If You Can't See This With Dak

LovinItAll

Reaction score
...then I don't know what to say.

During the regular course of most games, he doesn't have the 'arrogance' (or whatever it is) of, say, Aaron Rodgers. His accuracy is suspect, he holds the ball too long, etc.

But then.....

When he **must make a play**, something happens:

- 3rd and long against the Bucs, he throws a perfect - and VERY difficult - pass to Gallup.

- MASSIVE 4th qtr/ot against the Eagles.

- Down 21-3 against GB in the biggest game of his life, he comes alive and ties us up at 31.

...and on and on.

When Dak stops thinking, he starts doing. What does it take to bring that mindset to bear for an entire game? I don't know. I DO know that some QBs shrink in the face of adversity, while others rise up. Dak steps up. One might say that during his entire rookie season, he played with that mindset. He knew if he faltered, Romo would be back in and he'd go back to being just another 4th round pick. He stepped up and made sure the coaches had to leave him on the field.

I think he'll figure it out. Many here think he won't. There is no question that he has the physical attributes to be a very good QB. He has the mental fortitude as well. Maybe he needs a good QB coach. He definitely needs a good sports psychologist.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Nonsense

Did he "make a play" when he fumbled against the Saints when we could've put the game out of reach?

Did he "make a play" when he fumbled the game away on the last drive vs Carolina?

Did he "make a play" when we got shut out vs the Colts?

I can go on and on

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Dak is in his 3rd year. QBs improve every year they play, whether it's year 3 or year 13. I think he will improve. Will he improve enough to appease fans and become an elite passer? Only time will tell.

He has confidence and work ethic on his side at the very least.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Nonsense

Did he "make a play" when he fumbled against the Saints when we could've put the game out of reach?

Did he "make a play" when he fumbled the game away on the last drive vs Carolina?

I can go on and on

How’s the Achilles?

Dunks3001

Reaction score
You know something I kind of agree with OP. I've done my fair share of criticizing Dak, like we all have, but there is something to be said about his ability to win a game or put a game away. I can't say he's gotten better as a QB through 3 years and I'm hoping a coaching change will fix that. Just take Dak away from the argument real quick.. how many times have different WRs talked about how predictable the scheme is? Dez, Beasly, Hurns, ... you can go all the way back to when Owens was playing and he said the same thing. I'm hoping with a new OC and QB coach Dak can improve in the way we want to see him improve.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Nonsense

I can go on and on

Actually, you can't go on and on. He's the winningest NFC QB since he entered the league. Unless you expect us to go undefeated every year, then yes, there will be games we lose due to a number of factors, including QB play. The same can be said for every team and QB in the league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nonsense

I can go on and on

Go on........

LovinItAll

Reaction score
He’s aight, he ain’t complete garbage, he can win if he stops allowing the coaches and owner’s kid to stick him in a square hole...

Not sure he can simply disregard the game plan just because he wants to do something different. He doesn't have that kind of 'equity' yet (not sure what QB does). He can certainly audible out situationally, but I agree that his skillset is not being used most effectively.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Not sure he can simply disregard the game plan just because he wants to do something different. He doesn't have that kind of 'equity' yet (not sure what QB does). He can certainly audible out situationally, but I agree that his skillset is not being used most effectively.

Well he’s expected to be Aaron Rodgers who coincidentally got his coach canned recently, but he’s not that player.. He just needs to “Take matters into his own hands,” at least 3-5 times a game...

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Well he’s expected to be Aaron Rodgers who coincidentally got his coach canned recently, but he’s not that player.. He just needs to “Take matters into his own hands,” at least 3-5 times a game...

I don't disagree. I think being a 3rd year player combined with his personality stops him from doing that more often, but my guess is we'll see that more as time passes.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak's style of play is conducive to winning games. Part of winning games is controlling the clock. Keeps the D fresh and keeps their O from getting into a rhythm.

If we can fix the red zone O, we're fine.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Dak's style of play is conducive to winning games. Part of winning games is controlling the clock. Keeps the D fresh and keeps their O from getting into a rhythm.

If we can fix the red zone O, we're fine.
Since we don't have the coaching to fix it we will have to depend on getting the Oline healthy as possible as it is our usual fix for most problems on offense .

Plus I would add a simple rule to Daks practice routine at the count of 3 Mississippi either run or get the ball out period . It would solve a multitude of problems . Cant recall anything Good happening for him after that 3 count

kskboys

Reaction score
Since we don't have the coaching to fix it we will have to depend on getting the Oline healthy as possible as it is our usual fix for most problems on offense .

Plus I would add a simple rule to Daks practice routine at the count of 3 Mississippi either run or get the ball out period . It would solve a multitude of problems . Cant recall anything Good happening for him after that 3 count
Ouch. I think your last paragraph is right. Ouch.

Thing is, that's the type of thing Dak is not getting in practice. I just don't see the improvement that should be happening, and the only time I saw the requisite adjustment in schemes is when Linehan's butt was on the line, then he called better plays for a game or two. But then, it seems to have gone back to the same old schtick.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Ouch. I think your last paragraph is right. Ouch.

Thing is, that's the type of thing Dak is not getting in practice. I just don't see the improvement that should be happening, and the only time I saw the requisite adjustment in schemes is when Linehan's butt was on the line, then he called better plays for a game or two. But then, it seems to have gone back to the same old schtick.
And Cooper's sort of vanished the last couple of games.