In Conclusion, I Blame Garrett

plasticman

Reaction score
False. Did not quote your whole entire post. We get it, Jerry and his cronies are the biggest problem. But to let Jason slide and just chalk it up to Jerry? Screw that. Garrett was god awful and lost so many games because of blunders he caused. Chalk up games he lost us vs games he won us and it isn't even close. Sturm wrote an article and went through how many games he gave up just in his first 18 games and then 3 seasons total. It was ridiculous. He's god awful.

Garrett being terrible and Jerry being terrible are separate. Jason does not get to slide on how bad he was. The players did not respect him at all and saw him as a fraud.
Half my post described exactly how Jerry prevented Garrett from performing many of the critical duties of a Head Coach and how it led to the player's loss of respect.

When Garrett first became Head Coach he described his plan for success and overall philosophy in discipline and acquiring talent. He described his emphasis on competition and prepararion. Garrett's plan was routinely undermined by decisions that he should have been the one to make as the Head Coach. Tom Landry has a quote that explains the importance of sticking to a plan with everybody aligned to that plan. A plan that is followed only 75% of the time will fail.

I explained how players that are being disciplined in this franchise by their HC can go around him and talk to Jerry and get a decision overturned.

I'm not saying we should have kept Garrett, I have my criticisms of him as well and, besides, once your authority has been undermined, you really can't turn it around.

Jason was not bad or awful or any of the other exagerated expressions. It's difficult to get into a meaningful conversation when opinions are so dramatic, so over the edge. so emotionally charged. Jason was unsuccessful, that's what he was. .

An 85-67 record is not "god awful", 9 full seasons with only one losing season is not "bad". Garrett did not "suck" if he is compared to other HC careers. True, it wasn't good enough but it wasn't anywhere near as catastrophic as many are making it out to be. The New York Giants are not run by fools. Jason Garrett, they understand the circumstances as most teams do. Jason Garrett was going to have a job, everyone notice, he got another job quick.

Jason Garrett's career as a HC began with a rebuilding process under cap-hell. It began with three 8-8 seasons during this rebuilding process. He finally got the team built with real results but then nosedived the following season when Romo went down and the decision was made to let the RB with the record yardage for a single season walk and give the job to an habitual felon who wouldn't even pay for his underwear. And regadless of how Murray did on a different team that ran the ball by committee, there was no doubt what he did on a team he knew and practiced with for four seasons was pretty special. To this day he has the highest career yards per carry for the Cowboy franchise.

Jason Garrett is an ex Cowboy, he doesn't deserve to be hated or despised. I have no doubt that he gave his best effort.

Having said that, I could have qualified the statement better. Garrett's coaching wasn't the primary issue, I agree that he did cost the team a few games. However, his lack of success in getting to a championship game ran far shorter than Jerry Jones's.......but we all notice who got to keep his job

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao::lmao:

that U turn will take some impressive revisionist history from the most vociferous and blind Garrett apologist on CZ

:muttley:

You should find a great example of how I’ve revised things and really nail me.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's always the old timers on this board that are like "Yeah...but Jerry blah blah blah blah blah...". Like we get it dude, you were here before that Arkansas idiot bought the team, but Garret still sucked mmmk?
Young.....old.....threads are worth reading when the posters put effort into them by providing context, verifiable sources of information, as well as some degree of thought. I don't beleive that the term "blah blah blah' qualifies as any degree of thought and I really don't understand how my age is an issue.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Half my post described exactly how Jerry prevented Garrett from performing many of the critical duties of a Head Coach and how it led to the player's loss of respect.

When Garrett first became Head Coach he described his plan for success and overall philosophy in discipline and acquiring talent. He described his emphasis on competition and prepararion. Garrett's plan was routinely undermined by decisions that he should have been the one to make as the Head Coach. Tom Landry has a quote that explains the importance of sticking to a plan with everybody aligned to that plan. A plan that is followed only 75% of the time will fail.

I explained how players that are being disciplined in this franchise by their HC can go around him and talk to Jerry and get a decision overturned.

I'm not saying we should have kept Garrett, I have my criticisms of him as well and, besides, once your authority has been undermined, you really can't turn it around.

Jason was not bad or awful or any of the other exagerated expressions. It's difficult to get into a meaningful conversation when opinions are so dramatic, so over the edge. so emotionally charged. Jason was unsuccessful, that's what he was. .

An 85-67 record is not "god awful", 9 full seasons with only one losing season is not "bad". Garrett did not "suck" if he is compared to other HC careers. True, it wasn't good enough but it wasn't anywhere near as catastrophic as many are making it out to be. The New York Giants are not run by fools. Jason Garrett, they understand the circumstances as most teams do. Jason Garrett was going to have a job, everyone notice, he got another job quick.

Jason Garrett's career as a HC began with a rebuilding process under cap-hell. It began with three 8-8 seasons during this rebuilding process. He finally got the team built with real results but then nosedived the following season when Romo went down and the decision was made to let the RB with the record yardage for a single season walk and give the job to an habitual felon who wouldn't even pay for his underwear. And regadless of how Murray did on a different team that ran the ball by committee, there was no doubt what he did on a team he knew and practiced with for four seasons was pretty special. To this day he has the highest career yards per carry for the Cowboy franchise.

Jason Garrett is an ex Cowboy, he doesn't deserve to be hated or despised. I have no doubt that he gave his best effort.

Having said that, I could have qualified the statement better. Garrett's coaching wasn't the primary issue, I agree that he did cost the team a few games. However, his lack of success in getting to a championship game ran far shorter than Jerry Jones's.......but we all notice who got to keep his job

This is a great post, dude.

visionary

Reaction score

:laugh:

You should change your name to Rubberman from Plasticman. It’ll make these contortions your have to do a little easier

:facepalm:

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It was a joke title about something serious. I really should have learned my lesson from the last time I did that. :(
I'll be more careful in the future.

It doesn't matter what you call a thread about Garrett, it's why start any threads about Garrett now. He's go and has nothing to do with the Cowboys now, so why?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We ended up at around 23% PA for the season (ranking us around 12th most in the league).

I can't find the stats per game, but it would be interesting to see and compare the thew W/L recrod.

Maybe @percyhoward has the per game stats?
Wish I did, but a PFF subscription is a luxury these days.

I remember talking about this during the season, and it seems like those PA%'s were driven by game situation. When you're playing catch up, the opposing defense isn't playing the run anyway, so you don't have any incentive to try to fool them with play action. In the first three games, we only had a total of 18 offensive snaps while trailing. In the next three games, it was 172!

Eanwen

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you call a thread about Garrett, it's why start any threads about Garrett now. He's go and has nothing to do with the Cowboys now, so why?

:rolleyes:

The only time I mentioned Garrett was in the title.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Wish I did, but a PFF subscription is a luxury these days.

I remember talking about this during the season, and it seems like those PA%'s were driven by game situation. When you're playing catch up, the opposing defense isn't playing the run anyway, so you don't have any incentive to try to fool them with play action. In the first three games, we only had a total of 18 offensive snaps while trailing. In the next three games, it was 172!

Thanks.

Interestingly, I've seen statistics that PA works regardless of run game success.

Basically, when you're trailing, play-action does appear have a lower success rate, but so does passing in general. And play-action is still better than non-PA across the board.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett sucked and had no business here. And he was here for what felt like eternity. fans aren't gonna forget or let that go!!

Nor should they. If they want to post a daily 'Garrett Sucks Thread' they should have that right.

It just bothers those that got it completely wrong so they don;t like looking at it and want to try to control the narrative.

Ain't happening!

johneric8

Reaction score
I blame Garrett too.

Then I realize he didnt hire himself.

Or even worse, refuse to fire himself several deserving times.

Yes, jerry is to blame ultimately, but even with that being so, Garrett's performance still can be evaluated, and he SUCKED! :muttley:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes, jerry is to blame ultimately, but even with that being so, Garrett's performance still can be evaluated, and he SUCKED! :muttley:
Cant argue that in any kind of way.

Even if you're a personal friend of Garrett, you cant make the case he was any good when he had a full decade and didnt as much as reach a conference championship.

Had a bad habit of coming up small in big spots.

johneric8

Reaction score
Cant argue that in any kind of way.

Even if you're a personal friend of Garrett, you cant make the case he was any good when he had a full decade and didnt as much as reach a conference championship.

Had a bad habit of coming up small in big spots.

Yes true.. Lets be candid, Jerry loved the Garrett family and thought extremely high of Jason and believed he would become a very good coach. We need to also remember that Garrett did bring with him his process which did some positive things, one being it brought a more focused side out of the players even though it didn't translate on the field due to his lack of understanding how to scheme in the NFL from week to week... This basically was a huge fail by both Jerry and Jason

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mentioned before in another thread Jeff Cavanaugh and others complaining on twitter live during games about the offensive playcalling. Here's Jeff talking about research based on last year.

Basically the worst thing we did (in terms of getting yards) on first down was run the football. The best thing we did was play action. So obviously there were more runs than play action on first down.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you don't self scout/use analytics (or maybe they did and just chose to ignore that input).

edit: Pretty sure this is what he was referring to:

I blame Jerry. Garrett was trying to do his job well, even though he just wasn't good enough at his job. It was Jerry's job to recognize that and make a change before he did.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
JG simply isn’t cut out to be a HC. He can’t HC in the playoffs. Had plenty of chances and got out coached a lot. Maybe if he had really good coordinators around him. He hit his ceiling 5 or 6 years ago. But he has no game time adjustments and is stuck in the 90’s. Likely fun to talk to and maybe a real kool dude.

The problem with Garrett as HC on gameday is that he's bad at precisely what the HC needs to be good at - game management. Taking offense, defense, the clock, and the score into account.

He can call plays ok. If football were the long run average of scores per drive, with no time limit, he'd do fine. But he fails at making decisions not for the long term, but for the time-constrained context of *this* game *now*.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The problem with Garrett as HC on gameday is that he's bad at precisely what the HC needs to be good at - game management. Taking offense, defense, the clock, and the score into account.

He can call plays ok. If football were the long run average of scores per drive, with no time limit, he'd do fine. But he fails at making decisions not for the long term, but for the time-constrained context of *this* game *now*.
And being conservative when he needed to be aggressive and believing in his players. Only after JJ said something about not going for it at a pivotal point in a game on 4th down and it pretty much costing us the game did he start going for it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And being conservative when he needed to be aggressive and believing in his players. Only after JJ said something about not going for it at a pivotal point in a game on 4th down and it pretty much costing us the game did he start going for it.

Despite spending the majority of picks and money on the offense, Garrett would always tend to put the burden on the defense to stop opposing teams instead of the offense to keep the ball out of the opponent's hands.

It was all about blame. He's associated more with the offense than defense, so put the defense in position to take the fall.