If you could change the outcome

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have been in some great playoff games in their storied history. Especially in the 60s, 70s and 90s. Some we won, some we didn’t.

One question- if you could change the outcome of ONE GAME in Cowboys history, which one would it be and why?

For me, I have three candidates, then I’ll choose one:
1. Dec, 1967-The Ice Bowl vs GB. We lost 21-17 My first “sports cry”. If we had won that, we would have had a SB win in 60s.
2. Jan, 1979- SB XIII- vs Steelers. Lost 35-31. If we had won that we would have been THE team of the 70s and first team to win 3 SBs. Still hurts.
3. Jan, 1982- NFC Championship game vs. Niners- lost 28-27 in infamous “The Catch” game. If we win that game, we would have won against Cincy in SB, and had a SB win in 70s, 80s and 90s.

My pick....the ‘82 loss to Niners. Still hurts. What woulda, coulda, shoulda!

Your pick and why?

John813

Reaction score
2007 Giants playoff game
2014 Packers game
1998 Arizona playoff game

Top two are self explanatory, but the 98 game hurt for me cause after that loss I knew any serious playoff run involving the triplets was over.

2007 #1 for me

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in some great playoff games in their storied history. Especially in the 60s, 70s and 90s. Some we won, some we didn’t.

One question- if you could change the outcome of ONE GAME in Cowboys history, which one would it be and why?

1. Dec, 1967-The Ice Bowl vs GB. We lost 21-17 My first “sports cry”. If we had won that, we would have had a SB win in 60s.
2. Jan, 1979- SB XIII- vs Steelers. Lost 35-31. If we had won that we would have been THE team of the 70s and first team to win 3 SBs. Still hurts.
3. Jan, 1982- NFC Championship game vs. Niners- lost 28-27 in infamous “The Catch” game. If we win that game, we would have won against Cincy in SB, and had a SB win in 70s, 80s and 90s.

Your pick and why?
Same as you. 81 loss to 49ers. I was old enough to be more vested in the outcome and appreciate a Cowboys title at that time.

Other losses that stung were the losses to the Eagles and Commanders in 1980 and 1982 in the NFC Championship games.

All 3 of those were heartbreaking for me, but the 49ers game is the one I would change if I could.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Your pick and why?

Like you, for me it's the '82 loss to the Niners that hurts the most, and the one that haunts me the most. Even so, I would pick either of the Super Bowl losses to the Steelers in the 1970's as the one to change, and for the reasons you mentioned (Team of the 1970's instead of Pittsburgh, and first to win 3 SBs).

I agree we likely would have beat Cincy in the SB had we beat the Niners in 82, and if that were guaranteed I might choose the 82 loss as the one to change. But given that was not a Super Bowl game, I would go with one of the SB losses to the Steelers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Colts Cowboys Super Bowl V 1971. They cheated us out of that game. Bad Fumble recovery call, phantom PI calls, holding calls, just screwed all the way around.

Not even a change of outcome really. Just call the game fair would be enough for me.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

No question. Dallas would have beaten the Bengals for the Super Bowl.

GenoT

Reaction score
1) Ice Bowl

We came close the previous season in our first-ever NFL Champ game, also vs GB (L 34-27), and then to lose to them again, after we’d been leading, on Starr’s sneak...that totally sucked for a then-15yo fan.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
^^^^This, all of this.^^^^ Rooney got his and the league made sure of it!

Damn you Jackie Smith ... luv ya man !

As much as that Jackie Smith drop hurt (and it did hurt - I still remember the anguish), it was only late 3rd quarter and the Cowboys were only 4 points down, so that play did not kill the Cowboys chance to win.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Your pick and why?
I think #2. we should have won that game if not for the drop in the endzone.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Ice Bowl created 'can't win the big one' and 'next years team'. Throw in the 68 Cleveland game where we were big favorites to beat a team we'd already beaten and the Colts SB loss and you'll understand why Bob Lilly threw his helmet after Super Bowl V 40 yards down the field.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
While I was alive and can remember:

1.94 game because that was the SB winner
2. Any game in 2008 where we have lost because I feel like that team was better than the 07 team if everyone stayed healthy. Also, the NFC division was very weak and I think the Cowboys would have a had chance to win the SB against a Steelers team that actually struggled against the Cowboys in the regular season.
3. 14 playoff against the Packers. Still hurt because the Cowboys had plenty of opportunities before and after the Bryant catch.