If we don't win the division will we be a road team or home team in the wild card game?

Jayinem

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because of the new format that started last year or the year before with 7 teams. So let's say Eagles get the bye there's 6 teams that play that weekend wouldn't that mean the two other division winners would get a home game and we would get the 3rd home game because we have the best record? Only thing that makes sense to me.

We can still win the division but we not only need to beat the Eagles at home for sure, we need to catch up on another game. This is their schedule

9aXQFAL.png

and our schedule

IGYO35O.png

Unless they go into a real slump we will probably need to win out. Other than winning Eagles game we should except for maybe the Titans game. They don't have a real tough schedule they'll probably need to lose to either the Packers or Titans at home in the next two weeks, or split with the Giants. But the Commands beat them so who knows.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you don't win your division, the best you can be is a five-seed. That means you're starting on the road.

The only way you'd get a home game is if you ran into the sixth or seventh seed in later rounds.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If you don't win your division, the best you can be is a five-seed. That means you're starting on the road.

The only way you'd get a home game is if you ran into the sixth or seventh seed down the road.

Exactly, the only way you host a game as a wildcard team is if all the division winners get knocked off and you're the highest seeded team standing.

Jayinem

Reaction score

That's right for some reason I was thinking there were only 3 divisions in each Conference but there's 4 lol.

I know we haven't done well with the #1 seed but very few teams have won the Super Bowl going on the road the entire time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don’t win the division you won’t host any playoff game unless ALL the division winners lose in the divisional round. Otherwise as a wild card, every playoff game is a road game.

BTW…we haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC championship in SF.

Jayinem

Reaction score
At Tampa is almost certainly our first round game. Not liking that because we are awful against HOF all time QBs.

I think we can beat the Eagles at home, I also think we can win out. (cept maybe Titans Henry may run wild on our poor run defense) The question is can someone else besides us beat the Eagles, not a real tough schedule. But we would win the tie breaker in that situation.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I think we can beat the Eagles at home, I also think we can win out. (cept maybe Titans Henry may run wild on our poor run defense) The question is can someone else besides us beat the Eagles, not a real tough schedule. But we would win the tie breaker in that situation.
Eagles easily could have lost to the Colts, so they could certainly lose again. But so could we. Titans are pretty good.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because of the new format that started last year or the year before with 7 teams. So let's say Eagles get the bye there's 6 teams that play that weekend wouldn't that mean the two other division winners would get a home game and we would get the 3rd home game because we have the best record? Only thing that makes sense to me.

We can still win the division but we not only need to beat the Eagles at home for sure, we need to catch up on another game. This is their schedule

9aXQFAL.png

and our schedule

IGYO35O.png

Unless they go into a real slump we will probably need to win out. Other than winning Eagles game we should except for maybe the Titans game. They don't have a real tough schedule they'll probably need to lose to either the Packers or Titans at home in the next two weeks, or split with the Giants. But the Commands beat them so who knows.
Yep…..and odds are that we will play at SF opening week.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Yep…..and odds are that we will play at SF opening week.

If we're a wild card team we would face the worst division winner, right now that would be the Bucs. Could change to SF by then though, but definitely looks like it would be one of the two unless the Vikings completely spiral out.

plymkr

Reaction score

9aXQFAL.png

and our schedule

IGYO35O.png

I'm not completely convinced the Eagles will win the division. They play us, the Giants twice and the titans. With the Giants losing today to us, they will have to win out to keep their playoff hopes alive. So they'll be hard games for the Eagles, we'll be a hard game and so will the titans. I truly believe if we win out we'll win the division and the 1st seed.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I'm not completely convinced the Eagles will win the division. They play us, the Giants twice and the titans. With the Giants losing today to us, they will have to win out to keep their playoff hopes alive. So they'll be hard games for the Eagles, we'll be a hard game and so will the titans. I truly believe if we win out we'll win the division and the 1st seed.
Titans aren’t a good matchup for us. But we could possibly run the table

gmb1

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish the NFL did away with divisions so the seedings can go by who has the better record. I'm not interesting in the Cowboys going to San Fran or Tampa Bay. :(