If this draft is so deep at WR, why not double up

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is where we disagree. Look around the NFL today, big, possession type of receivers are still productive. Julio Jones, Hopkins, Michael Thomas, etc. They demand double coverage on a consistent basis. I fully understanding the league is changing, where many smaller receivers are more effective now, due to playing more in space. However, when you look across the league, how many receivers are considered elite that fit this type of profile? Hill, Hilton, maybe Cooks. It doesn't mean you don't target such a receiver, but teams need to make sure such a receiver has more in his toolbox outside of elite speed. They may have dominated on the college level with their superior talent, but they need more on the highest level. Ruggs, seems to have depth in his game, but I'm not sure a player like Hamler does.
Possession WR infers limited athlete.

That is not a description of Julio Jones...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This is where we disagree. Look around the NFL today, big, possession type of receivers are still productive. Julio Jones, Hopkins, Michael Thomas, etc. They demand double coverage on a consistent basis. I fully understanding the league is changing, where many smaller receivers are more effective now, due to playing more in space. However, when you look across the league, how many receivers are considered elite that fit this type of profile? Hill, Hilton, maybe Cooks. It doesn't mean you don't target such a receiver, but teams need to make sure such a receiver has more in his toolbox outside of elite speed. They may have dominated on the college level with their superior talent, but they need more on the highest level. Ruggs, seems to have depth in his game, but I'm not sure a player like Hamler does.

I agree with your assessment on both Ruggs and Hamler. Ruggs can do it all, IMO, but with Hamler, I would worry about his overall skill set being too narrow to be much more than a slot guy.

Essentially, I see Ruggs as Tyreek Hill and Hamler as Beasley. It is why I’d be fine taking Ruggs at 17 while Hamler is more of a third round type, IMO.

I’ve heard people say that they think Ruggs will be better outside than in the slot... but that he’d be really good in the slot too. He is a complete WR. Really strong for a speed guy too and doesn’t mind contact.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I would be absolutely thrilled to go something like:

Ruggs: 1, Van Jefferson: 4
Reagor: 2, Pittman: 3
Mims: 2, Hamler: 4

Really hard to guess where guys are going to go, but I'd be all for it.

Having said that, we don't know what this staff thinks of Devin Smith, Cedrick Wilson, or even JVJ.
Cedrick Wilson is a JAG. No burst, no speed. He needs to be cut.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are all well aware the team has a priority need for the #3 Receiver, preferably more of a slot receiver. Just like the nickel CB, the slot receiver is like another starter in today's game.

Both Cooper/Gallup have the skill set to not only play on the outside, but also can play in the slot if needed. You would think they would want to draft a similar type of receiver, one who has the ability to play inside/outside.

Cooper played hurt for the majority of last season, the team needs to protect themselves and find a backup, outside receiver who has the ability to produce as a spot starter if needed. What about special teams? If the team is going to make a backup, active on game day they are going to have to contribute on special teams. This hurt Devin Smith last season. With the team looking to improve that unit, you would think they target receivers who have strong special teams abilities.

If the position is so deep in the draft, why not double dip. Certainly would like to find another Cooper/Gallup type, but if they can't, why not draft a legitimate outside starting caliber receiver and one who can play in the slot. Perhaps target receivers who have strong special team abilities so they can be active on gamedays.
There is no guarantee you are getting a good player even early on day 3. Deep doesnt mean never ending

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree speed also can force teams to double cover. What about Cooper? He is a legitimate deep threat. The Chiefs are totally different cause of their great QB. Dak isn't on his level in terms of accruacy and arm strength. He need more of a receiver who has a large catch radius due to his inaccruacy at the position.

Prescott's inaccuracy is overblown. That being said, I also think it's overblown to suggest that KCs success is tied to their WRs. Some here have tried to argue that Prescott is basically Mahomes if you give him KCs WRs, which I also think is a stretch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are all well aware the team has a priority need for the #3 Receiver, preferably more of a slot receiver. Just like the nickel CB, the slot receiver is like another starter in today's game.

Both Cooper/Gallup have the skill set to not only play on the outside, but also can play in the slot if needed. You would think they would want to draft a similar type of receiver, one who has the ability to play inside/outside.

Cooper played hurt for the majority of last season, the team needs to protect themselves and find a backup, outside receiver who has the ability to produce as a spot starter if needed. What about special teams? If the team is going to make a backup, active on game day they are going to have to contribute on special teams. This hurt Devin Smith last season. With the team looking to improve that unit, you would think they target receivers who have strong special teams abilities.

If the position is so deep in the draft, why not double dip. Certainly would like to find another Cooper/Gallup type, but if they can't, why not draft a legitimate outside starting caliber receiver and one who can play in the slot. Perhaps target receivers who have strong special team abilities so they can be active on gamedays.

A draft that is deep at a specific position tends to mean that an above average number of players at the position are picked in the 1st round.

If WR is deep and CB is "weak" then more WRs than average will be drafted in the 1st and less CBs than average.

That means that by the 2nd round the balance of available players at specific positions has started to equalize.

By the 3rd round more WRs than average were selected in both the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Just using arbitrary numbers, now you might have the option of the 12th WR or the 6th CB at your pick in the 3rd.

Having said the above, I'm not against drafting 2 WRs. It's premium position.

I'm in favor of building the Offense with elite players even if the Defense has to make do with mid-level talent.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Possession WR infers limited athlete.

That is not a description of Julio Jones...

My definition of a possession receiver is one who possesses big size, strong hands and is able to make contested catches even when covered. When I say I rather have a possession receiver, I want a #1, big go to receiver. I would classify the likes of Dez, Irvin as more possession #1 WR's. They have the ability to move the sticks, but also deep threats to some degree.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Prescott's inaccuracy is overblown. That being said, I also think it's overblown to suggest that KCs success is tied to their WRs. Some here have tried to argue that Prescott is basically Mahomes if you give him KCs WRs, which I also think is a stretch.

Mahomes if a special talent. I hear some also claim they there is no need for elite corners, cause Kansas City didn't have one. Yeah, when you have a QB who can score 40 in a given game, they have the ability to outscore teams, we don't have such a luxury.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is no guarantee you are getting a good player even early on day 3. Deep doesnt mean never ending

No, but it is possible to might stretch further then other classes. You may get a Gallup type now a round later, especially of teams already addressed their needs at the position.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I could see it happening, but I wouldn’t force it. They have Dez and Tavon Austin post draft; if they don’t get a wide receiver that they want, they’ll sign one or both of them.

But yeah, the wide receivers in this draft are really good.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Its stilly to double up on a position where you have Gallup and Cooper.
Cooper is basically on a 2 yr contract, I believe Gallup is up around the same time. Add in depth behind them and Cooper's durability, drafting a starting caliber WR makes sense. Could they draft one who can play in the slot and on the outside? Of coarse.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cooper is basically on a 2 yr contract, I believe Gallup is up around the same time. Add in depth behind them and Cooper's durability, drafting a starting caliber WR makes sense. Could they draft one who can play in the slot and on the outside? Of coarse.

How is it smart to. Draft them when you got two receivers under contract? Go draft a guy next year if you must.

RS12

Reaction score
Generally speaking I am about value and BPA. I definitely see a WR but not two. If anything I see a pick forced at TE. I see a double up at db since besides besides having a need there most play special teams thereby justifying the pick.

John813

Reaction score
Suppose we could see a repeat of the 2018 draft, that had a good WR class pre draft as well.

Day 2 and day 3 picks on receivers if the board falls that way. Gallup in 2nd and Wilson in the 6th.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Mahomes if a special talent. I hear some also claim they there is no need for elite corners, cause Kansas City didn't have one. Yeah, when you have a QB who can score 40 in a given game, they have the ability to outscore teams, we don't have such a luxury.

KC is not the blueprint on how to build a roster. They have the best QB on the planet and one that could go down as one of the best of all time.

Dallas and just about every other team out there do not and have to understand the offense isn’t always going to score 30+ and bail out the defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Suppose we could see a repeat of the 2018 draft, that had a good WR class pre draft as well.

Day 2 and day 3 picks on receivers if the board falls that way. Gallup in 2nd and Wilson in the 6th.

We got Gallup in the 3rd, and this class is even better. I like the idea of the 3rd and 6th, unless an exceptional value presents itself earlier.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1 WR should be enough. Sheesh, the defense needs all the help they can get. Besides, if the draft is so at WR the UDFA should have real talent available.

DanA

Reaction score
We should definately double up. We essentially need to replace Cobb and Austin.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My definition of a possession receiver is one who possesses big size, strong hands and is able to make contested catches even when covered. When I say I rather have a possession receiver, I want a #1, big go to receiver. I would classify the likes of Dez, Irvin as more possession #1 WR's. They have the ability to move the sticks, but also deep threats to some degree.
That"s not the common usage of the term.

#1 WR with elite contested ball skills is what you want.

There was a huge difference in Dez and Irvin. One was an elite route runner. The other one just ran around randomly while Romo ran around waiting for him to get a little separation before throwing him a jump ball.