Improving our offense- Simple advice from Warren Sharp

coult44

Reaction score
This is all obvious stuff, even though it's well written.

It's also the exact opposite of how JG works. These problems date all the way back to 2008.

Agree, but this is why it’s better than just “obvious”. He is basically the cutting edge, “go to mind” regarding football analytics. I’ve read a lot of his stuff and also listened to him talk several times about the Boys and how they approach this new style and “system” of football statistics. He has the numbers to prove that they are way off on their approach and how it correlates to winning. I’ve heard him completely dismantle Linehans and J. Geezys style of play calling and show how they could’ve done more over the past three years to be successful.

Baseball had Billy Bean, football has Sharp. They both have already, and will continue to change the game with this new approach . If Jerry wanted to really shake things up, he’s pay this guy a gazillion dollars to work side by side with Kellen Moore and keep his knowledge out of the hands of our competitors.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning more than one playoff game a season would be the goal.

No one would disagree with that. But we’re not able to beat good teams regularly in the regular season but not beat them in the playoffs because suddenly the inability to be unpredictable on offense is jumping up and biting us but only in January.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
No one would disagree with that. But we’re not able to beat good teams regularly in the regular season but not beat them in the playoffs because suddenly the inability to be unpredictable on offense is jumping up and biting us but only in January.

Red zone efficiency as well as offensive consistency was a problem all of last season, not just in playoffs.q

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Red zone efficiency as well as offensive consistency was a problem all of last season, not just in playoffs.q

Yep. We weren’t perfect. But that’s not really the argument, right?

Hadenough

Reaction score
This afternoon I heard Warren Sharp, one of the most respected offensive minds in the NFL on Dallas radio station “The Ticket” being interviewed by Bob Storm. It was very insightful to say the least (Here’s a link to Sharp’s website-https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/)

Sharp is often a consultant to NFL teams using stats and trends to improve offensive performance. He had some fascinating points and ideas on how the Cowboys can improve their performance on offense. Here were some of his major points describing some of the Cowboys offensive problems and how to fix them:
  • The Cowboys became way too conservative in the 3rd qtr, especially when they had the lead. They ran the ball on first down nearly 60% of the time, and were usually facing 2nd down and long way too often. He recommends passing more on 1st down, especially in the second half to keep defenses honest. He also said throwing a pass to Zeke on first down was a statistical strong play that Linehan rarely called last year.
  • Improving FIRST DOWN playcalling. The Cowboys had THE most predictable offense on first down in the NFL, especially when they had the lead. Sitting on a lead, especially a less than two score lead can kill your momentum and it gives the opponent the edge on being aggressive. The days of being conservative with the lead have become old fashioned. (A real sad trademark of Garrett coached teams)
  • Be more aggressive. Throw deep more, especially on first down. Defenses against us typically stack the box and don’t respect any kind of deep threat. Even if you don’t convert a deep ball, two positives can happen- a PI call or if nothing else, the defense now knows you might try to go over the top and may back off a little on the run.
  • Red zone improvement? Utilize Dak more as a runner. Dak has been the second best red zone runner in the NFL the past two seasons. Because Zeke is expected to run the ball inside the 10, Sharp said running Dak way more than they have in the red zone keeps defenses more in their heels, especially if Dak is a frequent runner.
  • Give defenses more wrinkles in their standard formations. The Cowboys have been extremely conservative in the type of plays they run in certain formations. For example, when running 4 wide and 1 back, they almost always throw, which is fairly predictable. How about running the ball there more? Or with the empty backfield 5 wide sets, how about running a QB draw?
In short:
1. Be more aggressive, especially in the 3rd qtr. (Don’t get so conservative with a lead)
2. Throw deep more.
3. Let Dak run more, especially in red zone.
4. Throw to Zeke more on 1st down.
5. Run less predictable plays from standard formations.

I hope Garrett lets Kellen Moore have the freedom to do these changes. Otherwise, expect another frustrating year on offense.
Predictable play calling combined with a conservative QB who is afraid to make mistakes will get you FGs in the redzone every time. I cant tell you how many times this team has been on the 7 or 8 yd line and they run the ball on first down and then go empty backfield on 2nd and 3rd down. Why not just use Zeke 4 times and bull your way into the endzone. If you have that much money into that offensive line and the best RB in football you have to become unstoppable inside the 7 yd line.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, but this is why it’s better than just “obvious”. He is basically the cutting edge, “go to mind” regarding football analytics. I’ve read a lot of his stuff and also listened to him talk several times about the Boys and how they approach this new style and “system” of football statistics. He has the numbers to prove that they are way off on their approach and how it correlates to winning. I’ve heard him completely dismantle Linehans and J. Geezys style of play calling and show how they could’ve done more over the past three years to be successful.

Baseball had Billy Bean, football has Sharp. They both have already, and will continue to change the game with this new approach . If Jerry wanted to really shake things up, he’s pay this guy a gazillion dollars to work side by side with Kellen Moore and keep his knowledge out of the hands of our competitors.
Very well said.

If you ever hear Warren Sharp talk about football, offense, and how teams can be better, you realize he’s extremely bright. One of the best things I’ve ever heard him say (although I probably can’t quote it exactly) is “Too many football coaches and executives are using an extremely narrow way of thinking about the game and how to use the talent they have.”

Essentially he says too many football coaches get into a self made box on how to run their offense and become way more predictable than they have to be. Someone said earlier in this thread that Garrett is good at inspiring his players to play hard, but that only goes so far. He lacks the creativity and willingness to take reasonable risks to win or even have a “feel” for the ebb and flow of a game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Yea Sharp is cool but he doesn't say anything that 50 other guys on Twitter don't lmao

Dre11

Reaction score
Hey, you noticed!!! Exaggeration to make a point!!!! I am soooooooooooooo proud of you!!!!

Your exaggeration proves no point because they aren't that much different than the rest of the league.

Reaction score
Of course. However, they don't run it every first down, they don't run the same guy up the middle 30 times, they don't throw to the same receiver in the same spot, they don't run the exact same routes all the time.

I'm starting to think that people don't understand what being predictable/unpredictable is.
The Cowboys identity on offense should be to have no identity.

Instead of this "doing what we would best" stuff, we should be attacking the weaknesses of the defense we are facing. Maybe that means running the ball 50 times on Sunday, then throwing it 50 times the following week.

There should be a new game plan every week. After the game, throw it in a desk drawer somewhere and create a new game plan next week.

Nobody does this better than the Patriots. Nobody wins more either.

Reaction score
Very well said.

If you ever hear Warren Sharp talk about football, offense, and how teams can be better, you realize he’s extremely bright. One of the best things I’ve ever heard him say (although I probably can’t quote it exactly) is “Too many football coaches and executives are using an extremely narrow way of thinking about the game and how to use the talent they have.”

Essentially he says too many football coaches get into a self made box on how to run their offense and become way more predictable than they have to be. Someone said earlier in this thread that Garrett is good at inspiring his players to play hard, but that only goes so far. He lacks the creativity and willingness to take reasonable risks to win or even have a “feel” for the ebb and flow of a game.
One of Sharp's big things is that teams run the ball way too much on 1st downs. Causes way to many 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations. He believes 1st and 10 is more of a passing down than a running down. And he has the numbers to prove it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This afternoon I heard Warren Sharp, one of the most respected offensive minds in the NFL on Dallas radio station “The Ticket” being interviewed by Bob Storm. It was very insightful to say the least (Here’s a link to Sharp’s website-https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/)

Sharp is often a consultant to NFL teams using stats and trends to improve offensive performance. He had some fascinating points and ideas on how the Cowboys can improve their performance on offense. Here were some of his major points describing some of the Cowboys offensive problems and how to fix them:
  • The Cowboys became way too conservative in the 3rd qtr, especially when they had the lead. They ran the ball on first down nearly 60% of the time, and were usually facing 2nd down and long way too often. He recommends passing more on 1st down, especially in the second half to keep defenses honest. He also said throwing a pass to Zeke on first down was a statistical strong play that Linehan rarely called last year.
  • Improving FIRST DOWN playcalling. The Cowboys had THE most predictable offense on first down in the NFL, especially when they had the lead. Sitting on a lead, especially a less than two score lead can kill your momentum and it gives the opponent the edge on being aggressive. The days of being conservative with the lead have become old fashioned. (A real sad trademark of Garrett coached teams)
  • Be more aggressive. Throw deep more, especially on first down. Defenses against us typically stack the box and don’t respect any kind of deep threat. Even if you don’t convert a deep ball, two positives can happen- a PI call or if nothing else, the defense now knows you might try to go over the top and may back off a little on the run.
  • Red zone improvement? Utilize Dak more as a runner. Dak has been the second best red zone runner in the NFL the past two seasons. Because Zeke is expected to run the ball inside the 10, Sharp said running Dak way more than they have in the red zone keeps defenses more in their heels, especially if Dak is a frequent runner.
  • Give defenses more wrinkles in their standard formations. The Cowboys have been extremely conservative in the type of plays they run in certain formations. For example, when running 4 wide and 1 back, they almost always throw, which is fairly predictable. How about running the ball there more? Or with the empty backfield 5 wide sets, how about running a QB draw?
In short:
1. Be more aggressive, especially in the 3rd qtr. (Don’t get so conservative with a lead)
2. Throw deep more.
3. Let Dak run more, especially in red zone.
4. Throw to Zeke more on 1st down.
5. Run less predictable plays from standard formations.

I hope Garrett lets Kellen Moore have the freedom to do these changes. Otherwise, expect another frustrating year on offense.
I have a question. What does Booger think of Warren Sharp?

He already bought into part of that by letting Linehan walk but he must know the playbook is Garrett's as well as the game calling philosophy. Garrett's philosophy is to try and get the lead and then try not to lose it. They need to get the lead to go ahead and win it.

So, most feel he's coaching for his job this season. Does he play it conservative or balls out because he has nothing to lose? Or does he play it conservative because of his QB? I wondered that about Linehan because he called a different game with Romo or Romo changed a bushel of plays.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While he appears to motivate well and the players appear to respond to him, he just doesn't appear to understand the flow of the game. He's unaffected by things that should affect him.

Motivating players is the bare minimum that is expected of every coach. They aren't any more motivated then other teams.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This reads like something someone might come up with by posting over splits and comparing the percentages across teams by down, distance, and game situation without actually needing to watch any tape. Ant outliers that show a trend? Suggest the team do opposite next time.
And I don't even think it was that thorough.

"Sitting on a lead, especially a less than two score lead can kill your momentum and it gives the opponent the edge on being aggressive."

Of all Dallas' first-down plays all year with a 1-15 point lead, 175 were in wins, and a total of seven were in losses. And even those seven were split 4 runs, 3 passes.

The Patriots had 11 of those plays in losses, and 8 of the 11 were runs. The Rams had 5 of those plays in losses, and 4 of the 5 were runs.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I don't even think it was that thorough.

"Sitting on a lead, especially a less than two score lead can kill your momentum and it gives the opponent the edge on being aggressive."

Of all Dallas' first-down plays all year with a 1-15 point lead, 175 were in wins, and a total of seven were in losses. And even those seven were split 4 runs, 3 passes.

The Patriots had 11 of those plays in losses, and 8 of the 11 were runs. The Rams had 5 of those plays in losses, and 4 of the 5 were runs.

Great stuff.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I never suggested there weren’t. There are a ton of teams that use unpredictability to their advantage and are successful with it. My point is that not all teams do. So if it’s not necessary to be unpredictable in order to be effective, you can’t just fault an offense for being predictable if it’s also good.

And you don’t necessarily improve by eliminating every tendency. If they know you’re going to likely run on first downs in the third quarter, but they can’t stop you anyway, calling more running plays in those situations doesn’t necessarily help an offense be more effective.

Listen to you...……..somehow trying to defend and justify Garretts boring, predictable offense. Anything to defend your hero.

I guess you don't find it ironic that Warren basically laid out almost word for word what the Garrett haters have complained about with the offense.

1. Predictable
2. Conservative
3. lack of spread formation/movement
4. Not enough deep ball passing
5. Not tailored to the strengths of the QB/more options, runs