CFZ IMO-The key player for a Cowboys win

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s Tony Pollard. Not replacing Zeke or any of his carries, but actually being on the field at the same time as Zeke. As a slot receiver and occasional runner, and a guy being moved around like a pawn on a chessboard. Tony Pollard should be shown to the Bucs defense in multiple looks and roles.

And by the way, by using Pollard alongside Zeke wont hurt Zeke- it will help him! It may actually open some running opportunities for Zeke and also some opportunities catching the ball out the backfield. With our OL on shaky ground Sun night, I wouldn’t expect a traditional brand of a “power running game” coupled with a traditional drop back passing game.

So, with that in mind- Here’s how I hope we see Pollard Sunday night:
  • Starting along with Zeke - but as a slot receiver.
  • Getting 5-7 receiving targets, and at least 8-10 carries; a total of 12-15 touches.
  • Getting at least 40 offensive snaps.
We all know Cedee Lamb and Noah Brown will start at WR- and Rookie Jalen Tolbert. Although Tolbert has big upside, I don’t think he should get more than a few snaps. Devante Turpin and Dennis Houston will probably also get some snaps. Tony Pollard should be getting more snaps as a slot receiver than Tolbert because he’s a better option NOW.

Who knows what Kellen Moore does Sunday night. But I will be surprised and disappointed if Tony Pollard is not a major player. He may be the wild card on offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It’s Tony Pollard. Not replacing Zeke or any of his carries, but actually being on the field at the same time as Zeke. As a slot receiver and occasional runner, and a guy being moved around like a pawn on a chessboard. Tony Pollard should be shown to the Bucs defense in multiple looks and roles.

And by the way, by using Pollard alongside Zeke wont hurt Zeke- it will help him! It may actually open some running opportunities for Zeke and also some opportunities catching the ball out the backfield. With our OL on shaky ground Sun night, I wouldn’t expect a traditional brand of a “power running game” coupled with a traditional drop back passing game.

• Getting 5-7 receiving targets, and at least 8-10 carries; a total of 12-15 touches.
We all know Cedee Lamb and Noah Brown will start at WR- and Rookie Jalen Tolbert. Although Tolbert has big upside, I don’t think he should get more than a few snaps. Devante Turpin and Dennis Houston will probably also get some snaps. Tony Pollard should be getting more snaps as a slot receiver than Tolbert because he’s a better option NOW.

Who knows what Kellen Moore does Sunday night. But I will be surprised and disappointed if Tony Pollard is not a major player. He may be the wild card on offense.
you will be disappointed, as jerry wants the focus on elliot.
I think the key player is turpin, if he can produce a score or 2 cowboys win, if not cowboys lose.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Love it @Bobhaze. I think Pollard's speed can make a difference in this game because those holes are going to close quick, but TP doesn't need a lot of space to shoot thru to the secondary.

Misdirection could be huge for Dallas as you hit on. The jetsweep action from Pollard n Turpin adds a legit threat to the defense holding those DEs so Zeke may have time to get thru a hole.

I think it's malpractice by KM n McCarthy to not get TP at least 10 carries per game...no excuse for that.

StarLord

Reaction score
I saw this headline. I paused and thought for a moment and came to Tony Pollard. I then clicked the link and was not disappointed. I believe he CAN be the key player of the game.. I'm, however, worried Jerry will insist on spotlighting Zeke. I was honestly shocked at how little they used him in our playoff game. Hearing that it was due to Jerry's insistence was the final straw for me thinking Jerry wants to win more than anything. He doesn't... it truly is the circus act for him.

StarLord

Reaction score
Love it @Bobhaze. I think Pollard's speed can make a difference in this game because those holes are going to close quick, but TP doesn't need a lot of space to shoot thru to the secondary.

Misdirection could be huge for Dallas as you hit on. The jetsweep action from Pollard n Turpin adds a legit threat to the defense holding those DEs so Zeke may have time to get thru a hole.

I think it's malpractice by KM n McCarthy to not get TP at least 10 carries per game...no excuse for that.

It will be malpractice but it will be on the Jones boys.

75boyz

Reaction score
Agreed Bob.

But then there's this:
It's a little strange that, unless my memory is really really bad, that Moore was the biggest supporter of all in Pollard's draft day selection. I believe he took the lead in this.

So it makes it even stranger to me that Moore has either under utilized this kid's skillset after standing in his corner on draft day OR...

Is taking some kinda orders from the Pressbox Coach to maintain the bigger narrative of balancing Zeke's touches with that contract.

Why insist on drafting him if you're not gonna use him?

Doesn't make any sense.

jmo

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

Nope it’s Dak. If he plays well we will win.

RonWashington

Reaction score

20 & 21 should be on the field alot together especially with an unsettled WR group early

RonWashington

Reaction score
Another important piece to the puzzle is Dalton Schultz . Got the nice franchise tag contract and Dak needs the TE spot to come through in a big way . Something tells me Todd Bowles will have Lamb seeing multiple Bucs covering him coming out of the tunnel .

plymkr

Reaction score
I feel it's Turpin. I am anxious to see him return kicks. I would also like to have Pollard in the backfield and Turpin out wide in a bubble screen. Defense would have to decide which speedster to focus on. I'm hoping Moore employs the WR bubble screen for Turpin.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
One thing I like about getting them on the field at the same time is that we have more options on the play call.

We can give it too Zeke or give it Pollard on misdirection.
We could use Pollard as a receiver and have Zeke Blocking or have Pollard chipping some where and have Zeke out in the flats.
We could have play action pass and both of them blocking, or one or the other running a pattern. Both our tackles may need help.
We could have all three of Turpin, Zeke and Pollard in the back field and send either Pollard or Turpin in motion.

There are just unlimited things you can do if you get your best players on the field at the same time.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Wouldn’t he play better with some help?

Without a doubt. But the key to this season is Dak, IMO. Every team off the top of my head will not have a successful season if their QB doesn't play well. I'm not that sold on Pollard. But if he's used like you're drawing out, and he does well, I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong about him. I'm not a coach or a GM so I won't pretend that I know how to run an offense like some around here claim to do.

Me personally, I would use Zeke/Pollard like the way we used Jones/Barber. Pollard starts and Zeke finishes.