If Zeke gets released, I’m not supporting this team

Swanny

Reaction score
No player is more important than the team I support. I would never stop following a team because of a player being signed or cut.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Until Stephens successor takes over for him.
I saw online that some people think zekes getting released. If that happens, I’ll legit stop following this team after 30 years. I lost live for them and mainly dak when dez got scape hosted and released. I missed a few games. If zekes released after carrying this team to two playoff appearances and suffering behind the worst o-line in football this year and NEVER! Missing a game due to injury, I’ll support another team for the rest of stephens life.

Where did you see this, a fan speculating this or a sportswriter speculating this? That is all it is, it's unsubstantiated speculation made by someone with little sense for the salary cap. Every team knows there will be a smaller cap next year and the Cowboys will not intentionally add 24 mil in dead money on that cap shrinking it even smaller. Now there are a lot of people that are very discouraged with Elliott's performance not just this season but for the last few. His production has decreased every year since his rookie year. You also can't blame the OL for his fumbling issues this season He also lost some fans when he sat down in Cabo until he got the biggest contract for a RB and then showed up out of shape and didn't live up to that contract.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I saw online that some people think zekes getting released. If that happens, I’ll legit stop following this team after 30 years. I lost live for them and mainly dak when dez got scape hosted and released. I missed a few games. If zekes released after carrying this team to two playoff appearances and suffering behind the worst o-line in football this year and NEVER! Missing a game due to injury, I’ll support another team for the rest of stephens life.
That "worst o-line in football" excuse gets too much play around these parts. Zeke is obviously not the player he was and his stats expose that showing a significant decline in productivity through the years. I'm less interested in rushing titles and would like to see some complimentary football played around here for a change. I wish the Cowboys would get rid of J. Smith first, but the in over his head GM considers that Dude a cornerstone.

The Cowboys were wholly incompetent signing a RB to an elite level contract and handing a gimpy LB who shies away from contact to a big deal. Those two players and the cap hit they will impose on the team will become a significant progress stopping dynamic, particularly next year when the cap gets significantly reduced.

aria

Reaction score
:lmao:

OMG! This would be a dream come true! Please let zeke go and please leave. Who’s your real team warrior, Philthy?

Sydla

Reaction score
There is if you want to win a Super Bowl. An elite RB isn't elite running behind rookie UDFAs, but with the regular OL on the field an elite back can be the difference between winning one playoff game and winning a Super Bowl.

Maybe.

But it’s moot because Elliott isn’t elite anymore.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone feels that much loyalty towards Elliott after his off the field issues and then strong arming his way to a very early extension.

The Cowboys should give him an opportunity to bounce back with a healthier and hopefully better 2021 team. Sans the fumbles Zeke had pretty good games in 3 out of 5 to start the season. If he struggles in 2021 then you start thinking about the future.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they’re loyal to zeke. This man s had a declining o- line since his rookie year and continues to run hard and kick up the blitz. He also had a receiving t d. He leads the team in t ds
All true. But here’s what’s also true:
  • The top 10 producing RBs in this league currently have an avg age of 23.9
  • Four of those ten RBs were first round picks. Five were drafted in rounds 2-6, 1 is a UFA.
  • Only 3 of those top 10 RBs have a “second contract” meaning they are still on “rookie deals”.
  • Most NFL teams don’t overpay for RB talent because they can get great production with young, cheaper guys.
  • Only the Rams, Cowboys and Jets have paid huge cap space to a RB lately. And both the Rams and jets have since released their big contract RBs- Todd Gurley and Le’Veon Bell. Both teams considered it a better move to take the cap hit than keep paying them.
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Zeke, he is not producing to the level of his pay. That is not sustainable in today’s NFL. Tony Pollard, behind the same line, averages 4.4 ypc compared to Zeke’s 3.7. Pollard also has more runs of 20+ yards, not only this season but last season too. Zeke has had only one run over 40 yards since his rookie year. That’s not all on the OL decline or injuries.

IMO, Zeke’s days here are numbered.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm sorry to be mean, but this sounds like a post by a child, not by someone that has been following the team for 30 years.

I'm a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, not of the individual players.

Yes, we all have favorite players but they often move on either to other teams or they retire.

If it eases your mind, the salary cap ramifications will keep Zeke on the team regardless of other issues.

kskboys

Reaction score
All true. But here’s what’s also true:
  • The top 10 producing RBs in this league currently have an avg age of 23.9
  • Four of those ten RBs were first round picks. Five were drafted in rounds 2-6, 1 is a UFA.
  • Only 3 of those top 10 RBs have a “second contract” meaning they are still on “rookie deals”.
  • Most NFL teams don’t overpay for RB talent because they can get great production with young, cheaper guys.
  • Only the Rams, Cowboys and Jets have paid huge cap space to a RB lately. And both the Rams and jets have since released their big contract RBs- Todd Gurley and Le’Veon Bell. Both teams considered it a better move to take the cap hit than keep paying them.
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Zeke, he is not producing to the level of his pay. That is not sustainable in today’s NFL. Tony Pollard, behind the same line, averages 4.4 ypc compared to Zeke’s 3.7. Pollard also has more runs of 20+ yards, not only this season but last season too. Zeke has had only one run over 40 yards since his rookie year. That’s not all on the OL decline or injuries.

IMO, Zeke’s days here are numbered.
Agree w/ everything except the comparison to Pollard. Bobs, you are way too wily to fall for the ol' backup speed back's higher YPC means he's better thingie!!!!
Although I would bemoan losing a player we took w/ major resources, I'm not sure I would mind so much if he were gone.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree w/ everything except the comparison to Pollard. Bobs, you are way too wily to fall for the ol' backup speed back's higher YPC means he's better thingie!!!!
Although I would bemoan losing a player we took w/ major resources, I'm not sure I would mind so much if he were gone.

I'm not going defend Zeke and I'm a big fan of Pollard but looking at stats by a limited snaps player compared to a majority snaps starter is meaningless.

:hammer:

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm not going defend Zeke and I'm a big fan of Pollard but looking at stats by a limited snaps player compared to a majority snaps starter is meaningless.

Everything worked out perfectly the last time we gave the backup a big contract and all the carries. Everything was great in those Super Bowls we won with Marion Barber III taking us to the promised land.

Every. Thing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
OL issues aside, just on pay Zeke's contract is far more team friendly than Gurley or Bell. Both Bell and Gurley made about 28 million over their two years with the Jets and Rams on those contracts. Zeke has 17. That's a huge difference.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Zeke will be fine if he focuses and quits playing hero ball. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Zeke has suited up for games this year while high.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is a very good point about a backup player. My thought on letting Zeke go with the cap hit is, why continue the charade if he’s ineffective? We could probably draft someone next year with better production. I know many will say the cap hit isn’t worth it...and I get that. But I’m still not sure it wouldn’t be better just cut your losses at the end of this year.
OL issues aside, just on pay Zeke's contract is far more team friendly than Gurley or Bell. Both Bell and Gurley made about 28 million over their two years with the Jets and Rams on those contracts. Zeke has 17. That's a huge difference.
Fair point. Again, I’m just not sold on the idea that keeping him is a must.