If you had to make tough call and only keep 3 of 4, who walk, Coop, Dak, Zeke, DLaw?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Staff Member

40,506 Messages
    21,266 Likes Received
    There is an old football proverb that goes, "Even Saban stayed true to Hurts until he pulled him for Tua in the second half of the championship game."

Seriously though, my opinions are often based on how coaches and/or front offices address positional importance, with the latter included in the decision making at the professional level. They generally stick with their quarterback until either: a) his performance dips below their expectations; b) his performance tanks to the point they, fans and media all agree he should be replaced; or c) another quarterback already on the roster exploits a rare opportunity to wow their socks off.

I know Prescott critics' opinion of his established performance to-date is poor. In my opinion he has performed well-enough that only Option C might potentially unseat him within the next five years. Lastly, I believe the continued evaluational impression Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett (and especially Jones) have in Prescott is much higher than my own own.

I think they (especially Jones), just like Saban, will stick with Prescott no matter what UNLESS a 'Tua' falls in their laps. I say that in deference to OP and Broaddus' original question. There is outsider opinion and insider opinion. And insider opinion does not foresee Prescott as The Weakest Link.

Gangsta Spanksta likes this.
  2. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member

6,251 Messages
    2,753 Likes Received
    A RB may be easiest to replace but I think it would be difficult to replace what Zeke provides the Dallas O. We've saw how that goes already.

CowboysFaninHouston likes this.
  3. bleachedwheat

bleachedwheat Active Member

107 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    I would let Dak walk and I wouldn't even think twice about it. He just isn't a good enough QB for me to stress over it, nor should anyone else for the matter.

4. Batman1980

Batman1980 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    7,813 Likes Received
    These forums are going to be over-run when Dak signs his 5 year, $150 million contract

Doomsday and DallasEast like this.
  5. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,245 Messages
    11,793 Likes Received
    LOL......said before, Dak has no idea the kind hate he's going face from some fans after his new deal. What we've seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

DallasEast likes this.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

45,252 Messages
    32,131 Likes Received
    :dance::oldcouple::dance:

Runwildboys likes this.
  7. DallasEast

40,506 Messages
    21,266 Likes Received
    Not sure what the exact terms of Prescott's contract will be but the anticipated reaction may easily eclipse that which Romo's extension created years ago. There is a severe need for public education concerning the economics underwriting professional athletes' contractual compensation. Has been for a long time.

Batman1980 likes this.
  8. Batman1980

Batman1980 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    7,813 Likes Received
    People take it so personally you'd think the cash was coming out of their own checking accounts.

DallasEast likes this.
  9. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,435 Messages
    20,299 Likes Received
    It's Zeke. Ironic, because he's probably our best "skill position" player.

10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

45,252 Messages
    32,131 Likes Received
    It at least somewhat depends on the forward contracts
    How good is each player at his position?
    I’d rank them
    Zeke
    DLaw
    Cooper
    Prescott

How valuable is the position in general
    QB
    DE
    WR/RB
    RB/WR

Each guy at a price way more than their worth would be expendable

11. DallasEast

40,506 Messages
    21,266 Likes Received
    I am still not certain why Broaddus introduced a wide receiver into his consideration. Is Elliott supposedly down the food chain to Cooper in a run-oriented offense?

12. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,435 Messages
    20,299 Likes Received
    The team with the run-oriented offense was 3-4 without Cooper and 8-3 with him.

Fuzzee and DallasEast like this.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

24,996 Messages
    8,583 Likes Received
    Dak!!!!

dallasdave likes this.
  14. DallasEast

40,506 Messages
    21,266 Likes Received
    True. In 2018. The team with the run-oriented offense in 2016 was 13-3 with a lesser wide receiver talent in Dez Bryant along with Elliott.

I do not know. Perhaps there may be more to either season's situational outcome than just a change in wide receiver.

15. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

9,360 Messages
    3,680 Likes Received
    between the 4, Zeke is the only one with HOF potential and has played like one. do you get rid of a HOFer?

Fuzzee likes this.
  16. CowboysFaninHouston

9,360 Messages
    3,680 Likes Received
    the reason you let a player walk is cost. so what would a comparable player to the one we let go Cost? the only one in FA that's in Zeke league is Bell and he cost about the same.

17. CowboysFaninHouston

9,360 Messages
    3,680 Likes Received
    you know why? not because he got that money. the argument all along even from Dak fanatics has been get him some weapons, fix the OL, get a TE, etc. to get all of those will cost some money. thus if Dak gets a 150 million contract, then say bye to zeke and cooper. then we are back to square one. lets go out and get him some weapons, without the weapons he is a very average QB even according to Dak Lovers.

18. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian @BrianLINY Zone Supporter

15,215 Messages
    4,103 Likes Received
    DLaw

dallasdave and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  19. ThemDangMartians

ThemDangMartians Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    2,233 Likes Received
    WWBD?...What would Bill do?...probably get rid of the player with the largest $$$ contact this season...so I would assume D law...he'd probably get a 1rst round and a 3rd for him anyway.

20. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian @BrianLINY Zone Supporter

15,215 Messages
    4,103 Likes Received
    Agreed with your conclusion, but your lack of mentioning Cooper is noteworthy.

We saw the team before and after we got him... I do think losing DLaw is an easier pill to swallow thank Dak, Zeke, or Cooper. Plus cap wise, he'll be the second most expensive after Dak, so financially it makes keeping the next wave of Jaylon, Jones, etc; more possible.

dallasdave likes this.