If you didn’t live through 90’s dynasty

wecasa

Reaction score
I caught the tail end of Roger the dodgers career. Survived what was Danny whites career. Then the darkness that was the hogeboom/pelluer days. Jimmy and Jerry came along and back to greatness with the aikman/Irvin/Smith days. Now here we are. Feels like those hogeboom/pelluer days again. Except there's no wildcatter with money to spend to rescue this team. At least one with a tablespoon worth of knowledge to turn football operations over to competent football people and pay them well to right the ship.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What's sad? The Cowboys franchise has become the old Browns & vice versa.

we may be hitting some lows BUT VICE VERSA!!!!!!!:lmao2:

what the flip have the browns done? even now with a decade of first round pics like multiples a few years i belie the y had THREE first rounders a year or two and did nothing with it..

what are they 7-4 right now and you are giving them props for turns around? its not run around they are the Jags right now having one good anomaly of year and doubt its going on run of nay sorts.. so again where the vice versa the browns and jets are historically bad and we are not..let me know when we have ever come close to what was there record 3-45 over 3 YEAR SPAN..not being over 500 for what 10years or more?

please drop the dramatics yes this is disappointing but we have stayed at least competitive and relevant while the Browns have simply been historically bad..they even had team leave and start over and then where bad again as the browns..this year being 2-3 games over 500 is the best you got as a turn around. Thats hilarious....

way to puff that chest out and have egg all over your face trying to compare us to the browns, let me know when they get to an afccg and sb multiple years before you call it a turn around..get some Midol and it will be ok..:rolleyes:o_O

BTW took KC 50years to get back to one..FIFTY..now they are the new darlings of the NFL we are at 30 and somehow our own fans calling us the browns. Sad :oldcouple::angry:

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Let's face reality. The salary cap killed the Cowboys. Those who managed it for the past 25 years have proven to be incompetent, as the team's success has never reached its previous glories. Jerry overpays for players he likes, leaving little money left for young guys who become free agents and who run to other teams. TCRAW was paid way too much for an OK defensive lineman. This year, he has been terrible.

Stop drafting injured players or drug-trouble in the 2nd round, i.e. Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Jaylon Smith; Randy Gregory. We need production in the first year if possible. Look at Larry Allen, Solomon Page, Ken Norton, Dixon Edwards, Darren Smith, Flozell Adams, Darren Woodson, T. Diggs. They all contributed in their first year. Offensive linemen in the 2nd round seem safe picks for longevity as well.

A good draft will not remake this team. This needs to get some low round draft pick or free agents who have taken a few years to develop on other teams and are now young free agents without damage from injuries and surgeries and can perform better than average at their positiosns. We will not get so lucky and get a Jat Novaczek, but a James Washington-type would help. Help is needed at CB, safety, LB in this category for lower cost free agents.

For DT, we need the draft. For OT, we need the draft. For a premier CB and S we need top two rounds.

Cowboys have drafted not too many corners in first round, 76- Aaron Kyle, average; Rod Hill in 82, terrible; Kevin Smith in 1992, very good cover corner until he got injured and kept getting injured; was slightly built; Terrance Newman, probably the best we ever drafted; Mike Jenkins, a joke, could not play; Clayborne, I questioned this pick, as he has slightly built, which leads to many injuries; for the Cowboys he was a major bust.

Cowboys have picked up others, such as Isaac Holt, who was good until he lost speed; Anthony Henry who had short time in D, was not so good; Brandon Carr, a decent CB, overpaid for INT's he made elsewhere; best pick-up was for Deion, who helped team win in 95, but crippled the team's salary cap;

I believe in T Diggs. We need another on his level, top school, well-coached, football smart. Diggs works out with his brother receiver in off-season.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I caught the tail end of the 90s and was a fan, my entire family supports the Cowboys... well they did anyways. They don’t give a damn anymore, bandwagon jumpers! I was cursed to be loyal.

lucky me.

Flamma

Reaction score
Championships are one thing, but my problem is we havent come CLOSE.

When they weren't busy choking away one seeds, they were embarrassed in several divisional round games.

The closest they have come to a title game APPEARANCE was the Dez game in GB, and I'm not one of those that thinks we win with that call.

Yep. That along with the 2007 game. I'd be nitpicking if I tried to say one was closer than the other.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
agree....which is why i think some fans are satisfied with just winning the division...as weak as it is ....and losing in the first round. I feel if you were a fan of the 90's teams, you have higher expectations. Not only did you expect to win the division, you expected to be in the NFCC game. And you know what a championship team looks like. I fear what we see now, is the new normal.

Heck :) there was a time you expected to win the superbowl. The 49ers beating us in the NFC Championship really hurt. I was down the whole year following that.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
You can build the most explosive offense all you want but when your defense has been swiss cheese for argurably 20+ years bar a couple of years you aren't winning shhit.

The problem isn't bad offense or bad defense, but rather, that, since the mid-1990s, we have almost never had a good offense and good defense at the same time.

In 2003 for instance, the Cowboys had the No. 1 ranked defense in the entire league, but couldn't win a playoff game, because of putrid offense.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Yep. That along with the 2007 game. I'd be nitpicking if I tried to say one was closer than the other.

The 2007 loss to the Giants was far worse than the Dez-in-Green-Bay game. In that game, Crayton would have won it for Dallas if he hadn't quit on his route with just a few seconds remaining in the game. He had his Giants defender totally beat but quit, thinking Romo wasn't throwing to him.

Furthermore, had Dallas won in 2007, it would have hosted the NFC title game at home the following week, whereas in 2014, it would have had to travel on the road to Seattle for the NFC title game.

2007 was most definitely the most-blown Cowboys opportunity to go to the Super Bowl in the past two decades.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Most sports fan are lucky to se one championship in this life time. It is what it is. I don’t regret becoming a cowboys fan. Also the Nats experience in 2019 put some of the sting awayz. Now that was an awesome experiences I still rewatch those postseason games on MASN when they come on and YouTube highlights. Beating the Stros’ while they were cheating and coming back from 3-2 is awesome. the wild card against Milwaukee . That postseason run was one for the ages.

The San Antonio Spurs assuage my pain a bit. They've won four titles in the time that I've been following them as a fan, and and had a 22-consecutive-playoff-appearance streak. Although I would happily trade away any two or three Spurs titles for one Cowboys Super Bowl championship.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well yes, but I incorporated that into the choking of one seeds. I was in the building for that one and it hurt then, but even worse now.

That was the year Wade said we had already won a playoff game because we had a first round bye.

Perfect message. My goodness.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The 2007 loss to the Giants was far worse than the Dez-in-Green-Bay game. In that game, Crayton would have won it for Dallas if he hadn't quit on his route with just a few seconds remaining in the game. He had his Giants defender totally beat but quit, thinking Romo wasn't throwing to him.

Furthermore, had Dallas won in 2007, it would have hosted the NFC title game at home the following week, whereas in 2014, it would have had to travel on the road to Seattle for the NFC title game.

2007 was most definitely the most-blown Cowboys opportunity to go to the Super Bowl in the past two decades.
In all realistic likelihood, the undefeated Patriots beat Dallas (if they got there, and IMO would have) in that SB.

But, at least that's a title game and SB appearance, which...the lack thereof is my point here, as opposed to championships.

Most of the time this team continues to try to run when they cant even crawl.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do feel bad for all the youngins who never got to experience those 90's Cowboys teams. And while it's been forever since we've even sniffed at the NFC championship game, at least I can say I've experienced the Cowboys winning championships!! Some of the younger crowd can only experience this by watching the old games on VHS/DVD, or other media of choice.
Yup, we saw some glory days for quite a while. I watched Meredith come oh-so-close, the Staubach era, Danny White's injury, and finally the Jimmy Johnson days. Expectations were always high and we were frequently rewarded.
It was many glory years followed by years of hope, hype, and hell for the fans.
But, let's be clear - free agency was a big change in managing rosters. We just haven't been able to maintain the needed combination of Off and Def players. There always seems to be a thorn in the lions paw - injuries, bad breaks in games, suspensions, cap hell, etc.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I feel sorry for you. It was a GREAT, Dominating time. Almost had 4 SB in a row.

I am content with having that as a great sports time in my life.

Cowboys won 3 SBs
Yankees won 4 WS in 5 years.

Cowboys are at 25 years with nothing.
Embarrassing playoff appearances.

It’s going to be like this ( clown show operations) for a long time.

JETS just passed 50 years... we prob give that a run.

At end of day. I’m ok with nostalgia of 90s. Not many can have a legit run like that.
I remember those days. I remember the landry days. when adults with half a brain ran the team, had a plan and championships were the goal not jersey sales.....

Jerry is the new al davis. we will mire in this sucking to mediocrity for as long as he is alive.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I remember those days. I remember the landry days. when adults with half a brain ran the team, had a plan and championships were the goal not jersey sales.....

Jerry is the new al davis. we will mire in this sucking to mediocrity for as long as he is alive.
Al was at least an NFL coach with scouting on his resume. He took a team to the Super Bowl this century.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
We are officially entering our own "Al-Davis-Final-Years" era

Be prepared for more weird and wacky times people

:cool:

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
I wonder why some became fans of this team over the last 20 years, they're exactly like Browns and Lions fans and they deserve admiration.

I have the 70's and 90's and a hell of a lot of players to stoke my fanhood and keep me attached but what do they have? Pathetic playoff appearances and a clown show off the field.
My son is one of the post 90’s fans and I suspect most others share the same story. I became a fan in the early 80’s (my first football memory ever is “the catch”). I came to the Cowboys during losing seasons because of my dad and my son came to be a fan because of me. I have apologized to my son several times each season but he doesn’t know what it’s like to root for a Cowboys team with any substantial success. I can only hope that somehow in my lifetime I can watch a Super Bowl win with my son so I can see him experience the excitement that comes with it,

Cmac

Reaction score
I wonder why some became fans of this team over the last 20 years, they're exactly like Browns and Lions fans and they deserve admiration.

I have the 70's and 90's and a hell of a lot of players to stoke my fanhood and keep me attached but what do they have? Pathetic playoff appearances and a clown show off the field.
…..I will tone down my posts, now that I've read this. Thanks CouchCoach, I will be more understanding of that fanbase plight.