If you could change the outcome

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
2007 or 2014 for me, it will always make me sad that Romo and Witten never got rings.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score

this one hurt..Billy grew up 15 minutes from my house.

Huge family ..The Waddy family is well known in Boling ,Texas.

Worked with several cousins and extended family members...played softball with several too.I did not like Billy that day though.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in some great playoff games in their storied history. Especially in the 60s, 70s and 90s. Some we won, some we didn’t.

One question- if you could change the outcome of ONE GAME in Cowboys history, which one would it be and why?

For me, I have three candidates, then I’ll choose one:
1. Dec, 1967-The Ice Bowl vs GB. We lost 21-17 My first “sports cry”. If we had won that, we would have had a SB win in 60s.
2. Jan, 1979- SB XIII- vs Steelers. Lost 35-31. If we had won that we would have been THE team of the 70s and first team to win 3 SBs. Still hurts.
3. Jan, 1982- NFC Championship game vs. Niners- lost 28-27 in infamous “The Catch” game. If we win that game, we would have won against Cincy in SB, and had a SB win in 70s, 80s and 90s.

My pick....the ‘82 loss to Niners. Still hurts. What woulda, coulda, shoulda!

Your pick and why?
Jackie catches the ball against Pitt
Super Bowl

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm torn between Super Bowl XIII and the 94 Championship game. Win that Super Bowl and the team of the seventies get a lot more respect. Win then championship game and we go on to win Four straight. Frustrating times:( Benny gets robbed and Deion gets away with robbery:facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in some great playoff games in their storied history. Especially in the 60s, 70s and 90s. Some we won, some we didn’t.

One question- if you could change the outcome of ONE GAME in Cowboys history, which one would it be and why?

1. Dec, 1967-The Ice Bowl vs GB. We lost 21-17 My first “sports cry”. If we had won that, we would have had a SB win in 60s.
2. Jan, 1979- SB XIII- vs Steelers. Lost 35-31. If we had won that we would have been THE team of the 70s and first team to win 3 SBs. Still hurts.
3. Jan, 1982- NFC Championship game vs. Niners- lost 28-27 in infamous “The Catch” game. If we win that game, we would have won against Cincy in SB, and had a SB win in 70s, 80s and 90s.

Your pick and why?
Great picks Bob. No doubt any of those.

I’d add our 1st NFL Championsip year before Ice Bowl which would have have sent us to Super Bowl I. That might have set us up to win next one as well as many others. Next is Super Bowl V where we gave that away.

But most of all we lost 7 of 12 championship games under Landry. We could have fairly easily been to at least 12 Super Bowls in his era ( 5 of first 7) including 7 in 70’s maybe more and set marks never to be broken like UCLA and Celtics did in basketball in that era. We had good enough teams to do so much more.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Number 2, good old Jackie Smith. The PI call was bad, but Roger was pissed after Jackie dropped that pass. Dallas deserved that win. It haunted me the whole 9th grade, summer, training camp, and season.

Another title, and possibly a few more years at the top leading to the SF game in 82. The Cowboys dominance might of led to them having home field, thus negating any SF momentum leading the Cowboys to another title.

Ask a Cowboys fan a question like this and cockamamie theories may not be far behind. I had dreams, big dreams.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We win that 82 championship and that SB and Danny White would be thought of a lot differently by Cowboy fans too. I really do think that was Landry's last great Cowboy team.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What is forgotten about "the catch" game is that there was still time on the clock. If our OL doesn't let Danny get sacked, there's a good chance we win in the final seconds.
Game is on YouTube.

The play before would have been ruled a horse collar and 15 yards would been tacked in if that game were played with todays rules.

It was cool to see the blue pants and heat Vin Scully calling the game. Was also interesting to see fans smoking in the stands.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We win that 82 championship and that SB and Danny White would be thought of a lot differently by Cowboy fans too. I really do think that was Landry's last great Cowboy team.
Most Cowboys fans forget that Danny White won 5 playoff games as a starter and had several heroic plays like the late game winning last min TD to Drew Pearson to beat Atl In divisional round in 1980.

If Cowboys had won the 81 NFC Championship against niners, White would be in ROH.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The 06 wildcard game vs Seattle. That is the one game that haunted Romos reputation his whole career. He deserved better and Parcells May have stayed at least one more year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most Cowboys fans forget that Danny White won 5 playoff games as a starter and had several heroic plays like the late game winning last min TD to Drew Pearson to beat Atl In divisional round in 1980.

If Cowboys had won the 81 NFC Championship against niners, White would be in ROH.
It depends . Since he didn’t retire until 1988 he would gave been dependent on Jerry inducting him who has opted not to induct as many great players from that eras team as we would have liked.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Your pick and why?

That 3rd year when the niners beat us. Deon pass interference on Irving for that TD. Would have been a great comeback and we would have won 4 SB's in a row.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
That play was over hyped. Yes it hurt but wasn’t the difference in the game.

He was sure handed every time you threw him the ball and it hit him in the chest and dropped it in the end zone. But I agree that wasn't the difference in the game. The 70's Steelers were the ones that ushered steroids into sports. Otherwise, the Cowboys have at least 1 more trophy. Maybe even 2.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Easy. The NFC Championship game after the 94 season. The team would have three-peated and possibly four-peated as even though they won it the next year they did that after falling short the year before. There's no telling how they'd respond to a three-peat.

Cebrin

Reaction score
2014 by a mile for me. I lost my voice for months after that game, because I was sick, and screaming at the TV. Tony should have got his that year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Your pick and why?

There's no competition, and you didn't even pick it.

94 season - loss to SF in NFC Championship. Prevented a 4peat and unquestioned GOAT.