trend where he has far too many stretches' of bad execution , its becoming normal..2017, 18 and now to end 19 he had ugly stretches that cost us..it looks like this is what he is... thats not a 34+million dollar QB..

a Journeyman and a draft pick maybe a Fromm or Hurts would simply Bridge you to the next franchise Qb and use the saved cap money to build the defense and lean on Zeke and Pollard..

if you dont have a true top 5 elite QB why pay him that? I want dak at 30 or under not what hes asking..as fan we dont have that choice

I do agree the best place for Brady is the pats but 2nd Titans no other place will offer what he will be asking for, he want to be be Player/GM and get a team willing to make his last run his own blueprint of FAs etc..

so you just talked yourself out of Keenum. the 10-6 season was result of strong defense and run game. we have one not the other. and in the end Keenum couldn't get it done....which means that you need the QB play to get over the top, otherwise you are always the brides maid. so if everything else is perfect, keenum can drive the bus...but he doesn't have the ability to take you to the house....so why sign Keenum?

I have been a Dak critic. believe me I have been called a Dak hater on many occasions....however I have also said, that because I criticize Dak, doesn't mean I hate him or don't like him. lets remove Dak, what's a better alternative, short and long term. Keenum is clearly not a better alternative. the goals is not to get to the playoffs, but get to the superbowl and have a chance to win.

and in regards to Tannehill, although seemingly they leaned on Henry, but Tannehill in 11 games threw for 2700 yards. that would translate to a 3900 yards passing season going on averages. that would put him in the top 10 passing in the league. perhaps Henry had success because Tannehill was a real threat at QB that teams had to respect....and they didn't respect Mariotta…..the change of scenary from the dismal Miami team did him a lot of good!

now in regards to Moesert, its probably because the team had an outstanding day and he fit their scheme. there is a reasonin 5 years he almost had no carries....one game does not a great player make. this perhaps is his 15 minute of fame...and if he is that good...why was he on the bench for SF? lets not make him into this player that he really is not. SF OL and their blocking just had a field day against GB....Moesert was the beneficiary.

at this point, I don't see an alternative that's better than Dak. perhaps Brady, but I argued that Brady in year 1, new coach. new scheme. new players. we probably aren't superbowl bound, given the state of this defense. is brady going to play two more years? that's very risky.

Mariotta sucks. he is the new Mark Sanchez. everyone will cringe when he goes into the game.....

in my past criticism of Dak, I pointed out to his many flaws, but I also said, we need to see improvements....we have seen him improve. he has made himself better every year and we have to take into account the garrett incompetency factor. he often didn't put his players in position to win. he often snatched defeat from jaws of victory....Dak takes some blame here too, like the last game against Philly. that was abysmal. but he has also had positive moments. putting the team on his back and carrying them.

with that said, I am not opposed to giving him a 3, maybe a 4 year contract. nothing long term. something we can get out of in 2 or 3 years. I am opposed to trading the house to get a rookie QB, unless we do it to get Lawrence next year. that would mean we go on a rebuilding project or sorts. and it would cost too much to trade up to #1 over all to get him....

blueblood70

Reaction score
so you just talked yourself out of Keenum. the 10-6 season was result of strong defense and run game. we have one not the other. and in the end Keenum couldn't get it done....which means that you need the QB play to get over the top, otherwise you are always the brides maid. so if everything else is perfect, keenum can drive the bus...but he doesn't have the ability to take you to the house....so why sign Keenum?

I have been a Dak critic. believe me I have been called a Dak hater on many occasions....however I have also said, that because I criticize Dak, doesn't mean I hate him or don't like him. lets remove Dak, what's a better alternative, short and long term. Keenum is clearly not a better alternative. the goals is not to get to the playoffs, but get to the superbowl and have a chance to win.

and in regards to Tannehill, although seemingly they leaned on Henry, but Tannehill in 11 games threw for 2700 yards. that would translate to a 3900 yards passing season going on averages. that would put him in the top 10 passing in the league. perhaps Henry had success because Tannehill was a real threat at QB that teams had to respect....and they didn't respect Mariotta…..the change of scenary from the dismal Miami team did him a lot of good!

now in regards to Moesert, its probably because the team had an outstanding day and he fit their scheme. there is a reasonin 5 years he almost had no carries....one game does not a great player make. this perhaps is his 15 minute of fame...and if he is that good...why was he on the bench for SF? lets not make him into this player that he really is not. SF OL and their blocking just had a field day against GB....Moesert was the beneficiary.

at this point, I don't see an alternative that's better than Dak. perhaps Brady, but I argued that Brady in year 1, new coach. new scheme. new players. we probably aren't superbowl bound, given the state of this defense. is brady going to play two more years? that's very risky.

Mariotta sucks. he is the new Mark Sanchez. everyone will cringe when he goes into the game.....

in my past criticism of Dak, I pointed out to his many flaws, but I also said, we need to see improvements....we have seen him improve. he has made himself better every year and we have to take into account the garrett incompetency factor. he often didn't put his players in position to win. he often snatched defeat from jaws of victory....Dak takes some blame here too, like the last game against Philly. that was abysmal. but he has also had positive moments. putting the team on his back and carrying them.

with that said, I am not opposed to giving him a 3, maybe a 4 year contract. nothing long term. something we can get out of in 2 or 3 years. I am opposed to trading the house to get a rookie QB, unless we do it to get Lawrence next year. that would mean we go on a rebuilding project or sorts. and it would cost too much to trade up to #1 over all to get him....
we are not living in 2019 this is 202 , so I did not talk myself out of a Journeymen QB at half what dak cost and ride our Oline, Zeke, and pollard and rebuild the defense this offseason which is perfect timing giving Nolan 18-20 FAs he has to get rid of or resign..so he can literally go handpick the replacements to build his defense this offseason..

Tannehill did play well at times but both garpollo and tannehill were spectators in the playoffs, they could have ran the wildcat and still had the same results..they made their QB a ghost..so you can wither ride and pay and elite QB like Mahomes or plan b like Tennessee and SF did..they did it on the back of a strong run game and defense..

sure they paid JG before all this mess and his blown acl actually was a blessing in disguise as they got another high draft pick I believe it was Bosa because of it..4 high drafts due bad teams helped them create this run..in the grand scheme of things JG just steered the bus..

I cant see us paying 34plus to dak for the same thing..hes plan B not A..thats concerning..

it doesnt have to be Keenum just a journeymen to steer the bus and ride our run game and defense with better coaching to a deeper playoff run..

BTW Dak did not carry this team even one important game this year,..in fact we lost every game we were down at the half, we lost from NE-Philly because Dak regressed.. He had some great moments against weaker teams but what I saw was a red flag to not pay him.. the FT he may hold out so we have to get a journeymen anyway, grab a 3rd/4th round QB lie Fromm or Hurts and start developing them just in case..

I would luv this to happen Dak hold out the first 4 games or so while MM can enact plan b, gives us a glimpse, then maybe we know.. in the short term FT dak on the non exclusive tag can field offers and see how the league actually views him..

its not ideal but I would like to see how this offense runs with a 15mil Journeyman with a Coach that utilizes Zeke and pollard in both the run games and pass games and a controlled offense to help the defense and hopefully Nolan energizes the new D..

im just saying..its a idea

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Page 19 and people are still talking about journeyman Case bleepin' Keenum. :muttley:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I see you want leave the most important position on the team left to a wandering vet that isn't good enough to find a permanent home as a starter anywhere and on top of that you just want to rent this wandering vet for just a year or two. Comparing QB's to any other position is foolishness to the nth degree. Even if the Cowboys did as you say, that help on defense from this draft isn't going to be enough to turn the Cowboys defense into one of those dominating defenses. If you say but there will be more money on the cap from signing one of those wandering vets so they could sign some free agents but then you forget that the Cowboys have 25 UFA coming due. Now some the Cowboys can get a long without but then they have to get players to fill those spots which just may not jive with defensive players needed to turn this defense into one of those dominating defense. Lets see your reply will be then the Cowboys could renegotiate some contracts to free up more money but we both know that doing that just adds more dead money on the cap down the road and Stephen has finally broke that cycle and that is why the Cowboys have more cap space this season then they ever have had.

Here's another thought for you. Last week on both the NFL and ESPN sites they had an articles ranking the top free agents for 2020 and Prescott was number 1 on both. This includes Brady, Brees and Rivers. Now do you really think Prescott would be rank number 1 if he was as bad as you and others try to paint him as.

You are right the fans have no say on who and how much teams pay for players and that's because that's an owners call.

If the Cowboys did your plan other than wasting more picks moving up to draft a QB and even at that, there no guarantees that the new QB will be better or even as good as Prescott. All your plan would do is setback the Cowboys 2-4 years and wasting those years on a window that never stays open for ever.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
we are not living in 2019 this is 202 , so I did not talk myself out of a Journeymen QB at half what dak cost and ride our Oline, Zeke, and pollard and rebuild the defense this offseason which is perfect timing giving Nolan 18-20 FAs he has to get rid of or resign..so he can literally go handpick the replacements to build his defense this offseason..
so your expectations are to rebuild the defense in one off season!? with the number of holes and FAs we have to sign (at what cost) and make it so strong that Keenum can come in and take us to playoffs....and as I mentioned before, he took Minn to the playoffs, but couldn't put the team over the top even with a very strong running game and very strong defense...so we need to build an all time best type defense so keenum can succeed......not sure if that's a plan or a spin to justify that you want keenum. in the meantime we have 4 very good QBs in the championship games, three are highly paid. Keenum is nothing but a good career backup. there is absolutely nothing special about him. might as well just go with Rush...why not? how much difference is there. the 10 million saved on salary can bring in another defensive player to build that all time defense!

Tannehill did play well at times but both garpollo and tannehill were spectators in the playoffs, they could have ran the wildcat and still had the same results..they made their QB a ghost..so you can wither ride and pay and elite QB like Mahomes or plan b like Tennessee and SF did..they did it on the back of a strong run game and defense..

grapolo threw for 3900 yards this season....top 10. in the playoffs I give credit to their coach for finding what worked and milking it and not getting away from it....if it was JG, he would have started throwing the ball even if we were rushing 6 ypc…...but grapolo certainly showed the ability to make plays with his arm.

the same for tannehill….. and I am not saying he is anything great, but when their running game wasn't working against KC and they needed to make throws and passing game against KC, they couldn't....he is heck of a lot better than Keenum. there will come a time your QB needs to make plays...it would be good to have one that can...not one that depends on the running game and defense and in the end, their run came to an end. they are not in the superbowl

sure they paid JG before all this mess and his blown acl actually was a blessing in disguise as they got another high draft pick I believe it was Bosa because of it..4 high drafts due bad teams helped them create this run..in the grand scheme of things JG just steered the bus..

I cant see us paying 34plus to dak for the same thing..hes plan B not A..thats concerning..

are you sure? what if we paid him 34 for 3 years or 4 years? I think its your thinking he is plan B, front office has him as plan A, and they are working on plan B....

it doesnt have to be Keenum just a journeymen to steer the bus and ride our run game and defense with better coaching to a deeper playoff run..

I am not going to put all the eggs in one basket, that would be an exception and to your point, SF got lucky and ended up with Bosa and kind of the defense came together. it didn't happen in one year. it didn't happen in one off season and they are doing it without many FAs...once these players hit FA, it will be interesting to see how they keep the team together and who stays and who goes..... the key is not FA, but draft. you have to hit on your draft picks and the past two years we haven't really hit much. and its putting us behind.

BTW Dak did not carry this team even one important game this year,..in fact we lost every game we were down at the half, we lost from NE-Philly because Dak regressed.. He had some great moments against weaker teams but what I saw was a red flag to not pay him.. the FT he may hold out so we have to get a journeymen anyway, grab a 3rd/4th round QB lie Fromm or Hurts and start developing them just in case..

maybe not this year, but last year, the first year, and he kept us close in some games despite crappy coaching.....

I would luv this to happen Dak hold out the first 4 games or so while MM can enact plan b, gives us a glimpse, then maybe we know.. in the short term FT dak on the non exclusive tag can field offers and see how the league actually views him..

its not ideal but I would like to see how this offense runs with a 15mil Journeyman with a Coach that utilizes Zeke and pollard in both the run games and pass games and a controlled offense to help the defense and hopefully Nolan energizes the new D..

im just saying..its a idea

I don't want a journey man, who hasn't accomplished anything and just happened to be in the right place at the right time to lead this team to playoffs, only for us to fall short. I rather build a team based on what generally works, as oppose to build a team on exceptions because its the latest hot thing to do!.....do I want us to build the defense? yes, without a legit defense we better have an all time best offense like the Rams or Patriots of the years past. without the QB at the helm, we would need to build an all time defense like the Ravens or Steelers of the past.

and I don't think we need to build through FA, that formula doesn't work.

blueblood70

Reaction score
so your expectations are to rebuild the defense in one off season!? with the number of holes and FAs we have to sign (at what cost) and make it so strong that Keenum can come in and take us to playoffs....and as I mentioned before, he took Minn to the playoffs, but couldn't put the team over the top even with a very strong running game and very strong defense...so we need to build an all time best type defense so keenum can succeed......not sure if that's a plan or a spin to justify that you want keenum. in the meantime we have 4 very good QBs in the championship games, three are highly paid. Keenum is nothing but a good career backup. there is absolutely nothing special about him. might as well just go with Rush...why not? how much difference is there. the 10 million saved on salary can bring in another defensive player to build that all time defense!

grapolo threw for 3900 yards this season....top 10. in the playoffs I give credit to their coach for finding what worked and milking it and not getting away from it....if it was JG, he would have started throwing the ball even if we were rushing 6 ypc…...but grapolo certainly showed the ability to make plays with his arm.

the same for tannehill….. and I am not saying he is anything great, but when their running game wasn't working against KC and they needed to make throws and passing game against KC, they couldn't....he is heck of a lot better than Keenum. there will come a time your QB needs to make plays...it would be good to have one that can...not one that depends on the running game and defense and in the end, their run came to an end. they are not in the superbowl

are you sure? what if we paid him 34 for 3 years or 4 years? I think its your thinking he is plan B, front office has him as plan A, and they are working on plan B....

I am not going to put all the eggs in one basket, that would be an exception and to your point, SF got lucky and ended up with Bosa and kind of the defense came together. it didn't happen in one year. it didn't happen in one off season and they are doing it without many FAs...once these players hit FA, it will be interesting to see how they keep the team together and who stays and who goes..... the key is not FA, but draft. you have to hit on your draft picks and the past two years we haven't really hit much. and its putting us behind.

maybe not this year, but last year, the first year, and he kept us close in some games despite crappy coaching.....

I don't want a journey man, who hasn't accomplished anything and just happened to be in the right place at the right time to lead this team to playoffs, only for us to fall short. I rather build a team based on what generally works, as oppose to build a team on exceptions because its the latest hot thing to do!.....do I want us to build the defense? yes, without a legit defense we better have an all time best offense like the Rams or Patriots of the years past. without the QB at the helm, we would need to build an all time defense like the Ravens or Steelers of the past.

and I don't think we need to build through FA, that formula doesn't work.
you will not convince me Dak is worth over 34mil just because you are afraid of the alternative ie drafting another dak and journeymen to bridge the gap..heck ill take tannelhill or Garoppolo over dal at this point because either save you 10mil/ or more..to me it is about money Dak wants to be the highest paid QB when hes 2nd tier..

top FA qb sure the rest are about to retire and daks a starter but that doesnt mean hes worth 34mil per season..

I like dak under 30 if not im all for plan B spend the money on defense , special team, and coaching.. we've dont this before with Romo and I loved romo more then dak but maybe 2014 romo friendly design we need to get back there but with a QB we dont have all our money invested. A Strong Run Game, dominant defense, solid special teams, and coaches making it all work well..
it woud be nice to go that route for once instead of overpayig a QB and keep missing out because the defense cant stop anyone..

witht he oney saved at QN you can afford 2 spash players on defense add high draft picks and let Zeke, pollard and the oline protect the QB..you never know Fromm or Hurts could be at least as good as a Romo or dak, the journeymen just allows for a brodge between them,

like i said the FT is most likely coming anyway and i think Dak will hold out, we need this plan anyway..get you head wrapped around it..

hey im simply spit balling here,

dak doesnt have deal because i imagne the DC feel the same way..if he were OUR GUY , they wuld have no doubts and signed him to 35. already, there is doubt and thats why they are holding for 32/33.. lie i said if he were a cant miss generational QB whats the holdup over 3-4mil..?? He and garett were lame duck years because there was doubt garrets gone..hmm

I like Dak Ill support him while he wears the Star im not a troll hater but I have doubts..

we know why there's plenty of doubt..

Slibbles

Reaction score
If you do anything, it's trade up for Burrow which doesn't even make sense with how much we would have to give up. However, I would consider a cheap Mariota in case we tag Dak and he won't play under the tag.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you will not convince me Dak is worth over 34mil just because you are afraid of the alternative ie drafting another dak and journeymen to bridge the gap..heck ill take tannelhill or Garoppolo over dal at this point because either save you 10mil/ or more..to me it is about money Dak wants to be the highest paid QB when hes 2nd tier..

top FA qb sure the rest are about to retire and daks a starter but that doesnt mean hes worth 34mil per season..

I like dak under 30 if not im all for plan B spend the money on defense , special team, and coaching.. we've dont this before with Romo and I loved romo more then dak but maybe 2014 romo friendly design we need to get back there but with a QB we dont have all our money invested. A Strong Run Game, dominant defense, solid special teams, and coaches making it all work well..
it woud be nice to go that route for once instead of overpayig a QB and keep missing out because the defense cant stop anyone..

witht he oney saved at QN you can afford 2 spash players on defense add high draft picks and let Zeke, pollard and the oline protect the QB..you never know Fromm or Hurts could be at least as good as a Romo or dak, the journeymen just allows for a brodge between them,

like i said the FT is most likely coming anyway and i think Dak will hold out, we need this plan anyway..get you head wrapped around it..

dak doesnt have deal because i imagne the DC feel the same way..if he were OUR GUY , they wuld have no doubts and signed him to 35. already, there is doubt and thats why they are holding for 32/33.. lie i said if he were a cant miss generational QB whats the holdup over 3-4mil..?? He and garett were lame duck years because there was doubt garrets gone..hmm

I like Dak Ill support him while he wears the Star im not a troll hater but I have doubts..

I am not afraid of alterntives. I don't think Keenum is worth it and will be a waste of any money or time as he will not get you there. he is not capable of getting your there unless he walks into the perfect storm. there is a reason 7 head coaches and so many teams have never held on to him, Texans twice!!....so worrying about saving a few million dollars (instead of 30 we are talking 34) and going with bargain basement ain't going to bring in a superbowl. its a QB driven league whether we like it or not.... grapolo at the time got a record contract too!!! and he is not available...is Tannehill available? how much is he going to ask for? and would he want to come here instead of Titans where he is now familiar with them and took them to AFC championship game....the problem is Keenum is not 2nd tier, he is 4th tier.....and the other ones may not be available.....

facts are that you won't get dak for under 30..... and there are no gaurantees to find enough players in draft and FA to build the fantasy defense you are dreaming up and that with additional 10 mill savings you are mentioning (couple of Jags or one serviceable defensive player). you are not going to get a top end player with that much money. and we need a lot of players on the defense to make it dominant. CB, saftey, LB, DT, DE.

and you still have to find/pay a QB...in a limited market.

lets not assume you are walking into Macy's and picking QBs off the rack as you like.
Does Brady want to come here? maybe if we throw a ton of money at him (there goes your defense).

Does tannehill want to come here? not sure. why would he, unless you throw money at him (there goes your defense).

Heeeelllll no to Keenum

Dak doesn't have a deal as they are negotiating. he bet on himself. and he had a good season (statistically speaking). and he is negotiating. latest is that he wants a shorter deal (probably one that he can get out of in 3 years) and cowboys want a longer deal.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you do anything, it's trade up for Burrow which doesn't even make sense with how much we would have to give up. However, I would consider a cheap Mariota in case we tag Dak and he won't play under the tag.
heck no to mariotta. we know he is not capable. we know he is limited. he is back up material and probably a good back up, but nothing more.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am not afraid of alterntives. I don't think Keenum is worth it and will be a waste of any money or time as he will not get you there. he is not capable of getting your there unless he walks into the perfect storm. there is a reason 7 head coaches and so many teams have never held on to him, Texans twice!!....so worrying about saving a few million dollars (instead of 30 we are talking 34) and going with bargain basement ain't going to bring in a superbowl. its a QB driven league whether we like it or not.... grapolo at the time got a record contract too!!! and he is not available...is Tannehill available? how much is he going to ask for? and would he want to come here instead of Titans where he is now familiar with them and took them to AFC championship game....the problem is Keenum is not 2nd tier, he is 4th tier.....and the other ones may not be available.....

facts are that you won't get dak for under 30..... and there are no gaurantees to find enough players in draft and FA to build the fantasy defense you are dreaming up and that with additional 10 mill savings you are mentioning (couple of Jags or one serviceable defensive player). you are not going to get a top end player with that much money. and we need a lot of players on the defense to make it dominant. CB, saftey, LB, DT, DE.

and you still have to find/pay a QB...in a limited market.

lets not assume you are walking into Macy's and picking QBs off the rack as you like.
Does Brady want to come here? maybe if we throw a ton of money at him (there goes your defense).

Does tannehill want to come here? not sure. why would he, unless you throw money at him (there goes your defense).

Heeeelllll no to Keenum

Dak doesn't have a deal as they are negotiating. he bet on himself. and he had a good season (statistically speaking). and he is negotiating. latest is that he wants a shorter deal (probably one that he can get out of in 3 years) and cowboys want a longer deal.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

theres some options on that list plus other who might be cut plus the draft..it doesnt have to be Keenum..we need to replace rush anyway and like I keep saying plan b is needed IF Dak holds out , why not get a better option then Rush?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Some share the same opinion of Dak.
everyone is entitled to their opinion....you are new to dak love/hate debates on this board.

but with that said...Dak is heck of a lot better than Mariota...Mariotta is washed up before he even got started. time for him to go to the bench.

Dak still doesn't have a losing season on his record.

you still haven't answered the Garrett question.....I guess you are trying to think of a spin...not giving any specifics and making accusations without proof or substance

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

theres some options on that list plus other who might be cut plus the draft..it doesnt have to be Keenum..we need to replace rush anyway and like I keep saying plan b is needed IF Dak holds out , why not get a better option then Rush?
I would take brady and brees off the list. both will cost a lot and realistically you are not going to get them to dallas.
Manning is retiring, he has sucked for couple of years and got benched and replaced by a rookie.
Rivers is probably done. he is what manning was two years ago....he hasn't looked good in a couple of years. time for retirement.
People will make argument for bridge water, but he is a high risk signing that may not be cheap. hasn't shown enough to garner big money, but may want big money
forget Winston...he is a head case
forget Mariotta, he is a good bench player and back at this point in his career
People may make a case for tannehill, but Titans will make a strong push to keep him. why would he come to dallas? how much will he cost

the rest really suck...I mean really suck. waste of time and money even if they are veteran minimums. none of them are capable of taking you to the promise land.

every year there are a lot of players in FA. a lot of QBs. but the good list is very limited....I don't see many options that are REALISTIC and GOOD. except for Tannehill, Dak, Rivers....I think Tannehill stays with Titans. I rather not have rivers. his goose is cooked.

btw, as I mentioned, I have been one of biggest dak critics where he deserved criticism. people called me a Hater.....I neither care for a player nor love or hate them. I love the cowboys and want the best for them to succeed. without emotional feelings one way or the other, or without being a meaningless troll like Leeblair.

DCBlueStar

Reaction score
Not one single name on that list is an upgrade. At all. Pay Dak and draft a QB (at least) every other year. And not just any QB just to say you drafted one... a QB that has actual talent and intelligence that can be worked with.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Where did you hear that? The disagreement was over years, not the average salary. Cowboys want a seven year deal and Dak wants a shorter deal so he can cash in again after the new cba.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You make a lot of assumptions based on nothing but your opinion. All the evidence says your opinion is incorrect as they have said emphatically that they want Dak long term but want to negotiate a fair deal for both sides that will allow the team to be able to sign more of their own. You know, manage the cap for consistent success.