If we give Irving a 1st round tender

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford is playing at a high level as well. He's not getting elite money, and after all the elite DTs got their contracts last year, his contract is small in comparison. Especially with how it's structured.

Teams need players like Crawford and getting rid of him won't be a + for this team. Irving will get his money even with Crawford on the team.

Crawford is, was, and always will be grossly overpaid.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Do you think another team might try to sign him?

Does tendering open the possibility of losing him?

Should we try and lock him up long term?

If a team does give him and offer sheet, do you match or take the first round pick?

If teams were willing to pay first round tenders to sign players Malcolm Butler would def be playing somewhere else.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
And I hope not.

He's an animal and we're lucky to even have him.

It would be a huge loss to lose him.

Isn't the highest tender a 1st and 3rd? We could blow those picks like nobody's business.

RS12

Reaction score
Anybody notice Irving was out and the team recorded exactly zero sacks against a bad Giants O Line Sunday? Doubt it was a coincidence.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
A guy who has proven himself in the league or a late 1st rounder to draft another pass rusher who may or may not show up, and we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years to see... no thanks.

Or pay a guy a bunch of money and give up picks vs have a guy on a cheap contract 4 years. It's no secret getting paid changes the majority of players work ethic.

Verdict

Reaction score
Do you think another team might try to sign him?

Does tendering open the possibility of losing him?

Should we try and lock him up long term?

If a team does give him and offer sheet, do you match or take the first round pick?

I'm not sure Irving is worth a first round pick, let alone a first round pick AND the salary it will take to sign him. That's probably too rich for any team to give up.

If you could sign him for what it would take for a contract commensurate for a late first round pick then maybe that alters the scenario a little bit.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't want a junky 20-32 pick for Irving. Then I have wait three years to see any freaking production only to find out he was a bust.

You know. Everyone will start posting : what do you expect he's a rookie just give him 2-3 years then we'll judge. In the meantime we getting beat up the middle like nerds in a schoolyard

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

No doubt that Irving is worth more than the pick PROVIDED he doesn't get suspended again for a year. Even assuming he won't be suspended, I think we would have to know what he will cost us to keep him.

It's an inexact science, for sure, but if the salary is reasonable and the pick is a low first rounder, and he can stay eligible I would rather have the player.

Verdict

Reaction score
Exactly
In Irving’s case you don’t want even a nibble

Unless the Cowboys want him to get snagged because he is more of a problem than the public is aware. In that case you want them to take him off your hands.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
And I hope not.

He's an animal and we're lucky to even have him.

It would be a huge loss to lose him.

Exactly. Who here has faith that the Jones will pick a better player at the end of the first round?

Verdict

Reaction score
And you trust JG and this FO to find us a good defensive player? Go back and look at all the defensive players we picked during the JG era. It's not pretty.

With the 1str round pick we'd get from Irving, we'll probably end up drafting a player like Mo or BJones.

That's a bit unfair since they did find Lawrence and Irving, and Sean Lee and well, you get the picture.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
A first-round tender will cost $3.91 million. Do you think it's necessary to pay Irving that to keep him?

Personally, I'd take a 2nd-round pick for him right now.
He’s worth 8-10 million a year on the open market. I’d offer 5 years 40 million now. 3.91 million is nothing for Irving.

Them

Reaction score
...I wouldn't rock the boat with Irvin just yet!...They need him...pay him what you can to keep him.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
See you all are way more ready to give him money than I am. That’s why I see a 1-19 pick I take it.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
People always neglect the most important part of a player for pick trade: money.

Irving would command big money. Probably 11+ mil/year.

A mid first rounder would get about 11 mil - over four years.

Significant difference. You're not only trading Irving for a pick, you're trading him for a big chunk of cap space.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I don't want a junky 20-32 pick for Irving. Then I have wait three years to see any freaking production only to find out he was a bust.

You know. Everyone will start posting : what do you expect he's a rookie just give him 2-3 years then we'll judge. In the meantime we getting beat up the middle like nerds in a schoolyard

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

There are a bunch of rookie DE making impacts for their teams. Just so happens ours could trade places with the waterboy and you'd never know the difference. You're hope is probably just ruined by our last 2 DE picks.