If Zeke gets released, I’m not supporting this team

ultron

Reaction score
Too much dead money until 2022, so he’ll be released at the end of 2022 season (2 more seasons)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke will be fine if he focuses and quits playing hero ball. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Zeke has suited up for games this year while high.
If that’s true that he’s played high (I’m not sure it is) it may be grounds to void his contract. There is language in every contract that can stipulate that a serious misconduct situation can void the deal. I’m not sure that substance abuse would count. But if I were running this team and a player shows up to a game high, he’s not playing period. He would probably qualify to be placed in some kind of rehab or intervention program, but certainly not playing.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
They'd take a $24mill dead cap hit next year if they release him. He'll be here at least another year.

You have to subtract his base salary from that number. His base salary is either $10M or $14M. So the net cap hit would be either $10M or $14M. Split over two years, a post June designation if it still exists, and it goes down to $5M or $7M for two years. Very possible.

coult44

Reaction score
….you could.....but it would be laughable.....we ain't seen a SB since '95.

Zeke carried us to the playoffs? But, he’s been trash without the great OL. Doesn’t that mean the great OL carried us to the playoffs?

snadler

Reaction score
Until Stephens successor takes over for him.
I saw online that some people think zekes getting released. If that happens, I’ll legit stop following this team after 30 years. I lost live for them and mainly dak when dez got scape hosted and released. I missed a few games. If zekes released after carrying this team to two playoff appearances and suffering behind the worst o-line in football this year and NEVER! Missing a game due to injury, I’ll support another team for the rest of stephens life.

then you are a Zeke fan and not a Cowboys fan..any Cowboys fan can see he’s a shell of himself making way too much money where we can find a replacement from 1/4 of the price. He’s slower, heavier and not as hungry once he gets paid..we can finish 3-13 with or without him..

fivetwos

Reaction score
I just hope they can maybe replace him with the high pick in this draft.

Remember, you have to take running backs early or they are all gone.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If that’s true that he’s played high (I’m not sure it is) it may be grounds to void his contract. There is language in every contract that can stipulate that a serious misconduct situation can void the deal. I’m not sure that substance abuse would count. But if I were running this team and a player shows up to a game high, he’s not playing period. He would probably qualify to be placed in some kind of rehab or intervention program, but certainly not playing.

What evidence is there to suggest that it's true, other than some random on a message board made a claim?

blumayne38

Reaction score
Dak more likely to get released...he isn’t getting a contract that he wants in Dallas.

Cmac

Reaction score
Zeke carried us to the playoffs? But, he’s been trash without the great OL. Doesn’t that mean the great OL carried us to the playoffs?
Is this a new theme....or its bored Bye Week day.....this tune has been going on for sometime. Cool.

ghst187

Reaction score
If we release him it’s because we were idiots to give him a huge contract two years before we needed to and now see it wasn’t worth it...at all.

kskboys

Reaction score
That is a very good point about a backup player. My thought on letting Zeke go with the cap hit is, why continue the charade if he’s ineffective? We could probably draft someone next year with better production. I know many will say the cap hit isn’t worth it...and I get that. But I’m still not sure it wouldn’t be better just cut your losses at the end of this year.
Fair point. Again, I’m just not sold on the idea that keeping him is a must.
From what I'm seeing from Zeke, I really don't see why a nice power back along the lines of maybe Jonathon Taylor or David Montgomery wouldn't be about the same.

DanA

Reaction score
I don’t think it makes sense to cut Zeke now unless you are worried he’ll get injured and his contract will be guaranteed for further years.

You’d do it at the start of next years league season before 2022 also becomes guaranteed. Honestly, it’s the worst contract, I don’t know what they were thinking.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I highly doubt Zeke gets released this season. Maybe next year, but injuries are going to make most GMs think twice about major shakeups. Plus, this team will probably go all defense this draft and eat Zeke’s cap hit one more year. Jerruh wants to keep his offense in tact when Dak comes back next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick84

Reaction score
38de9ea933036b54871fe1fe61cc87c0.gif
it took 3 pages, but someone finally posted the correct response

tico

Reaction score
I was not happy when we didn't keep D Murray, then we drafted Zeke he gave us 4 Solid years and I was excited about that... I'm a huge Zeke fan but he's lost his explosion but money wise he'll be here 1 more season. But after we get the next best thing I'll be excited about him. Part of being a fan.