If you could pick one Former Cowboys Coach to take the reigns right now. Who do you choose?

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Here are the choices:

1. Tom Landry - R.I.P. to the legend. But would he have been able to succeed with this team in this era?
2. Jimmy Johnson - Could he mirror his previous success in this era of Free Agency/Salary Cap, motivate and get a SB?
3. Barry Switzer - Did he just ride the coat tails of Jimmy Johnson's team?
4. Chan Gailey - He had a lackluster team at the time. Could he turn this one around?
5. Dave Campo - See above and subtract even more. But could he lead this team to the SB?
6. Bill Parcells - Could he motivate these players instantly to a SB?
7. Wade Phillips - Was his last season here really bad luck during all of those losses?
8. Jason Garrett - Is he on the right track to a SB?

- Or: Other (Offensive or Defensive Coordinators for example)

I have to go with Jimmy Johnson. He proved it with the Cowboys and turned a Dolphins team around and into the playoffs.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Jimmy would be the only one with a chance. But in reality I would pick gailey/campo one of them would suck bad enough that the fans of today would give up and Jerry would finally out drink his liver and maybe Stephen would realize he should just sell the team at its most valuable. Then pray an owner who wants to win is able to buy the team.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
2cb11352241048f39f025f6ba5f2906f

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
That was a pretty progressive jacket style for that time era.

I'll never forget those jackets. One of the best designs for a Cowboys Jacket that I remember. We need to release those again!

And the caps of 2007 or 2008 too. Great design/aesthetics.

Call up Charlotte, the Jones brothers or whoever is in charge of that portion of the marketing team to get those back on the market!

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Jimmy would be the only one with a chance. But in reality I would pick gailey/campo one of them would suck bad enough that the fans of today would give up and Jerry would finally out drink his liver and maybe Stephen would realize he should just sell the team at its most valuable. Then pray an owner who wants to win is able to buy the team.

Gave ya a like for the coach you picked.

But, am I the only one on this board that likes the Jones'? Jerry did help assemble that 90's team.

Jerry does a a lot for these fans. He gives loyalty and deserves loyalty imo.

Boy do I wish we could get Jimmy and Jerry to run this Dallas Cowboys show again!

Now, back to the main thread.....

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'll never forget those jackets. One of the best designs for a Cowboys Jacket that I remember. We need to release those again!

And the caps of 2007 or 2008 too. Great design/aesthetics.

Call up Charlotte, the Jones brothers or whoever is in charge of that portion of the marketing team to get those back on the market!
Im on it, got Char on hold, waiting for Stephen to get out of a meeting right now.
Jerry is unavailable, getting a white blood cell liver infusion.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Jimmy would be my choice but being realistic. This team could of had Kyle Shanahan a few years ago. I kept saying how Dallas should bring him in but nope they chose to stick with Garrett. The thing about Shanahan is he knows how to use his RBs and calls a good game. He would of been a perfect fit in Dallas.

Proximo

Reaction score
Jimmy would be my choice but being realistic. This team could of had Kyle Shanahan a few years ago. I kept saying how Dallas should bring him in but nope they chose to stick with Garrett. The thing about Shanahan is he knows how to use his RBs and calls a good game. He would of been a perfect fit in Dallas.

*could’ve
*would’ve

Yea, that’s right, grammar patrol!

Seriously though, Shanahan looks like he might turn out to be pretty good, BUT, it’s tough to know if his personality would fit well in Dallas. Obviously we have a “different” set up than most teams, with the involvement of the Jones, etc.

starfan1

Reaction score
I think as long as we could use prime parts of their career I may take bill parcels or jimmy

what parcels did with giants was great by the time he got here he was still a good coach but really wasn’t near as good as he was with giants .

jimmy was great and benefitted from a raping of the Minnesota Vikings trade

Hadenough

Reaction score
The thing about all these coaches that we mention is they all have a leadership quality and are not the type to bow down and be subservient to Jerry. Jerry doesnt like that and wants to be the leader.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are the choices:

1. Tom Landry - R.I.P. to the legend. But would he have been able to succeed with this team in this era?
2. Jimmy Johnson - Could he mirror his previous success in this era of Free Agency/Salary Cap, motivate and get a SB?
3. Barry Switzer - Did he just ride the coat tails of Jimmy Johnson's team?
4. Chan Gailey - He had a lackluster team at the time. Could he turn this one around?
5. Dave Campo - See above and subtract even more. But could he lead this team to the SB?
6. Bill Parcells - Could he motivate these players instantly to a SB?
7. Wade Phillips - Was his last season here really bad luck during all of those losses?
8. Jason Garrett - Is he on the right track to a SB?

- Or: Other (Offensive or Defensive Coordinators for example)

I have to go with Jimmy Johnson. He proved it with the Cowboys and turned a Dolphins team around and into the playoffs.
I hope Garrett is on the former coach list very soon.