Twitter: Injury updates - A. Woods to return to practice

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesn't fix everything, but he is our one true noseplug, able to dig in against double-teams and not just be rooted out. That makes it tougher for an OL to slip off the initial double-team with him and go to the second level to engage a linebacker.

Covington is better at transitioning to pass defense if teams don't throw on first down, but Woods is better at holding his ground, making it tougher to run up the middle.

Covington played 69% of the snaps which is too much. It would be too much even if the true starter (Woods) was playing.

The best part of adding Covington was that he is a legit rotational backup 1-tech that they didn't have last year. Unfortunately Covington has been forced to start and play a higher percentage of snaps.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Ideally, you'd have someone in that position who's a beast against the run but also can get after the passer if teams don't run in running situations. Woods is one-dimensional, but it was a dimension we were missing against Green Bay.

I can't say, though, that I know how much of a difference he would have made, just that he's better as a run stopper than any of our other interior DL.

From what I've seen it's a push between him and Covington. They are both good back ups but not special #1's.

Brooksey

Reaction score
A. Woods brings nothing to the table if they want to run inside. He's usually handled one on one and I can't recall him busting through a double team to tackle a RB for a loss or short gain etc

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A. Woods brings nothing to the table if they want to run inside. He's usually handled one on one and I can't recall him busting through a double team to tackle a RB for a loss or short gain etc

If you are expecting him to bust through double-teams to tackle a RB for a loss or short gain, your expectations are wrong. The job of the 1-tech is to be a blocker magnet. What teams try to do is quickly double the 1-tech, get him pushed aside and have a lineman peel off to take out a linebacker. The job of the 1-tech is to be an unmovable object, forcing the line to stick with him longer, which allows the linebacker to flow to the play. If the linebackers are making plays against the run in the backfield, the 1-tech is doing his job. If he's not, that's usually when we see fans complaining about how bad the linebackers are playing.

Brooksey

Reaction score
If you are expecting him to bust through double-teams to tackle a RB for a loss or short gain, your expectations are wrong. The job of the 1-tech is to be a blocker magnet. What teams try to do is quickly double the 1-tech, get him pushed aside and have a lineman peel off to take out a linebacker. The job of the 1-tech is to be an unmovable object, forcing the line to stick with him longer, which allows the linebacker to flow to the play. If the linebackers are making plays against the run in the backfield, the 1-tech is doing his job. If he's not, that's usually when we see fans complaining about how bad the linebackers are playing.

I know what the job of the 1 tech is buddy don't worry. My point was A woods is not very good against the inside run, Imo. If you like him good for you and btw he's not a very good space eater either.