Im not a big fan on big money FA but Leonard Williams seems worth it to this team

aria

Reaction score
I'd 100% rather have Williams at 20 mill than Tomlinson at 15 mill. One is a game changer and the other is a jag that you can replicate with a 3rd or 4th round pick.
One was a game changer for 2 years. Rookie year or year after and contract year. For 20 million I’ll pass on the risk. Paying that much for an inconsistent run stuffer is the exact type of move Jerry would make.

Lol, Tomlinson is a JAG you can replicate with a 3rd or 4th round pick yet we can’t do it with a 2nd....ok. Don’t let numbers fool you, Williams had a whopping 1 sack in 2019 and Tomlinson had similar or more tackles in the previous 2-3 seasons than Williams. I don’t care if Williams changed teams or not, that’s hardly worth the 20 mil risk factor.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
There are some (non-first rounders) big body guys in this years draft that would be cheaper. And when I say big bodies I mean 6'4" 300 pounds or bigger.

Tedarrell Slaton - 3rd
Xavier Kelly - 4th
Isaiah Loudermilk - 5th
Jaquan Jones - 5th
Aubrey Solomon - 7th
Phil Hoskins - UDRFA
Jack Heflin - UDRFA

A big and physical front seven will definitely help.
There are big bodies every year everywhere that doesn't mean they can rush the passer and impact games. We need playmakers especially one who can rush the passer from the inside.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thats just lazy. He's been one of the most productive runstopping DTs in the league since he was drafted and now posts 11.5 sacks last season. Look like I said I'm not a huge fan of paying big money but I would rather have him than Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford which is equally the same $. Since we probably won't have enough money to get him I would love to see us target Christian Barmore either at 10 or in a small trade down.
There's nothing lazy about it. You may have been impressed with Leonard Williams but there was a reason why he was traded for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick after years removed from being a top pick. HE hasn't lived up to his potential. Its nothing against him he may go on and be one of the best DT's of all time. I'm just saying history isn't good of players like this going on to fulfill their potential or live up to their contract.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Our team and our situation right now this guy would change this defense from one of the worst in the NFL to one of the best in the NFL. Known for his run stopping he had a ton of sacks last year and we would finally have someone who could consistently collapse the pocket. The biggest question is, can we afford him after we sign or tag Dak?

LEONARD WILLIAMS
One of the surest bets in the class, Williams has graded between 70.0 and 82.0 in all six years of his career. Run defense is his calling card, as he ranks in the 86th percentile in PFF run-defense grade since entering the league and with his best work coming as a B and C gap defender. Williams is an average pass-rusher and even with a career-high 13 sacks this season, he’s yet to break a 72.0 pass-rush grade for his career. Still, Williams has been one of the most valuable interior defensive linemen in the league since 2015, and his level of consistency is a plus for potential suitors.

Contract Analysis: Williams was traded from the New York Jets to the New York Giants in 2019 and had to move his locker across Metlife Stadium. He may be moving much further than that after the 2020 season unless he can agree to a long-term extension with the Giants coming off the franchise tag. A second franchise tag for Williams would cost the Giants $19,351,200 (120% of his current tag) and isn’t out of the question. That number also provides a solid floor for Williams in negotiations in terms of an average per year amount.

Prediction: Panthers sign Williams for four years, $80 million ($20M APY): $47.5M total guaranteed, $32.5M fully guaranteed at signing.

How about Tomlinson?

Swagger

Reaction score
We won't be able to afford players like Williams once Prescott is signed. So get used to the fat, lazy, old and unproductive cheap free agents.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
There are big bodies every year everywhere that doesn't mean they can rush the passer and impact games. We need playmakers especially one who can rush the passer from the inside.
We already have DT's that can rush the passer from the inside in Hill and Gallimore. That's what they were drafted for. We need DT's that don't get pushed around to help us stop the run. It's funny, you still want us to get after the QB when we just had the worst run defense I've ever seen wearing the star?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Leonard Williams would be a great addition for sure. He’s exactly what our DL needs. But it will never happen. He will be just too expensive.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LW will either get tagged or become the highest paid DL in football surpassing Aaron Donald.
There are teams with a boat load of cap cash top spend and a desire to add elite level talent.
LW is probably just not entering his prime and a 5 year deal for his entire prime would be worth so much to any team.
Dallas will never be in this type outside free agent again as long as Stephen Jones runs the front office purse strings.

aria

Reaction score
Williams had one sack in 2019, let the Giants take the risk.

This is a class case of if he was a Cowboy people would be saying he’s not worth it, only had two good years (one being a contract year) and he can be easily replaced but since he’s on another team then those same fans want him.

How many players in the past 10 years have we let walk that the majority of fans thought was a dumb idea? Almost zero.

How many players in the past 10 years have we extended that the majority of fans thought was worth it? Almost zero.

There’s a pattern and disconnect here, especially for a team that some insist are so good at drafting.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
We can’t afford two DL at 20 million per year. Jerry blew his load on Tank.