If you had to make tough call and only keep 3 of 4, who walk, Coop, Dak, Zeke, DLaw?

jsb357

Reaction score
get rid of Cooper chances are he's gonna walk anyway

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect to see all 4 under contract with the Cowboys. Some FA you let walk but core key players you keep

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This question is to try and make a case that running back is not important.

Especially with the success of the Rams.

This thread, like this opinion would be wrong. Zeke is not just any running back. And you can win with a great running back, as proved by this team. You still need a balanced passing attack to keep the defense honest. And that includes a QB that can make the throws. Which is one of the issues because Dak can make them if the line keeps a clean pocket.

But the focal point of this franchise is Zeke.

My answer. Screw the question and keep them all.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I'd let D-Law go, only because he wasn't much to be seen the last half of the season, and I'm not sold we will see him return to form once he gets paid. Maybe that's just because I've seen us throw money at defensive players who decide to not show up after cashing the check.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Honestly the answer is different depending on replacement options.

• Dak Prescott
    • Teddy Bridgewater (Free Agency)
    • Joe Flacco (Trade)
    • Nick Foles (Trade OR Free Agency - unknown)
    • Teddy is an unknown because he's lost so many years and a wobbly knee. The other two will require draft capital we may just not have right now, so you're pushing future picks into the mix.
  • Amari Cooper
    • There are several second tier value receivers available, but no one in the draft with our capital and he changed the offense. Of the four options, this is the LEAST likely I would give up because replacing him would be expensive.
  • Zeke
    • Jay Ajayi (Free Agency)
    • CJ Anderson (Free Agency)
    • LeVeon Bell (Free Agency)
    • Tevin Coleman (Free Agency)
    • Beastmode (Free Agency
    • Kareem Hunt (Free Agency)
    • Several others
    • The Cowboys like Ajayi in the draft but he went to Miami, though he's coming off an ACL injury. CJ Anderson has shown he can wreck it but I think he's more of a pure zone RB, while the Cowboys run a bit more man/power these days. Still, there is talent to be had and while I think Zeke is special (his OL was NOT what it used to be and he still produced), you can find ways to win. Heck it may force the Cowboys to be more balanced.
  • Lawrence
    • Frank Clark (Free Agency*)
    • Jadeveon Clowney (Free Agency*)
    • Trey Flowers (Free Agency*)
    • Dee Ford (Free Agency*)
    • Ezekial Ansah (Free Agency)
    • Second Tier Players (Free Agency)
    • Draft
    • The problem here is alll those asterisks are that these players may be retained by their clubs, so the DE market is going to be expensive. I think you COULD replace Lawrence, but I don't know at what savings, if any. Although the draft is deep, I wouldn't expect major help from the second round and the window is open NOW. There is an argument to be made to the 2014 strategy where, even though Mincey wasn't anywhere near Lawrence, the value was way better, I don't know that the opportunity exists this year.

So I think looking at replacement options, although Lawrence was my original hunch, I have to agree with Broaddus that Zeke is the odd man out. I may even say Dak is number two, because I may be able to find a way to get as good or better without it hurting. Lawrence is going to be crazy expensive, but he's easily the best player on defense and replacing him won't ultimately save me anything.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Thats an easy one. Zeke can walk. Easiest to replace.

All 3 other positions are more important than RB. Zeke is probably the best at his position of all 3, but no chance I would want to pay a RB close to 20 million per year. Talk about killing your salary cap?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
One guy on that list has a history of stupidity. If you had to choose one it would be him.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Out of the four I’d want to get rid of Dak but even though he’s a middling quarterback I’ve been around long enough to know that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Anytime I look past Dak I see Chad Hutchinson, Clint Stoerner, Drew Henson, and the rest of the early 2000s QB carousel waving at me. So I don’t think I would do it without there being a suitable replacement.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I know it is a popular opinion to think a RB is easy to find and it is one to which I generally subscribe but don't forget Zeke was drafted in the first place to fill the hole Murray left when he went to the Eagles. There is going to be a drop off from Zeke no matter who replaces him.

Depends on how much of a drop off it is. For instance Zeke being backed up by Rod Smith - sorry, too big of a drop off in talent level. I think you can shorten that talent gap. Also we might consider guys who are good in the open field and can help us out of the backfield.

starcity214

Reaction score
"It is easier to replace the runner"

Is it also easier to replace the leading receiver on your team? A player who opposing defenses make it a point to stop?

You guys are a joke..

We depend so much on Zeke that it isn't even funny..

So you mean to tell me we can find a guy that can run routes, has great hands, has size and speed, is durable and is top 3 at his position in free agency or in the later rounds of the draft? Lol

This team without Zeke is like the Rams in the Superbowl without Gurley if not worse..

RoboQB

Reaction score
"It is easier to replace the runner"

Is it also easier to replace the leading receiver on your team? A player who opposing defenses make it a point to stop?

You guys are a joke..

We depend so much on Zeke that it isn't even funny..

So you mean to tell me we can find a guy that can run routes, has great hands, has size and speed, is durable and is top 3 at his position in free agency or in the later rounds of the draft? Lol

This team without Zeke is like the Rams in the Superbowl without Gurley if not worse..

As I read your post, I'm reminded of the fact that Zeke led the NFL in rushing
despite a backup center and a reserve/rookie combo at left guard all season.
All that while , as you mentioned, being his team's leading receiver.

He is absolutely the centerpiece of the offense.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d have to let Zeke go because I think I can replace him easier than those other guys.
:omg:
Ya who needs Zeke.....like when he was suspended our offense was on fire baby as Dak went 15 str8 Quarters without 1 TD.....ya lets dump the Zeke man....:eek:

P.S. Imagine Dak's PA passes without Zeke? LOL....:laugh:

Go out and give Foles the millions and let Dak ride the bench then we're talking Superbowl baby..!!!!