In Conclusion, I Blame Garrett

Blake

Reaction score
It's easier to blame Garrett. We can find a way to convince ourselves that there is going to be real change and the Cowboys now have a better chance for a Super Bowl. Far better than when Garrett was the Head Coach...... And when Wade Philips was the HC..... and when Parcells was here.... Campo..... Gailey.......

Garrett wasn't the problem. He was one of the more painful symptoms of the real problem..... And you know this.

You also know that nothing can be done about the real problem....except hope to outlive it.

The real power behind the football operations is the same one responsible for 25 years of mediocrity, failure and irrelevence.

The GM. The part time GM who tells us that this season should be better, he's done all he could.... for a part time GM with 0 credentials other than climb on the back of Jimmy Johnson and attempt to rewrite history based on the outrageous belief that an oil man can walk in and be the architect of one of the greatest dynasties that could have been were it not for that outrageous belief.

Do you know that Jerry Jones never formally announced his decision to make himself GM? He just put the sign on his door. It was noticed later and I remember someone asking him in 1990 who the GM was and I swear his answer was that the team had two GM's.

He knew that if he admitted that he grabbed the title for himself he would have been utterly destroyed by the sports media, the fans, and Jimmy himself.

So the top ranked ticket seller is the same guy that tells us that everything is good each season because he was there to make the important decisions.

He is also there to make the important decisions at each level including coaches and their roles with this franchise. They are not there to build a team, create a plan, instill a culture, foster accountibiliy, be the unmistakable authority. Their job is to coach and follow the instructions of a part time GM who is busy making everybody else's decisions.

The coaches are slowly castrated by Jerry who overrules them when it comes to player issues. He will contradict the authority of his coaches and that is why every Cowboy HC ultimately loses the respect of the team.

The problem was never any coach. It was never any quarterback. Judging by some of Stephens statements recently, the problem will persist afterJerry, it won't go away in my lifetime.

So why don't I just walk? Perhaps you can run, I've been a fan for almost fifty years, the first 25 were at the same glorious level of Brady and the Patriots. It's too late for me, I wouldn't know how to leave.

It's always the old timers on this board that are like "Yeah...but Jerry blah blah blah blah blah...". Like we get it dude, you were here before that Arkansas idiot bought the team, but Garret still sucked mmmk?

glimmerman

Reaction score
There was definitely a difference in the playcalling at home and on the road, and against better and worse defense. And it mirrored the fear and timidness of the head coach.
I often wonder if the dolphins game didn’t have something to do with it. Dak admitted that they got a little greedy and carried away with the plays in that game. They obviously won the game but maybe were careless in the first half and JG made him tone it down and call conservative against the saints and better teams. Our first 3 games had excitement and motion before the snap and it went dull and boring after that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I often wonder if the dolphins game didn’t have something to do with it. Dak admitted that they got a little greedy and carried away with the plays in that game. They obviously won the game but maybe were careless in the first half and JG made him tone it down and call conservative against the saints and better teams. Our first 3 games had excitement and motion before the snap and it went dull and boring after that.

I saw two things at play:
  1. Conservatism
  2. Fear
Both traits regularly exhibited by that never-was head coach. Those first few games featured creativity and risk-taking that Garrett could only dream of having.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's always the old timers on this board that are like "Yeah...but Jerry blah blah blah blah blah...". Like we get it dude, you were here before that Arkansas idiot bought the team, but Garret still sucked mmmk?

:hammer:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I saw two things at play:
  1. Conservatism
  2. Fear
Both traits regularly exhibited by that never-was head coach. Those first few games featured creativity and risk-taking that Garrett could only dream of having.
The thing was that it was working. Yes it was against lesser teams but if you don’t try it then you don’t know. Of course you can’t be as risky against better teams and especially if you are more even on the score board but the plays were working and the creativity was causing confusion on opposing teams. It would have given us a better chance to win. O well JG is gone now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree with the general premise of running less however these stats seem highly misleading.

Two unsuccessful runs might count the same as two unsuccessful passes applying these stats but give me 3rd and 4 over 3rd and 10 any day.
you have to mix it up and keep the defense on its toes. the worst thing you can do is be predictable on offense and offensive scheme and play calling. then the defense will play the odds and chances of success is higher for defense. these teams weren't the 90's cowboys where they would line up, the other team knew what was coming but still couldn't stop it....that same attitude and thought process was brought in by garrett…."do your job" and "beat your man".....;NFL has evolved and his ideas didn't. on paper it worked, but in reality it didn't. you have to disguise what you do all the time. it was no wonder in 2019, when moore called plays, and brought his ideas we had the top offense in the league. and that was with a first year OC, who got schooled in a few games and overruled by garrett many times.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing was that it was working. Yes it was against lesser teams but if you don’t try it then you don’t know. Of course you can’t be as risky against better teams and especially if you are more even on the score board but the plays were working and the creativity was causing confusion on opposing teams. It would have given us a better chance to win.

You can't succeed if you don't try. And on the road and against better defenses, we didn't, because the head coach was afraid.

O well JG is gone now.

Yes, and we can continue to celebrate that.
:thumbup:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I blame Jerry. It’s not Garrett’s fault he couldn’t get the job done; I’m sure he tried his best. But Jerry should have recognized long ago that Jason just wasn’t the guy.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Only @Idgit and @Ranching love Garrett and lament him being gone...

Sorry Idgit...
Some say @Dre11 is in that crowd also.

Me personally, I blame Garrett for hiring Marinelli then giving him free reign over the defense. If our defense was better we could have had at least one Superbowl during the Garrett era. Because the offense was doing its job for the most part.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wonder how much of MM's WC offense will be included in this years plans due to the current state of affairs, assuming they play at all. Maybe he lets Moore run the show without the garrett hindrance and see what he can do. I understand the quality of opponent went up after the 3-0 start last year, but regardless of opponent it looked like a completely different scheme, the presnap motion that dominated the first 3 games went away, the early down passing decreased. It sure looked like JG decided to step in, before the team lost all resemblance of his dinosaur offense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's easier to blame Garrett. We can find a way to convince ourselves that there is going to be real change and the Cowboys now have a better chance for a Super Bowl. Far better than when Garrett was the Head Coach...... And when Wade Philips was the HC..... and when Parcells was here.... Campo..... Gailey.......

Garrett wasn't the problem. He was one of the more painful symptoms of the real problem..... And you know this.

You also know that nothing can be done about the real problem....except hope to outlive it.

The real power behind the football operations is the same one responsible for 25 years of mediocrity, failure and irrelevence.

The GM. The part time GM who tells us that this season should be better, he's done all he could.... for a part time GM with 0 credentials other than climb on the back of Jimmy Johnson and attempt to rewrite history based on the outrageous belief that an oil man can walk in and be the architect of one of the greatest dynasties that could have been were it not for that outrageous belief.

Do you know that Jerry Jones never formally announced his decision to make himself GM? He just put the sign on his door. It was noticed later and I remember someone asking him in 1990 who the GM was and I swear his answer was that the team had two GM's.

He knew that if he admitted that he grabbed the title for himself he would have been utterly destroyed by the sports media, the fans, and Jimmy himself.

So the top ranked ticket seller is the same guy that tells us that everything is good each season because he was there to make the important decisions.

He is also there to make the important decisions at each level including coaches and their roles with this franchise. They are not there to build a team, create a plan, instill a culture, foster accountibiliy, be the unmistakable authority. Their job is to coach and follow the instructions of a part time GM who is busy making everybody else's decisions.

The coaches are slowly castrated by Jerry who overrules them when it comes to player issues. He will contradict the authority of his coaches and that is why every Cowboy HC ultimately loses the respect of the team.

The problem was never any coach. It was never any quarterback. Judging by some of Stephens statements recently, the problem will persist afterJerry, it won't go away in my lifetime.

So why don't I just walk? Perhaps you can run, I've been a fan for almost fifty years, the first 25 were at the same glorious level of Brady and the Patriots. It's too late for me, I wouldn't know how to leave.
If this were a little less true, it wouldnt be so depressing.

One of the best posts I've read anywhere. Well done.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There was definitely a difference in the playcalling at home and on the road, and against better and worse defense. And it mirrored the fear and timidness of the head coach.
Its amazing how much the sad truth stings.

I'm not sure what bugs me more...this or when someone like Sam Darnold says "we knew what they were going to do....", then Garrett's reaction is "we have to execute better."

Completely maddening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure what bugs me more...this or when someone like Sam Darnold says "we knew what they were going to do....", then Garrett's reaction is "we have to execute better."

Completely maddening.

I look to the future to feel better. And the fact that the team now, finally, at long last, after 10 wasted years, has competent NFL caliber coaching.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its been proven and keeps being proven over and over again that he was NOT underappreciated by most. Most nailed him.

IT was posters like you that over appreciated when the guy was simply out of his league.

WHAT WE were doing was putting the record straight for the "stupid variety of irrational support" for the horrid Garrett.

At the end of the day, guys like us were proven right and you were proven dead wrong.

A mistake you now have to live with on your reputation. As you can see getting called out weekly on here about it.

None of this is true, although I know you want so much to believe it is.

I don’t mind being called out. I just look at the quality of thought that goes into the callout post. If it’s a good poster I engage their argument. If it’s one of your posts or a post from another poster I can imagine typing with those big clown hands on, I generally just knock of a quick, condescending reply or I ignore it entirely.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You can't succeed if you don't try. And on the road and against better defenses, we didn't, because the head coach was afraid.

Yes, and we can continue to celebrate that.
:thumbup:
That’s right. What I wanted to see was sprinkle in both. Use the new creative ways and sprinkle in some base stuff. Use the base stuff and sprinkle in some creative stuff. Use the different formations or run different plays out of the same formation. This is what Moore was supposed to do and he started to but in the end got handcuffed. I hope MM let’s him be him...

glimmerman

Reaction score

Completely maddening.
The Jets actually played us very well. But your right. We missed to many plays not just during that game. The players gave up on JG this past year. Not as obvious as when it happened wade, but they were done with JG.