If you had to make tough call and only keep 3 of 4, who walk, Coop, Dak, Zeke, DLaw?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good reply, but Zeke is 70% of the offense, a 1400yard RB, a 560yard WR and a heck of a Blocker. Cowboys had a little over 5000yards for 2018 and Zeke accounted for over 2000 by himself. How did the offense and the Cowboys do when Zeke was suspended? I pay TANK, COOPER and ZEKE.... then sign Joe Flacco or CJ Bethard. Would consider the Franchise Tag for DAK for a year to see if he has reached his ceiling or able to take the next step
There is an old football proverb that goes, "Even Saban stayed true to Hurts until he pulled him for Tua in the second half of the championship game."

Seriously though, my opinions are often based on how coaches and/or front offices address positional importance, with the latter included in the decision making at the professional level. They generally stick with their quarterback until either: a) his performance dips below their expectations; b) his performance tanks to the point they, fans and media all agree he should be replaced; or c) another quarterback already on the roster exploits a rare opportunity to wow their socks off.

I know Prescott critics' opinion of his established performance to-date is poor. In my opinion he has performed well-enough that only Option C might potentially unseat him within the next five years. Lastly, I believe the continued evaluational impression Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett (and especially Jones) have in Prescott is much higher than my own own.

I think they (especially Jones), just like Saban, will stick with Prescott no matter what UNLESS a 'Tua' falls in their laps. I say that in deference to OP and Broaddus' original question. There is outsider opinion and insider opinion. And insider opinion does not foresee Prescott as The Weakest Link.

VACowboy

Reaction score
A RB may be easiest to replace but I think it would be difficult to replace what Zeke provides the Dallas O. We've saw how that goes already.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
These forums are going to be over-run when Dak signs his 5 year, $150 million contract

LOL......said before, Dak has no idea the kind hate he's going face from some fans after his new deal. What we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These forums are going to be over-run when Dak signs his 5 year, $150 million contract
Not sure what the exact terms of Prescott's contract will be but the anticipated reaction may easily eclipse that which Romo's extension created years ago. There is a severe need for public education concerning the economics underwriting professional athletes' contractual compensation. Has been for a long time.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Not sure what the exact terms of Prescott's contract will be but the anticipated reaction may easily eclipse that which Romo's extension created years ago. There is a severe need for public education concerning the economics underwriting professional athletes' contractual compensation. Has been for a long time.

People take it so personally you'd think the cash was coming out of their own checking accounts.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It's Zeke. Ironic, because he's probably our best "skill position" player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It at least somewhat depends on the forward contracts
How good is each player at his position?
I’d rank them
Zeke
DLaw
Cooper
Prescott

How valuable is the position in general
QB
DE
WR/RB
RB/WR

Each guy at a price way more than their worth would be expendable

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am still not certain why Broaddus introduced a wide receiver into his consideration. Is Elliott supposedly down the food chain to Cooper in a run-oriented offense?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team with the run-oriented offense was 3-4 without Cooper and 8-3 with him.
True. In 2018. The team with the run-oriented offense in 2016 was 13-3 with a lesser wide receiver talent in Dez Bryant along with Elliott.

I do not know. Perhaps there may be more to either season's situational outcome than just a change in wide receiver.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thats an easy one. Zeke can walk. Easiest to replace.

All 3 other positions are more important than RB. Zeke is probably the best at his position of all 3, but no chance I would want to pay a RB close to 20 million per year. Talk about killing your salary cap?
between the 4, Zeke is the only one with HOF potential and has played like one. do you get rid of a HOFer?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Double like. I still said Zeke because I think there are quality RBs who could be had in free agency this season and still produce, but I don't pretend they'd produce like Zeke.

I hadn't watched the Rams all year, but I came away from their game even more impressed with what Zeke accomplished this season, and far less impressed with Gurley knocking on the rushing door, for exactly the reason you just said. Zeke runs into buzzsaws and still makes things happen, on the regular, whereas CJ Anderson was able to drop 150 on the Cowboys in that game. To be the focal point, be the EXACT thing teams try to stop and to STILL put up the numbers he did in 2018 was a masterpiece.
the reason you let a player walk is cost. so what would a comparable player to the one we let go Cost? the only one in FA that's in Zeke league is Bell and he cost about the same.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you know why? not because he got that money. the argument all along even from Dak fanatics has been get him some weapons, fix the OL, get a TE, etc. to get all of those will cost some money. thus if Dak gets a 150 million contract, then say bye to zeke and cooper. then we are back to square one. lets go out and get him some weapons, without the weapons he is a very average QB even according to Dak Lovers.

Them

Reaction score
WWBD?...What would Bill do?...probably get rid of the player with the largest $$$ contact this season...so I would assume D law...he'd probably get a 1rst round and a 3rd for him anyway.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
It is like Broaddus wants to start trouble via his Twitter followers.

In football (and especially at the professional level), team rosters are usually built with the relative importance of specific positions--Quarterback, Left Offensive Tackle and passer rusher (usually Defensive End)--occupying the top three. Those three are sometimes interchangeable, with Left Tackle sometimes being the foundation over Quarterback, etc.

Through the years, Dallas has employed an offensive scheme with an outstanding rusher as its center piece. Emmitt Smith is the perfect example of the 90's teams. Slightly less so was Tony Dorsett by comparison but there is no mistaking how valuable Dorsett was from his very first year as a Cowboy--as in Super Bowl caliber Running Back. Ezekiel Elliott fits the mold of Emmitt Smith in Garrett's scheme and demonstrated his outstanding worth during his rookie season.

The answer to Broaddus question in my opinion? I would say there are two answers.

Commonly league wide, the answer would be Running Back. However, the importance of a superb rusher in Dallas' offensive scheme elevates that position as a top three mandate. Left Tackle is never out of the top three for any reason. The remaining two positions are Quarterback and Defensive End.

Traditionally, consistent efensive pressure can be generated from Defensive Tackle or Outside Linebacker if either or both positions or can be filled with great candidates. There is flexibility there but none concerning Quarterback. Whether Quarterback is drafted or traded for, he is the orchestrator of the team's offense. No exception. Demarcus Lawrence would be the logical sacrifice given all considerations.
Agreed with your conclusion, but your lack of mentioning Cooper is noteworthy.

We saw the team before and after we got him... I do think losing DLaw is an easier pill to swallow thank Dak, Zeke, or Cooper. Plus cap wise, he'll be the second most expensive after Dak, so financially it makes keeping the next wave of Jaylon, Jones, etc; more possible.