CFZ If You Don't Think Deuce Vaughn Can Play WR, Look at His Highlights

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him. My hunch is that Deuce is actually pretty strong in the passing game, but it was more or less kept under wraps on college, so that he may have a way to pave a brighter path for his NFL career.

There's also the fact that he can only play one position at a time, and was their lead back at Kansas, so he didn't get as much time, playing from the receiver position. But I have no doubt in my mind he can cause havoc in the short and intermediate passing games, because guys who are short, and can get, are hard to cover, even for taller, faster guys with the most fluid hips.. The fact he's practiced so many juke moves, like you can see several players in his background, so Deuce has studied Sanders, Emmitt, McCaffrey. The biggest issue for him will be whether or not he can stay healthy.

He's a pain to cover in the open field, especially in one-on-one situations.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Vaughn threads keep coming at a rapid rate! It's hard to keep pace with the expectations and projections. To sum up what has been thrown out there so far, Vaughn is now a slow, blocking turnstile, super small (wait. that's bryce young. scratch that) soon-to-be-torn-apart slot receiver?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think slot is definitely something he can do. It's also a way to keep him on the field on 3rd downs. His lack of size will likely keep him out of the backfield because of blocking.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think slot is definitely something he can do. It's also a way to keep him on the field on 3rd downs. His lack of size will likely keep him out of the backfield because of blocking.
I think his pass protection will be a little better than people think but it’s not something you’ll ask him to do a lot of.

For 5’5 180 he has a ton of power.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Vaughn threads keep coming at a rapid rate! It's hard to keep pace with the expectations and projections. To sum up what has been thrown out there so far, Vaughn is now a slow, blocking turnstile, super small (wait. that's bryce young. scratch that) soon-to-be-torn-apart slot receiver?
He can definitely play some slot wideout.

Vaughn is easily the most interesting guy to watch early on maybe in the entire league.

He’s a great RB he’s just small. Like that’s literally the entire knock against him.

You would think he’d be a guy you want to get out on the edge but he’s actually more suited to run between the tackles and do what Zeke did.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can't wait to see him in our offense. I think that's the thing that has people excited. I would hate to be on a defense that has to cover Pollard, Vaughn, Lamb, and Brandin Cooks!

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Vaughn is easily the most interesting guy to watch early on maybe in the entire league.

He’s a great RB he’s just small. Like that’s literally the entire knock against him.

You would think he’d be a guy you want to get out on the edge but he’s actually more suited to run between the tackles and do what Zeke did.
Right, that knock against him kind of makes him even more special than Darren Sproles. That extra inch will work to his advantage in some cases. I simply cannot wait until the San Fran game, if this all pans out the way the scouts and staff are trying to set it up. I think this was good work. I actually wanted a smaller, shiftier guy to add to this offense. Duece was in the back of my mind; I just didn't think the Cowboys would do it. I liked Achane, too, but he's got really narrow shoulders or something. But, he, too, will likely be good in the NFL with all that speed.

I just think some are underestimating what he provides, and what this means for our team on offense if they can utilize some of these weapons, like Schoonmaker, Luepke, Vaughn, along with the guys we already have....The offense is shaping up to be sneaky good, as far as being unique and dynamic. Looking forward to seeing the Cowboys roll some WCO plays.

manster4ever

Reaction score
He'll be killer in the slot if he can stay healthy. I mean I won't lie guys, first time I saw this kid on the field at KSU he was stunningly small. But in the NFL? He might be one of the smallest guys I've ever seen on a pro field and I started watching pro ball in 1977. I grew up with Walter Payton, Chuck Muncie, Billy Sims, etc....this kid CAN play and he'll make plays but I'm concerned for his health. If he lines up in the slot there's no LB that will even attempt to cover him so they'll get a CB on him and most CB's can't match his quickness and elusiveness either but again....worry about him getting a solid lick and living to tell the tale.

manster4ever

Reaction score

Dude....really? I did see him run between the tackles at KSU but that's a different animal don't ya think? Hey, I'm rooting for him but again, unless he's the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders and is that elusive, he's gonna get banged around. Maybe 3-5 touches per game but no more than that. If those touches result in a big play or two....mission accomplished if you think about it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dude....really? I did see him run between the tackles at KSU but that's a different animal don't ya think? Hey, I'm rooting for him but again, unless he's the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders and is that elusive, he's gonna get banged around. Maybe 3-5 touches per game but no more than that. If those touches result in a big play or two....mission accomplished if you think about it.
Nope..

Im believe his game is being great between the tackles and that translates to the NFL.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but it’s what he’s elite at.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him. My hunch is that Deuce is actually pretty strong in the passing game, but it was more or less kept under wraps on college, so that he may have a way to pave a brighter path for his NFL career.

There's also the fact that he can only play one position at a time, and was their lead back at Kansas, so he didn't get as much time, playing from the receiver position. But I have no doubt in my mind he can cause havoc in the short and intermediate passing games, because guys who are short, and can get, are hard to cover, even for taller, faster guys with the most fluid hips.. The fact he's practiced so many juke moves, like you can see several players in his background, so Deuce has studied Sanders, Emmitt, McCaffrey. The biggest issue for him will be whether or not he can stay healthy.

raw

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

He is not easy to bring down, atleast one on one . Defenders many times gang up to bring him down

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

LOL, not bad for a "gadget" player. You guys crack me up.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He'll be killer in the slot if he can stay healthy. I mean I won't lie guys, first time I saw this kid on the field at KSU he was stunningly small. But in the NFL? He might be one of the smallest guys I've ever seen on a pro field and I started watching pro ball in 1977. I grew up with Walter Payton, Chuck Muncie, Billy Sims, etc....this kid CAN play and he'll make plays but I'm concerned for his health. If he lines up in the slot there's no LB that will even attempt to cover him so they'll get a CB on him and most CB's can't match his quickness and elusiveness either but again....worry about him getting a solid lick and living to tell the tale.
If he's already in as a rb that moves to the slot, I'm not sure how a team can put a cb on him. They won't have the right personnel on he field.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Throw things at the TV during a game, ever? Been tempted to...

Opposing line backers will mostly be back on their heels...or just wrong.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It’s a crucial 3rd and 5 in the playoffs deuce,makes the catch gets 7 from the slot, first down. If we are smart enough to use him like we did Beasley,deuce will be a backbreaker for the cowboys!
That's why a lot of fans on here are excited. They are hardcore and know what kind of player this is. I think his ceiling is higher than some think, but that's just me. I think we also made out having the inside line to the player. But, again, that's just me.

I may not have pulled the trigger on Deuce. I knew he was a good player, then again, I blew him off because of his size. But I do think he makes sense, and no doubt in my mind he can be effective in the NFL. We have a nice group of backs now, and one who can also play WR, and take handoffs from the H-back position, etc. It's going to be a hoot. I have to say Deuce is a better pick in hindsight, because you can do so much with him.