Ignore Option Functionality

Kwyn

Reaction score
Does the board software allow for the possibility of allowing threads posted by an ignored poster to still appear but without the body of the text?

From time to time, someone on my ignore list will post a thread that is relevant to the board and it becomes the primary thread for the other hundreds of posters who have commmentary .

If you have the OP on ignore, the entire thread is invisible.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never used the Ignore feature as long as I've been screwing around on the Cowboys sites. And the most childish thing posters do here is threaten to put someone on Ignore, how childish. I know some have me on Ignore for their own reasons, some of which I agree with if they're strictly here to discuss the Cowboys or don't have to time for journey's off the beaten path, but the ones that felt the need to threaten me before doing that, I am glad they did it because I consider them that little rat faced kid we all knew in school that loved to tattle.

There are posters I like and almost always read their stuff, if the subject is of interest, and even the ones that I don't care for will write something interesting.

I view our little gathering here as a microcosm of the real world and the Ignore button does not exist out there. You can choose to ignore them, as you can easily do here as well, without using the button.

For those that do use it, I surely understand because there are some real aholes with their writing, may not really be that way in real life, and the bickering can get old like having 7 and 8 year old siblings in the back seat on a long drive. However, I view the Ignore button as surrender, they won and I will never give an awesome person the win.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I have never used the Ignore feature as long as I've been screwing around on the Cowboys sites. And the most childish thing posters do here is threaten to put someone on Ignore, how childish. I know some have me on Ignore for their own reasons, some of which I agree with if they're strictly here to discuss the Cowboys or don't have to time for journey's off the beaten path, but the ones that felt the need to threaten me before doing that, I am glad they did it because I consider them that little rat faced kid we all knew in school that loved to tattle.

There are posters I like and almost always read their stuff, if the subject is of interest, and even the ones that I don't care for will write something interesting.

I view our little gathering here as a microcosm of the real world and the Ignore button does not exist out there. You can choose to ignore them, as you can easily do here as well, without using the button.

For those that do use it, I surely understand because there are some real aholes with their writing, may not really be that way in real life, and the bickering can get old like having 7 and 8 year old siblings in the back seat on a long drive. However, I view the Ignore button as surrender, they won and I will never give an awesome person the win.
The board has certain rules that everyone has to follow if they want to post here.

The ignore function allows users to add their own “rules” when the broader guidelines are insufficient.

I’m just looking to fine tune my experience a bit and make the best use of my time by eliminating some of the “noise” and focusing on the “signal”.

If an infamous troll just happens to post the news of the day, it sucks to have to miss the conversation being held by the rest of the forum because of a technical limitation of the board software. If there was an option to ban the comments but not topics, that would be great.

I use ignore primarily to screen out some posters who have some pretty hateful agendas that they barely hide and, of course, a few well-known trolls whose entire accounts are memes crafted to antagonize people.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The board has certain rules that everyone has to follow if they want to post here.

The ignore function allows users to add their own “rules” when the broader guidelines are insufficient.

I’m just looking to fine tune my experience a bit and make the best use of my time by eliminating some of the “noise” and focusing on the “signal”.

If an infamous troll just happens to post the news of the day, it sucks to have to miss the conversation being held by the rest of the forum because of a technical limitation of the board software. If there was an option to ban the comments but not topics, that would be great.

I use ignore primarily to screen out some posters who have some pretty hateful agendas that they barely hide and, of course, a few well-known trolls whose entire accounts are memes crafted to antagonize people.
There is the option to "view anyway", isn't there? I have a few posters on ignore, simply because if I don't, I'll think maybe I should give their posts another chance, and I end up feeling like an idiot for doing so. Putting those people on ignore is like keeping my golf clubs in the basement closet. If I don't see 'em they won't piss me off.

Kwyn

Reaction score
There is the option to "view anyway", isn't there? I have a few posters on ignore, simply because if I don't, I'll think maybe I should give their posts another chance, and I end up feeling like an idiot for doing so. Putting those people on ignore is like keeping my golf clubs in the basement closet. If I don't see 'em they won't piss me off.
I don’t think so.

Awhile back posted a thread that was about a news topic I didn’t see on the front page. It was merged into another and when I saw the merge message in my alerts. I followed it and discovered the the OP of the main thread was someone I had on ignore. I took him off ignore so I could follow the conversation of the other posters

Putting the OP back on ignore completely deleted the entire topic from the board for me unless I then went and took him off ignore.

If the person on ignore comments in the body of the thread, their entire post is hidden, which is fine.

It’s only when they are the thread starter and they’ve somehow stumbled upon a bit of news first this becomes a real problem that impairs the board functionality on a broader scale.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t think so.

Awhile back posted a thread that was about a news topic I didn’t see on the front page. It was merged into another and when I saw the merge message in my alerts. I followed it and discovered the the OP of the main thread was someone I had on ignore. I took him off ignore so I could follow the conversation of the other posters

Putting the OP back on ignore completely deleted the entire topic from the board for me unless I then went and took him off ignore.

If the person on ignore comments in the body of the thread, their entire post is hidden, which is fine.

It’s only when they are the thread starter and they’ve somehow stumbled upon a bit of news first this becomes a real problem that impairs the board functionality on a broader scale.
I see. I wonder how many times that's happened to me. Nah, I don't care. The people I have on ignore mostly have annoying opinions anyway, so I can't imagine the thread being anything other than one big argument.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I don’t think so.

You will not see the original post of the person on ignore but you will see the post in the responses to it by people you do not have on ignore

Kwyn

Reaction score
You will not see the original post of the person on ignore but you will see the post in the responses to it by people you do not have on ignore
Yep. Unless the person on ignore is the OP.

that’s the problem I was hoping to resolve. There could be a setting in the actual api that could toggle that.

didn’t hurt to ask

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry, it actually reads, "Show ignored content", though apparently that's not the case when the ignoree starts the thread.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Sorry, it actually reads, "Show ignored content", though apparently that's not the case when the ignoree starts the thread.
It’s not a huge deal, at all, and only a problem when someone on ignore happens to be the first to post news. I wouldn’t be likely to miss out on much from any opinion threads they may start :)