Twitter: Iloka Contract Details

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He only started 3 games last year for the Vikings. No one said he's better than Heath. He's now part of the rotation at best.
He can't run at all with receivers and has to play close to the LOS. He's a SS with limited skills in the passing game.

That was not true for most of his career. He played FS including single-high for most of his time with the Beagals.

Having said that, Heath is not as bad as fans claim. He played with a wrist injury at the end of the season and in the playoffs which made it difficult for him to tackle. Despite the limitation they preferred his coverage ability over using Frazier for better run defense.

Heath had 1 big mistake in the Rams game and some people use that as their proof that he is terrible.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
It's 50/50 if this guy even makes the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? Have you studied his games when he's a significant liability in the passing game. I agree that
he can tackle and move along from sideline to sideline. I suggest he's not going to be in a bunch on passing
downs.

I view Iloka as a part of the rotation, not some savior. I think he'll be used in situations where Heath has been a liability, while Heath will still be used in some situations where he does better than Iloka. A timeshare deal.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
$3 or $4 million for Iloka wouldn't have surprised me. At the vet minimum, he's a steal.

ksg811

Reaction score
The way I read it is that his contract is 930K but only part of it counts under the "Rule of 51" that only the top 51 salaries count under the cap in the offseason. It also has a bonus that may or may not be "likely to be earned". I would guess its a roster bonus.

I read that as if Iloka makes the team, he gets $1,020,000. If he doesn't, he gets $210,000.

It’s not “Rule of 51”, it’s a vet minimum benefit. Any veteran with 4 or more years of service who signs a 1 year minimum deal with no more than a 90k bonus (hence the specific 90k here) gets treated as a 2nd year player for cap purposes, which is a salary of $645k. Include the signing bonus, and that’s his $735k cap hit despite a higher base salary. Same reason why L.P only has a $735k cal hit despite a base salary over a million.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don’t get anyone being happy about this. I liked the signing but now I’m not sure. I have no idea how to feel about signing a guy who was willing to accept that deal. Only a player worried about not getting a single offer takes that deal at this point and why would you want a guy like that?

Kaiser

Reaction score
It’s not “Rule of 51”, it’s a vet minimum benefit. Any veteran with 4 or more years of service who signs a 1 year minimum deal with no more than a 90k bonus (hence the specific 90k here) gets treated as a 2nd year player for cap purposes, which is a salary of $645k. Include the signing bonus, and that’s his $735k cap hit despite a higher base salary. Same reason why L.P only has a $735k cal hit despite a base salary over a million.

Thanks, I heard about that a while back but completely forgot.

Sydla

Reaction score
That was not true for most of his career. He played FS including single-high for most of his time with the Beagals.

Having said that, Heath is not as bad as fans claim. He played with a wrist injury at the end of the season and in the playoffs which made it difficult for him to tackle. Despite the limitation they preferred his coverage ability over using Frazier for better run defense.

Heath had 1 big mistake in the Rams game and some people use that as their proof that he is terrible.

He wasn't a good tackler in 2017 when healthy. And he didn't miss 22 tackles all in the last few games when he got hurt.

He's not a good tackler. He's also not really all that great in coverage. It's peculiar why people just can't admit to what Heath really is - a special teams dude who is a decent backup S.

And it's disingenuous to suggest it's just one play from the Rams game that people use to say he is not that good. That play symbolized what people have said about Heath for a few years........ he struggles at play awareness and sometimes lacks a "feel" for what is going on during a play.

DallasMike

Reaction score
$3 or $4 million for Iloka wouldn't have surprised me. At the vet minimum, he's a steal.
I agree. I thought he was getting more the the vet min and when I heard the details I was shocked. He was solid with Cindy and making over 5 million. And still only 28.

dallasdave

Reaction score
giphy.gif
Pour me a tall one :)

jrumann59

Reaction score

Its like the argument that Polamalu and Ed Reed were Safety Gods, they free lanced and made highlight reels. Luckily for them ESPN did not run the plays where they free lanced and were out of position and gave up TDs.