If you didn’t live through 90’s dynasty

mldardy

Reaction score
The closest they have come to a title game APPEARANCE was the Dez game in GB, and I'm not one of those that thinks we win with that call.
Maybe, maybe not. I do feel that was the best Cowboy team since 95.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wonder why some became fans of this team over the last 20 years, they're exactly like Browns and Lions fans and they deserve admiration.

I have the 70's and 90's and a hell of a lot of players to stoke my fanhood and keep me attached but what do they have? Pathetic playoff appearances and a clown show off the field.
I imagine fans this era are being attracted by certain players . Probably more from a result of Fantasy Football. And or our overall popularity .

It would certainly explain many of the younger fans who have stood by Romo and now Dak without more team success. I heard with Romo fantasy numbers fans we’re having more success with him than the Cowboys did. And the same probably true with Dak and the #1 offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For the most part I’m not really even interested in discussing Cowboys Football if you aren’t old enough to remember the 70’s and the Landry era much less the 90’s and Jimmy which is a bare minimum.

Without that comparison of eras it’s really difficult to feel our passion. I’m not sure you can relate.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
, but almost nobody remembers we were a finger tackle away from winning that game. Cowboys got the ball back after Clarks great grab, and White hit Hill (I think) on the slant he almost broke it. We were very close to field goal range, but White was hit by Dwayne Board and he fumbled...game over. Even though it was a loss, at least we were competitive.

It was Drew Pearson with a 25-30 yard pass catch who was horse collared down at about the 50 yard line by the last defender, enough time to win the game. He was so close to breakng the game and making for the greatest final 2 minutes in NFL history. But on the next play, Center Tom Rafferty was overrun, and the defensive kneman sacked Danny White and Danny fumbled. the ball.

I couldn't remember if it was Hill or Pearson. I just watched it on youtube and indeed it was Pearson...all the way down to the 49er 43 yard line.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
There is now an entire generation of Cowboys fans that has more in common with Lions or Browns fans than with their own Dallas predecessors. Give them credit; they're the most mentally tough of any Cowboys-fan generation.

What has puzzled me before is some elder Cowboys fans who would criticize the younger fans for not having seen Dallas win a Super Bowl. What were the younger fans supposed to do; get conceived and birthed earlier?

RD21

Reaction score
For the most part I’m not really even interested in discussing Cowboys Football if you aren’t old enough to remember the 70’s and the Landry era much less the 90’s and Jimmy which is a bare minimum.

Without that comparison of eras it’s really difficult to feel our passion. I’m not sure you can relate.
Agreed. I also find it difficult to discuss football with casual fans. In my trade, that's like discussing a project with an uniformed client vs. another tradesman. The informed discussion, is much more stimulating, & credible.

visionary

Reaction score
I feel sorry for you. It was a GREAT, Dominating time. Almost had 4 SB in a row.

I am content with having that as a great sports time in my life.

Cowboys won 3 SBs
Yankees won 4 WS in 5 years.

Cowboys are at 25 years with nothing.
Embarrassing playoff appearances.

It’s going to be like this ( clown show operations) for a long time.

JETS just passed 50 years... we prob give that a run.

At end of day. I’m ok with nostalgia of 90s. Not many can have a legit run like that.

Ain’t this the truth

tm1119

Reaction score
I was alive but too young to have any memories of the dynasty run. And I live in Southern NJ amongst die heart Eagles lunatics (older bother was indeed a front runner, I just followed suit not knowing any better)....so yeah it’s been REAL tough past 15-20 years or so. Would never actually do it but thoughts of jumping ship have been definitely been talked about. Instead I just sit and watch in agony. Good times, good times

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I feel sorry for you. It was a GREAT, Dominating time. Almost had 4 SB in a row.

Cowboys won 3 SBs

At end of day. I’m ok with nostalgia of 90s. Not many can have a legit run like that.
I lived through it and the 70s run of excellence as well

Motorola

Reaction score
I wonder why some became fans of this team over the last 20 years, they're exactly like Browns and Lions fans and they deserve admiration.

I have the 70's and 90's and a hell of a lot of players to stoke my fanhood and keep me attached but what do they have? Pathetic playoff appearances and a clown show off the field.
I think much of the Cowboys Fandom that
The 90s were great. Between 1991-96, we were the best team in football. 4 straight NFC championship games, winning 3 and 3 SBs and 12 total playoff games.

But the run this team had from 1966-82 was even more dominant. In those 17 seasons, the Cowboys played in 12 conference championships, 5 SBs, winning 2 SBs, and a won whopping 20 playoff games.
Was around for it all. Even the first third of the eight-season gap between the great runs wasn't bad:
1983....12-4, 2nd NFC East; Wildcard home loss to Rams 17 - 24
1984.... 9-7, 4th NFC East
1985.....10-6, 1st NFC East; Divisional round road loss to Rams 0-20
But then came 1986-88 - the declining last three seasons of Coach Landry's great areer, followed by Coach Johnson's debacle of a debut...1-15 for 1989.
I actually consider the 1990 as the prelude to rise back to greatness for the Cowboys. They were 7-7 going into the final two weeks of that season before losing the last two games on the road to finish 7-9.
BTW, look at what the NFC East did 30 years ago-
Giants 12-4, 2nd seed in playoffs
Eagles 10-6, 4th seed
Commanders 10-6, 5th seed
Cowboys 7-9, Phoenix Cardinals 5-11

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I like the 70's. I think I got spoiled in that era because it seemed like the Boys were in the playoffs like 20 out of 21 years....something like that. The giants, Commanders, Cards on Thanksgiving, (man, those were some good games when Hart played for the cardinals), and of course the eagles. Landry was like Lombardi and Bear Bryant. Just a great coach by all accounts. There will never be another Landry. A man among coaches and a man of God. It's something our current owner will never understand or be.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I imagine fans this era are being attracted by certain players . Probably more from a result of Fantasy Football. And or our overall popularity .

It would certainly explain many of the younger fans who have stood by Romo and now Dak without more team success. I heard with Romo fantasy numbers fans we’re having more success with him than the Cowboys did.

As one of the "younger fans" myself, let me explain - at least, from my experience:

No, it's not that we love fantasy football; I couldn't care less for that silly stuff. It's that in our lifetimes, Romo and Dak are the only two good Cowboys quarterbacks we've ever seen with our own eyes. I never saw Aikman play. I grew up in the Carter-Stoerner-Leaf-Hutchinson-Wright-Henson era. When Drew Bledsoe came along, he was the best Dallas QB I'd ever seen up to that point - that should tell you something.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score

That sideline shot of Staubach talking to Landry, you knew everything was going to be okay. They instilled confidence

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cowboys won 3 SBs

Classic settling. Content? Ridiculous. So your happy to watch your team do nothing every year because 25 years ago they had a great team?

Another casual fan.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Cowboys won 3 SBs

I lived through ALL 5 Cowboys Super Bowls and I’m not satisfied. I want more.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Classic settling. Content? Ridiculous. So your happy to watch your team do nothing every year because 25 years ago they had a great team?

Another casual fan.

Look, our content or discontent has nothing to do with whether the Cowboys win. We don't play ball; they do.

I'm not "content" any more than you are, but I don't blame fans who are content. They are simply making peace with a situation that they have no control over.

Does your agitation and restlessness make Zeke gain any additional yardage, or the secondary pick off any more balls?

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Witnessed all the great teams we had since the 60's, 5 super bowls. I can never be content unless Dallas is competing virtually every year for the big game. Sadly, for 25 frickin' years we have sucked royally. My discontent boils over year after year.

ICP

Reaction score
I can still remember the 78 Super Bowl. Dallas used to be a team that fans hated because they were just about always in contention and feared as a franchise. Now they are basically a joke because Jerry has run them into the dirt because of his ego.