If you had to make tough call and only keep 3 of 4, who walk, Coop, Dak, Zeke, DLaw?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I know it is a popular opinion to think a RB is easy to find and it is one to which I generally subscribe but don't forget Zeke was drafted in the first place to fill the hole Murray left when he went to the Eagles. There is going to be a drop off from Zeke no matter who replaces him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know it is a popular opinion to think a RB is easy to find and it is one to which I generally subscribe but don't forget Zeke was drafted in the first place to fill the hole Murray left when he went to the Eagles. There is going to be a drop off from Zeke no matter who replaces him.

That's what makes it such a tough question. As a run-first team, our entire offense and team to some extent go through Zeke.

Mr_437

Reaction score
DLaw - DAL is going to pay him a large sum of $ this year, and they could use that cap space to find a lower tier replacement, plus get compensation via trade or not signing him.

Not for this, but makes the most sense to me.

InTheZone

Reaction score

The runner may be easier to replace but I like Zeke (was not as big of a fan either when he was drafted, but that quickly changed).

Are we allowed to trade any of these players if they're under contact? Because If I had to get rid of one it would be Dak and I wouldn't wait until next year when he's not under contract.

As for Dline, we need to break this habit of underperforming lines that kill us when it matters most. We drafted Tank to be that guy, you don't give up on him when he surpassed what you envisioned.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No question it would be Zeke. I love him and don’t want to lose him but RBs are easier to get as free agents and in the draft. We could likely draft a RB this year in the 4th or 5th round and if you took one that was also a good pass receiver out of the backfield, he would likely give you 80-85% of Zeke’s production if you gave him the same amount of touches. That just looks like the least painful loss to me.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is like Broaddus wants to start trouble via his Twitter followers.

In football (and especially at the professional level), team rosters are usually built with the relative importance of specific positions--Quarterback, Left Offensive Tackle and passer rusher (usually Defensive End)--occupying the top three. Those three are sometimes interchangeable, with Left Tackle sometimes being the foundation over Quarterback, etc.

Through the years, Dallas has employed an offensive scheme with an outstanding rusher as its center piece. Emmitt Smith is the perfect example of the 90's teams. Slightly less so was Tony Dorsett by comparison but there is no mistaking how valuable Dorsett was from his very first year as a Cowboy--as in Super Bowl caliber Running Back. Ezekiel Elliott fits the mold of Emmitt Smith in Garrett's scheme and demonstrated his outstanding worth during his rookie season.

The answer to Broaddus question in my opinion? I would say there are two answers.

Commonly league wide, the answer would be Running Back. However, the importance of a superb rusher in Dallas' offensive scheme elevates that position as a top three mandate. Left Tackle is never out of the top three for any reason. The remaining two positions are Quarterback and Defensive End.

Traditionally, consistent efensive pressure can be generated from Defensive Tackle or Outside Linebacker if either or both positions or can be filled with great candidates. There is flexibility there but none concerning Quarterback. Whether Quarterback is drafted or traded for, he is the orchestrator of the team's offense. No exception. Demarcus Lawrence would be the logical sacrifice given all considerations.

John813

Reaction score
Zeke. A lot easier trying to find good enough RB compared to the rest.

Especially when all 4 are under 26.

One thing if the WR or DE was 30.

Falco78

Reaction score
Coop, Dak and Dlaw. Zeke with a semi decent RB could be replaced

Prime21

Reaction score
It is Zeke.

But by not keep I mean you give him his 5th year option which means we have him for 2 more seasons. Then you franchise him once or twice. We have Zeke 3-4 more years when "not keeping" him.