If Urban Meyers was the hire

dckid

Reaction score
Are we still this bad?
We hired a coach @ 9 million bucks per year or whatever he is making to be the guy who turns on the lights or checks that the back door is locked.
LOL

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Are we still this bad?
Heck No. Because he would have demanded Football control and leadership. This is what real Head Coaches require. Do you realize what a leadership combination Urban Meyer and Dak Prescott would have on this Cowboys team.

Look at Urban Meyer track record. He leads teams to undefeated seasons and championship and has coached on every level but the NFL just like that other Cowboys Head Coach that Tex, Gil, and John Wooten recurited named Jimmy Johnson.

Plus Urban Meyer has that unique eye that Jimmy Johnson had for talent. Not the talent present but the talent to groom to stardom. See Alex Smith and Tim Tebow. The man went undefeated with teams QB by Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, and the 3 headed monster of Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller, and J. T. Barrett. Then look at the NFL prospects that came out of his Head Coaching from Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio St., who has put out more prospects in the NFL than the U in the 80's. Maybe not the U in the 80's but darn close.

Again, Jerry Jones does not care about winning Super Bowls. He cares about being the Owner in total control of America's Team. Results do not matter now. As he said, he has his stadium.

garyo1954

Reaction score
If.....if......uh......if Don Shula, Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and Vince Lombardi were the coaching staff would this team win three games?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly why I wanted him over anyone else. I’d rather have joe judge than McCarthy I was so happy when giants were rumored to be hiring McCarthy cause I didn’t want him here. Who loses with the best QB in the game? Rodgers should have 2-3 rings not 1.
The Dolphins with Marino. Peyton only got his 2nd SB win because of the Bronoco's defense - he wasn't very good that year or in the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying McCarthy was the best possible hire, but unless you have Brady and Belichick getting to and winning the SB is not easy, regardless of how good the QB is, and that's especially true of getting to and winning it a 2nd time. The overall team does matter.

quickccc

Reaction score
Are we still this bad?

yes ... We can't be running that kind of offense for this NFL team. Also i like having either THE or top three offenses n NFL.
And just imagine if we truly had a 2016 zeke impact run game to this Dak pass offense.

Like Nick Saban , Urban might need to stay at the college level.

While we are talking college coaches and offenses- i'm NOT a proponent of OU Lincoln Riley here either. All offense pizzaz and Never pays
the attention to his defense that sorely needs vast attention to. .. same would happen here.

A HC is more than X's and O's offense .. just like Sean Payton grew to be ,he has to oversee the entire team both sides of the ball and special teams
and many times that;s what makes differences in a HC vs coordinators ...and college vs NFL

:rolleyes:

quickccc

Reaction score
My only concerned with McCarthy was what he would bring in as coordinators .

.1) Great that he retained Kellen Moore and basically Moore is still calling same offense he did a year before.

2) the flip side of that was his choices and decisions of his DCs. Just as he held on to a declining Dom Capers that sunk their playoff drives
and seasons in GB. Defense clearly has been the sore issues with McCarthy 's demise- just as it continues to be BIG time with his new team in Dallas.
Ironically the year MM won the SB, his defense was near or dead last in NFL total yards surrendered but somehow managed to lead NFL in turnovers.

Slick

Reaction score
No
I think the reason he was not hired is because he wanted control and Jerry wont give it up
Bill P left for that reason, and no good coach would entertain coming here. He'd get the blame for Jerry's players.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Urban Meyers wouldn’t of hired Nolan and he would of come in with serious power over these soft players...

Plankton

Reaction score
The Dolphins with Marino. Peyton only got his 2nd SB win because of the Bronoco's defense - he wasn't very good that year or in the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying McCarthy was the best possible hire, but unless you have Brady and Belichick getting to and winning the SB is not easy, regardless of how good the QB is, and that's especially true of getting to and winning it a 2nd time. The overall team does matter.

Marino wasn't a better QB than Joe Montana.

SSoup

Reaction score
Overall, I don't think it makes much difference. The defense would've been a tiny bit better (the players are still terrible but he hires someone not named Nolan to run the defense and that helps a tiny bit)... but the offense would've taken a step backwards starting over with a new system if he runs his own offense instead of sticking with Kellen Moore.

I'm not as enamored with Meyer as most people. His success at Florida and Ohio State means not much of anything to me because of the talent advantages he enjoyed with the level of players he got to accumulate. I find his time at Bowling Green or Utah much more relevant, in terms of his ability to produce with rosters of guys who are mostly nothing special compared to the average opponent. His knack for maximizing the rushing production from quarterbacks is interesting since he'd have been working with Dak, who could run and be a good redzone weapon in that way.

Basically he's just a good offensive coach. And that's not anywhere close to being a problem here.

As a head coach, he also has a history of building programs with a bad culture where he coddles and enables bad behavior and allows (or actively helps) the bad people to get away with anything if they're talented. He doesn't come in here and whip us into shape and fix our culture problem. I think he'd come in here and make a mess because he and Jerry (who shares his willingness to collect garbage people and enforce different sets of rules based on who he favors because of star status) would likely be like two horses running in harness together towards a lot of the same profoundly awful decisions when it comes to not holding players accountable or forcing them to grow.

Now, since we need to be rebuilding, I think a college coach with lots of college connections would be useful in the drafting process.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the first sign of trouble he would have a medical issue mysteriously pop up and retire early.