If we give Irving a 1st round tender

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
A first-round tender will cost $3.91 million. Do you think it's necessary to pay Irving that to keep him?

Personally, I'd take a 2nd-round pick for him right now.
Who are you going to find in the 2nd round that’s better? No way.

A first round pick or he stays.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
There's a former safety from Maryland serving his second tour in Iraq that I have my eye on.
That's cute. You can have your eye on anybody all day, everyday up to the draft.
The Cowboys FO will have their eye on another Taco, or Escobar, or Gregory, etc...

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I don't want a junky 20-32 pick for Irving. Then I have wait three years to see any freaking production only to find out he was a bust.

You know. Everyone will start posting : what do you expect he's a rookie just give him 2-3 years then we'll judge. In the meantime we getting beat up the middle like nerds in a schoolyard

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I hope so.

Converting a ps player to a first rounder is crazy value.
If the 2015 draft could be re-done, David Irving would be a top 15 pick based on what is known now. You are not swapping a PS player for a 1st round pick. You are swapping a 24 year old, loaded with talent, who has single handedly taken over games in stretches over the past 2 years. You are swapping a young player who paired with DLaw could form one of the better pass rushes that we have had in a long, long time for an unproven, unknown first round pick. No thank you....

jday

Reaction score
Do you think another team might try to sign him?

Does tendering open the possibility of losing him?

Should we try and lock him up long term?

If a team does give him and offer sheet, do you match or take the first round pick?
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I get the value of turning a practice squad player into a first round pick, but right now he is playing better than every first round dlineman taken this year. I suspect the same will be true next year, so why let him go for a first rounder that offers no guarantees we will actually replace his production? I think it'd be better to sign him long term and be done with it.

Sydla

Reaction score
A first round tender would net you TWO first round picks, right?

For two first rounders, I'd consider letting him walk.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then yeah I am not sure id let him walk.
For me its what value are you getting. If someone is going to throw tag money him, and you get top 15 pick back. Let him walk.

However, if they are willing to pay him market value. You match

Shinaoi

Reaction score
He’s probably better then the first round pick would be, but depending on the spot, I would take pick for multiple reasons.

Mostly for money reasons. I’m still not sure about paying him big time. A top 15 pick we can have for the next 5 years cheap would be very nice.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
At what pick does it goes from 4 to 5 years on the rookie deal?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think another team might try to sign him?

Does tendering open the possibility of losing him?

Should we try and lock him up long term?

If a team does give him and offer sheet, do you match or take the first round pick?
Yes
No
Yes
Match