If we could trade for Aaron Donald , Earl thomas or Rob gronkowski who would you pick and for what

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It's an example. Elite players hit free agancy.

I never really know if people just refuse to understand a very simple concept such as the fact Cox was an example or if people are really just too dumb to comprehend.

Suh departed Detroit as a free agent in his prime.

Revis ended up on the Patriots at one point.

The 2nd best OG in the NFL changed teams this offseason.

A top 5 or better OG, DE and CB changed teams last year.

If you expand to top 10 players then the list gets fairly big.

Suh was a headcase. You’d be hard pressed to find a player of Cox’s (or Donald’s) caliber that has hit FA in their prime without serious character issues. At best, that makes your example fanciful and unhelpful. At worst, to use your ill-advised language, it makes it incredibly dumb.

visionary

Reaction score
Yeah. I guess we have different views on the absolute need for a franchise QB. History has shown repeatedly that you don’t need one (a bus driver will do) if you have a dominant D and a dominant run game.

I’d have thought that the concerns about Dak surround whether he can be a franchise QB, not whether he can be a bus driver. But even supposing he can’t (which seems far fetched) it shouldn’t cost a 1st to get us another guy to drive the bus.

What history has shown is that to be a consistent SB contender you have to have a franchise QB. A bus driver can win you one but you would need an all time great defense (which we are not even close to and Donald would not get us there) and an inordinate amount of luck. And even then, the wheels fall off and the team goes down to being mediocre at best afterwards.

Those are very very long odds and exactly the sort of faulty thinking our FO has relied on in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle

Dak, at this point, is a relative unknown. Anyone who knows for sure that he is a franchise QB is clearly smoking something strong.

He may turn out to be great or a bus driver or may he a bust. Jury is still out IMO. It is clear that he had a very tough time with downfield accuracy and that is not the hallmark of a franchise QB.

Let's put it this way, last year Donald played on a team with a QB and HC that are better than our QB and HC and that team did not even sniff the SB let alone win it.

No way am I trading away 2 rd 1 picks for a DT when I don't now fir sure what I have in my QB

JustChip

Reaction score
I'd love to have Donald, but not at a price of 2 firsts. He's worth that, but the problem is if he gets injured, of which you have no guarantees against in such a violent sport, you will have set this franchise back 5+ years. Think back to Joey Galloway.

Gronk is on the descending slope of his career. And IMO isn't a fit for what this teams does offensively (whether their scheme is a problem is a subject for another thread). Plus, he won't have Brady here (hmmm, maybe we could do a package trade - Brady and Gronk).

The most likely and the one I would do is ET. I wouldn't give up a 2nd though, unless it was via a conditional later pick. Say a 4th that escalates to a 3rd and then a 2nd based on certain parameters. My guess is Seattle wouldn't do that , but maybe they do for a 3rd straight up or a 3rd conditional that escalates to a 2nd. The contract cost is an issue - by all appearances he's wanting way more than I would be willing to pay. Maybe that's just public posturing, but I kind of doubt it after reading his "open letter". Bottom line, ET is the target, but only at a reasonable price in terms of picks and contract.

JustChip

Reaction score
That would be dumb. Aaron Donald is worth that and more.

What if he goes down with a serious injury in his first practice after joining the team? Or the 1st game? You've just set the team back 5 years or more.

Too many people only look at a best-case scenario, but the worst-case scenario can't be ignored. Both have to be weighed. I'm not giving up 2 firsts for anyone because the worst-case can happen (just ask Pittsburgh and Shazier). Those 2 first round picks should help the team, maybe not individually as much as Donald, but collectively. Plus, they minimize the risk because it's 2 players rather than 1.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Gronk. But this coaching staff would probably cut him since they only like pure blockers w no receiving skills. Please fire this coaching staff and bring in a receiving te friendly coaching staff with a desire to cut all these one dimensional incomplete tes so we can win a playoff game in our lifetime.