Imagine taking T.J. Watt instead of Taco

Rayman70

Reaction score
Imagine taking Joe Montana instead of Doug Cosby.
at the time we Had Danny White in his prime. He went on 2 take Dallas to multiple NFC Title games. If just 1 of those games turn out differently, He would be in the hall. He was plenty good. I see why we passed on Montana. Danny was $. The issue was the aging Defense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
and having the super duo linebacker core of Parsons w/ Watt.......even greater than the doomsday defense of the landry era.....I cringe everytime I think about it Taco bum was selected instead of......could of should of.....but its great to ponder..
We don't have to imagine.
It's our reality.
:(

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's just it that I don't think people think about when they ponder changing history. If the Cowboys take Watt, that alone would create an entirely different ripple through time, very likely to change the outcome of our future selections.
Has no one watched Back to the Future? Avengers Endgame? Come on.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
and having the super duo linebacker core of Parsons w/ Watt.......even greater than the doomsday defense of the landry era.....I cringe everytime I think about it Taco bum was selected instead of......could of should of.....but its great to ponder..
All teams kick themselves for draft pick misses.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
We have hit on our fair share.
So really no complaints.
We got Dak for a 4th rounder for crying out loud!

Kingofholland

Reaction score

This seems to come up every couple of months. We made the wrong pick, many teams did that year. However, at the time of the draft it was a lot harder of a decision it appears to be now. Taco was graded a little higher and had the prototypical size the Cowboys coveted over Watt. It's a good lesson though in understanding how the Cowboys missed on Taco.

My biggest concern with him at draft time was he looked more like an LDE that needed to add strength. He also wasn't a player that jumped off the charts with speed/athleticism for his position, yet the front office was thinking he was an RDE. I was ok with the pick at the time, but didn't think we were getting someone that had a strong chance to develop into a high end player. I thought we were getting a solid contributor, but never imagined he would have been such a big bust.

krimson

Reaction score
It never would have happened. You take TJ and he makes us a different team. It changes our draft every year. You possibly don’t get Lamb, Diggs, or Parsons.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then they would have won more and would not have been able to draft Micah Parsons.

Parsons > T.J. Watt

kskboys

Reaction score
This seems to come up every couple of months. We made the wrong pick, many teams did that year. However, at the time of the draft it was a lot harder of a decision it appears to be now. Taco was graded a little higher and had the prototypical size the Cowboys coveted over Watt. It's a good lesson though in understanding how the Cowboys missed on Taco.

My biggest concern with him at draft time was he looked more like an LDE that needed to add strength. He also wasn't a player that jumped off the charts with speed/athleticism for his position, yet the front office was thinking he was an RDE. I was ok with the pick at the time, but didn't think we were getting someone that had a strong chance to develop into a high end player. I thought we were getting a solid contributor, but never imagined he would have been such a big bust.
All true.

The warnings signs were that he was a one year wonder in college and a slow learner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

kskboys

Reaction score
People like to use the hindsight thing in an effort to feel better.

Adding insult to injury, Watt is within striking distance of the all time sack record.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-gives-him-shot-at-single-season-sack-record/

I’ll never forget this monumental blunder on Cowboys history.
I'm firmly convinced that many many people do not understand the definition of the term "hindsight".

It appears to be the goto when one cannot think of anything else to say, and it's generally a very weak assessment.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm firmly convinced that many many people do not understand the definition of the term "hindsight".

It appears to be the goto when one cannot think of anything else to say, and it's generally a very weak assessment.

It’s an attempt at a broad brush, get out of jail free card, used when ‘their team’ makes a mistake. A built in defense mechanism because they can’t handle harsh truths and feel compelled to make excuses.