I'm very surprised at the Raiders' signing of Witten

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We got Witten's best years. He's no longer an elite tight end. It makes me surprised that he would want to go to another team in his twilight and learn another system, and it's a team that's unlikely to be a Super Bowl contender next year. I'm not mad at him. He can do what he wants. I wish him well. I'm just surprised.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We got Witten's best years. He's no longer an elite tight end. It makes me surprised that he would want to go to another team in his twilight and learn another system, and it's a team that's unlikely to be a Super Bowl contender next year. I'm not mad at him. He can do what he wants. I wish him well. I'm just surprised.

He said he wants to play another year. Maybe the Raiders were the only team that wanted him? If so he'd be forced to play for them.

I'm more surprised the Raiders will pay him nearly $5 mil, that's a lot of money for an old slow tight end. But so what if he's not an elite tight end, there are 32 teams with several tight ends each, and only a handful of elite ones, guess 60 catches and 5 tds is worth $5 mil.

:rolleyes:

ghst187

Reaction score
He hasn't been elite in seven years or more.

neither have the Raiders, Chucky never was, and as shown by recent moves, they generally hate top talent in their prime....

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

The Raiders cut bait w Jared cook who is way way better than anything they have now. So they are good at making bad decisions

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/6rn7dx-EGlr7Wf67wAsxmsNUic6a5jC1ziTXB7PDBJaSCN1MP37w4eYs_uCLeptJEHcWSt0cKprNGQl5EMWAueshYapMrzjXLxgsRDs8AIueFzCKRp8
s-l400.jpg

I guess some guys just want to play for as long as they can. Tough to give it up when you've been doing it since you were a kid.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/6rn7dx-EGlr7Wf67wAsxmsNUic6a5jC1ziTXB7PDBJaSCN1MP37w4eYs_uCLeptJEHcWSt0cKprNGQl5EMWAueshYapMrzjXLxgsRDs8AIueFzCKRp8
s-l400.jpg

I guess some guys just want to play for as long as they can. Tough to give it up when you've been doing it since you were a kid.

Yeah, Joe Namath played well past when he should have hung up his cleats. If you're near my age, you may remember him hobbling around in a Rams uniform.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
He'll be going from Turf to Grass which may help since his speed has faded. Ya know he wanted to break Dezs Td Record but he really doesnt deserve that accolade since it took 20 seasons.

Big_D

Reaction score
The Raiders have a quality young TE in Waller. Witten is the backup. He's a situational TE and blocker there to help the development. They won't be as stupid as Garrett and co.

Big_D

Reaction score
The Raiders cut bait w Jared cook who is way way better than anything they have now. So they are good at making bad decisions

Actually what looked like poor decisions turned out to be very smart decisions. Not paying Cooper, Mack or Cook. Raiders will be a very good young team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not surprised at all. He may not be starter quality anymore, but he’s not only a helluva backup but his leadership is invaluable. People who’ve never been part of a team don’t get it. I’m sure he had multiple choices because of just that.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Actually what looked like poor decisions turned out to be very smart decisions. Not paying Cooper, Mack or Cook. Raiders will be a very good young team.
I think cook moving to turf w drew brees was a good move on his part. I really wanted him in Dallas but they just flat out refuse to pick someone up in free agency for a decade.

kskboys

Reaction score
You shouldn't be. While Witten has definitely regressed w/ age, he's still a capable backup, and an excellent mentor to young players.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was still a better player at the end than most of our fans wanted to admit.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was still a better player at the end than most of our fans wanted to admit.
He was. It was our own fault that he was playing way more snaps at that stage of his career than he should've been. I seem him catching 40 passes or so for Raiders.