In Conclusion, I Blame Garrett

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I mentioned before in another thread Jeff Cavanaugh and others complaining on twitter live during games about the offensive playcalling. Here's Jeff talking about research based on last year.

Basically the worst thing we did (in terms of getting yards) on first down was run the football. The best thing we did was play action. So obviously there were more runs than play action on first down.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you don't self scout/use analytics (or maybe they did and just chose to ignore that input).

edit: Pretty sure this is what he was referring to:

Garrett like to pretend his a genius. But he is nothing more than a moron. I'm surprised that he graduated from an Ivy League school. I think he bought his way into that diploma. Wish he never coached the Cowboys.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's easier to blame Garrett. We can find a way to convince ourselves that there is going to be real change and the Cowboys now have a better chance for a Super Bowl. Far better than when Garrett was the Head Coach...... And when Wade Philips was the HC..... and when Parcells was here.... Campo..... Gailey.......

Garrett wasn't the problem. He was one of the more painful symptoms of the real problem..... And you know this.

You also know that nothing can be done about the real problem....except hope to outlive it.

The real power behind the football operations is the same one responsible for 25 years of mediocrity, failure and irrelevence.

The GM. The part time GM who tells us that this season should be better, he's done all he could.... for a part time GM with 0 credentials other than climb on the back of Jimmy Johnson and attempt to rewrite history based on the outrageous belief that an oil man can walk in and be the architect of one of the greatest dynasties that could have been were it not for that outrageous belief.

Do you know that Jerry Jones never formally announced his decision to make himself GM? He just put the sign on his door. It was noticed later and I remember someone asking him in 1990 who the GM was and I swear his answer was that the team had two GM's.

He knew that if he admitted that he grabbed the title for himself he would have been utterly destroyed by the sports media, the fans, and Jimmy himself.

So the top ranked ticket seller is the same guy that tells us that everything is good each season because he was there to make the important decisions.

He is also there to make the important decisions at each level including coaches and their roles with this franchise. They are not there to build a team, create a plan, instill a culture, foster accountibiliy, be the unmistakable authority. Their job is to coach and follow the instructions of a part time GM who is busy making everybody else's decisions.

The coaches are slowly castrated by Jerry who overrules them when it comes to player issues. He will contradict the authority of his coaches and that is why every Cowboy HC ultimately loses the respect of the team.

The problem was never any coach. It was never any quarterback. Judging by some of Stephens statements recently, the problem will persist afterJerry, it won't go away in my lifetime.

So why don't I just walk? Perhaps you can run, I've been a fan for almost fifty years, the first 25 were at the same glorious level of Brady and the Patriots. It's too late for me, I wouldn't know how to leave.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It's easier to blame Garrett. We can find a way to convince ourselves that there is going to be real change and the Cowboys now have a better chance for a Super Bowl. Far better than when Garrett was the Head Coach...... And when Wade Philips was the HC..... and when Parcells was here.... Campo..... Gailey.......

False. Did not quote your whole entire post. We get it, Jerry and his cronies are the biggest problem. But to let Jason slide and just chalk it up to Jerry? Screw that. Garrett was god awful and lost so many games because of blunders he caused. Chalk up games he lost us vs games he won us and it isn't even close. Sturm wrote an article and went through how many games he gave up just in his first 18 games and then 3 seasons total. It was ridiculous. He's god awful.

Garrett being terrible and Jerry being terrible are separate. Jason does not get to slide on how bad he was. The players did not respect him at all and saw him as a fraud.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I mentioned before in another thread Jeff Cavanaugh and others complaining on twitter live during games about the offensive playcalling. Here's Jeff talking about research based on last year.

Basically the worst thing we did (in terms of getting yards) on first down was run the football. The best thing we did was play action. So obviously there were more runs than play action on first down.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you don't self scout/use analytics (or maybe they did and just chose to ignore that input).

This was the story of how we rolled in the first 3 games, and then got rolled against NO and Minn. We had flipped our throw percentage on 1st downs in the first 3 games to 70% pass, I believe. Then against NO and later Minn., we'd just doggedly run Zeke up the middle on first down in series after series.

Having said that, while we screwed ourselves running, his "successful play" metric leaves a lot to be desired. Likely more important is how many times you screw yourself with a really bad down and distance. That's probably a lot less for run instead of pass.

What he should be looking at is the distribution of down and distance on 2nd down by play type on 1st down.

Does he think that the league has never looked at these numbers? When an entire league of professionals are doing the same thing, you shouldn't be that confident that you know the numbers better than they do.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
False. Did not quote your whole entire post. We get it, Jerry and his cronies are the biggest problem. But to let Jason slide and just chalk it up to Jerry? Screw that. Garrett was god awful and lost so many games because of blunders he caused. Chalk up games he lost us vs games he won us and it isn't even close. Sturm wrote an article and went through how many games he gave up just in his first 18 games and then 3 seasons total. It was ridiculous. He's god awful.

Garrett being terrible and Jerry being terrible are separate. Jason does not get to slide on how bad he was. The players did not respect him at all and saw him as a fraud.

It's amazing how many people can't seem to separate the two. And the outright lies about Jerry 'choosing coaches' continues, with no evidence of that. If anything, Jones was overly loyal to a fault with Jason Garrett and his crime was believing he could become something he never was. If you want to blame Jones for something, blame him for sticking with a never-was of a coach for far too long. He's certainly guilty of that. But he did all he could to strengthen and support Garrett. There just isn't enough anyone can do to overcome that many shortcomings.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was the story of how we rolled in the first 3 games, and then got rolled against NO and Minn. We had flipped our throw percentage on 1st downs in the first 3 games to 70% pass, I believe. Then against NO and later Minn., we'd just doggedly run Zeke up the middle on first down in series after series.

Having said that, while we screwed ourselves running, his "successful play" metric leaves a lot to be desired. Likely more important is how many times you screw yourself with a really bad down and distance. That's probably a lot less for run instead of pass.

What he should be looking at is the distribution of down and distance on 2nd down by play type on 1st down.

Does he think that the league has never looked at these numbers? When an entire league of professionals are doing the same thing, you shouldn't be that confident that you know the numbers better than they do.

Given who this team had at head coach, nobody can assume that they were doing it the right way. Remember the last name of the guy in charge of pro scouting? Yeah....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Linehan Gone...Garrett Gone....who's your next patsy to avoid the reality of the situation?????

glimmerman

Reaction score
JG simply isn’t cut out to be a HC. He can’t HC in the playoffs. Had plenty of chances and got out coached a lot. Maybe if he had really good coordinators around him. He hit his ceiling 5 or 6 years ago. But he has no game time adjustments and is stuck in the 90’s. Likely fun to talk to and maybe a real kool dude.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No worries. Though, to be fair loving him and recognizing that he was terribly unappreciated by most fans here aren’t the same things. Also, I said before the season started last year that he shouldn’t be extended if he couldn’t get a good team to the post season in a contract year, so I’m. It exactly lamenting him being gone. I’m just still defending against the stupid variety of irrational criticism he gets too much of.

Its been proven and keeps being proven over and over again that he was NOT underappreciated by most. Most nailed him.

IT was posters like you that over appreciated when the guy was simply out of his league.

WHAT WE were doing was putting the record straight for the "stupid variety of irrational support" for the horrid Garrett.

At the end of the day, guys like us were proven right and you were proven dead wrong.

A mistake you now have to live with on your reputation. As you can see getting called out weekly on here about it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Given who this team had at head coach, nobody can assume that they were doing it the right way. Remember the last name of the guy in charge of pro scouting? Yeah....
I think the first 3 games JG let Moore do his thing and when the games got serious and against good teams JG made Moore change back to the Linehan - JG game calling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the first 3 games JG let Moore do his thing and when the games got serious and against good teams JG made Moore change back to the Linehan - JG game calling.

There was definitely a difference in the playcalling at home and on the road, and against better and worse defense. And it mirrored the fear and timidness of the head coach.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS GARRETT SUCKS
Very underrated comment

fivetwos

Reaction score
I blame Garrett too.

Then I realize he didnt hire himself.

Or even worse, refuse to fire himself several deserving times.