If we just pay everyone

kskboys

Reaction score
Salaries are driven by scarcity. Gurley, Barkley , and Zeke are anomolies. The AFC pro bowl roster at rb last year featured 3rd rounder, a rookie undrafted free agent, and a 4th rounder. Point is .....teams have limited resources and don't need to spend them on rbs.
Since Zeke is a generational talent, I'd say he was the exception. And he's proven to be a huge difference maker. The 10cent head is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since Zeke is a generational talent, I'd say he was the exception. And he's proven to be a huge difference maker. The 10cent head is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a difference maker. Is it enough though and can we find 1400 yards for less money. He might be asking something cray.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't mind the players making the money, but 50 million bucks is being sneezed at and called "disrespecting". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I used to think I'd always be a football fan, but I'm starting to wonder.

I hear what you are saying ksk but you have to consider that they are only a product of the business environment they are in. If you were making 50k a year and the guy across the street doing the same thing at approximately the same level or worse and he was making 80k, all other things being equal, you'd be feeling pretty underappreciated/disrespected by your company, no?

kskboys

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying ksk but you have to consider that they are only a product of the business environment they are in. If you were making 50k a year and the guy across the street doing the same thing at approximately the same level or worse and he was making 80k, all other things being equal, you'd be feeling pretty underappreciated/disrespected by your company, no?
Possibly, but there's a monster of a difference in that salary range and making millions.

kskboys

Reaction score
He is a difference maker. Is it enough though and can we find 1400 yards for less money. He might be asking something cray.
It's not the yards. It's the tough yards, as well as the attention he draws from the opposing D, which opens up other plays.

And no, I do not believe we'd be wise to pay him 20 mil/season.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Possibly, but there's a monster of a difference in that salary range and making millions.
Everything is relative. His talents place him in a position to be an industry that pays its players 100 million dollar contracts. It is what it is.

Rayman70

Reaction score
generational talent doesn't equate a common sensical person off the field. Its very risky to break the bank all in one offseason and shortsided. He can revisit this deal next year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Everything is relative. His talents place him in a position to be an industry that pays its players 100 million dollar contracts. It is what it is.
Of course. I couldn't care less what he makes, except as it pertains to the salary cap. If Jerry could pay him a billion dollars and it not count against the cap, I'd be all for it.

And yes, in his position I'd consider taking a bit less in order to win. He'll be rich either way, so fighting for a few extra million seems futile to me.

Blackrain

Reaction score
And yet if we max out 5-6 players, the rest of the roster will suffer and we won't have a chance anyway. Think the triplets. After we paid them, the roster slowly went down hill. Won't be any different.

Agreed Im hoping although unproven Kellen Moore provides an offensive attack that can make use of guys like Pollard and Webber . This would possibly afford us the luxury of trading Zeke and saving money while either picking up a player we need like a safety or a good draft pick.

Its all a gamble if the offense dose not improve we are very dependent on the running game for watchable football and Zeke insures this at what is appearing to be an astronomical price . The big question is if we need them can RB by committee serve our purpose . WR by Committee failed last year and we needed to add top talent to survive .

IMO if anyone needs to not get paid its Zeke his work ethic and off field antics are that of someone who will crash and burn us after a big payday and before there contract is up .

just my 2 cents

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
as some are suggesting, it's back to 8-8. That is what this formula gets you. Paying a few stars a ton of money always leads back to mediocrity. Especially if they're mostly on one side of the ball.
You said it without even having to prove to the entire world what your already proven point is.
History proves its points, over and over again, you are exactly right, but the owner of this franchise is feeling father time breathing down the back of his neck a bit.
I live me some Jerry, I really do, but he does not care about what the intellectual fan base wants, Jerry want another ring,, and I don't blame him.
This team is Jerrys,, its not ours....lol
We just pay part of the bills, Jerry picks up the rest, and he can make any decision he wants,, He owns the Cowboys.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Spot on is the 10 cent head going to affect his ability to be available to be that difference maker after we have invested the money and had to let problem free talent walk

kskboys

Reaction score
Agreed Im hoping although unproven Kellen Moore provides an offensive attack that can make use of guys like Pollard and Webber . This would possibly afford us the luxury of trading Zeke and saving money while either picking up a player we need like a safety or a good draft pick.

Its all a gamble if the offense dose not improve we are very dependent on the running game for watchable football and Zeke insures this at what is appearing to be an astronomical price . The big question is if we need them can RB by committee serve our purpose . WR by Committee failed last year and we needed to add top talent to survive .

IMO if anyone needs to not get paid its Zeke his work ethic and off field antics are that of someone who will crash and burn us after a big payday and before there contract is up .

just my 2 cents
IMO, this all comes down to M/K. (Moore/Kitna). They must overcome the general playcalling mess of JG. I'm hoping Jason stays out of it.

RB by committee still comes down to talent. If Pollard/Weber can move the chains, the need for Zeke goes way down.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It doesn't pay its rbs 100 million dollars.
Sorry, just using 100 mil as an arbitrary number as there are contracts for that amount.

However, it does pay it's top RB's in the 50- 60 million dollar range, which is I believe where Zeke wants to be. Which he should, because that's what the market rate for a RB with his skillset and yearly performance dictates. Not saying we should be the ones to pay it, but that is where his value is at on the market.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, just using 100 mil as an arbitrary number as there are contracts for that amount.

However, it does pay it's top RB's in the 50- 60 million dollar range, which is I believe where Zeke wants to be. Which he should, because that's what the market rate for a RB with his skillset and yearly performance dictates. Not saying we should be the ones to pay it, but that is where his value is at on the market.

According to Stephen Jones, they've offered Zeke a contract that would pay him top 5 money. That is pretty generous considering Dallas still has 2 cheap years left on his rookie contract.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
According to Stephen Jones, they've offered Zeke a contract that would pay him top 5 money. That is pretty generous considering Dallas still has 2 cheap years left on his rookie contract.
And you and I think that's probably a fair offer. If you step back from it and look at it from his viewpoint as a business though, he led the league in rushing 2 out of the past 3 years. He can make a legitimate argument that top 5 isn't good enough. Top 1 is.

It's the argument that I would make if it was my business.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Of course. I couldn't care less what he makes, except as it pertains to the salary cap. If Jerry could pay him a billion dollars and it not count against the cap, I'd be all for it.

And yes, in his position I'd consider taking a bit less in order to win. He'll be rich either way, so fighting for a few extra million seems futile to me.

Yes and I'm sure the Cowboys have tried to explain to him the value of that concept. However, to grasp that concept requires reasoning.
Greed says just grab as much as you can grab, as fast as you can grab it and to H-E- double hockey sticks with reasoning.

I like Atlanta Cowboy's solution he mentioned earlier, place a limit on salaries based on a percentage of the cap so that 2 or 3 players can't kill the cap for the rest of the team. That's the only way to slow down some of these cap hogs.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you and I think that's probably a fair offer. If you step back from it and look at it from his viewpoint as a business though, he led the league in rushing 2 out of the past 3 years. He can make a legitimate argument that top 5 isn't good enough. Top 1 is.

It's the argument that I would make if it was my business.

I understand his side. But, i'm a cowboy fan not a Zeke fan. I thought taking a rb at #4 was a mistake, and paying him 17+ million per year after only 3 seasons would be an even bigger mistake. Then you factor in the yearly bailing him out of embarrassing situations........he's a knucklehead off the field.

He may have the talent but he's no Dorsett or Emmitt.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes and I'm sure the Cowboys have tried to explain to him the value of that concept. However, to grasp that concept requires reasoning.
Greed says just grab as much as you can grab, as fast as you can grab it and to H-E- double hockey sticks with reasoning.

Well, its not about winning for Zeke. Its about being respected. He needs to be the top paid guy at his position b/c its the only way he'll ever be happy. Winning? He did that at OSU for free. He's good on the winning........its about money now.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I understand his side. But, i'm a cowboy fan not a Zeke fan. I thought taking a rb at #4 was a mistake, and paying him 17+ million per year after only 3 seasons would be an even bigger mistake. Then you factor in the yearly bailing him out of embarrassing situations........he's a knucklehead off the field.

He may have the talent but he's no Dorsett or Emmitt.
I'm with you, I'm a Dallas fan first. Like I said, I don't necessarily think we should be the ones that pay him what he wants, but I understand why he wants it. Plus this is America. He who dies with the most toys wins and all that.