Inside the numbers- defensive futility

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I was looking at some of the numbers from this yr, then compared them to last year.

So far in 4 games this yr, as a TEAM we have 6 tackles for loss, 12 passes defensed 2 forced fumbles and 12 sacks. As has been mentioned, we have ZERO interceptions.

We're an attacking style defense (at least thats what we're told) so having an average of 1.5 TFL's and 3 PD's each week is pretty weak.

Last yr as a TEAM we had 77 tackles for loss, 84 passes defensed, 20 forced fumbles, 46 sacks, and 19 interceptions. That means our AVERAGE game we had almost 5 TFL's and just over 5 PD's. Thats pretty good.

In regards to interceptions, we had 9 picks in the first 4 games last yr. In the 17 games since (counting the playoff loss) we have a total of only 10.

Looking at some individual players. Ken Hamlin has no interceptions, no passes defensed, no forced fumbles and no sacks. Terence Newman has been credited with no PD's. Only one player (Ratliff with 2) has more than one TFL. No Dallas player who plays safety has credit for a pass defensed or TFL. Niether starting ILB has credit for a tackle for loss.

It's really a disgrace. While some of this can be credited to some guys playing hurt, missing games or not playing up to expectations, the vast majority of the blame has to fall on Wade Phillips and Brian Stewart. There really isnt any excuse for them to be taking this kind of major step backwards from last yr, when guys were putting up better results despite playing in this defense for the first time and having to learn on the fly. Then factor in significant upgrades at talent at CB and ILB, and it just makes zero sense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bashing our D seems to be a common theme the last couple of days. But your research really brings to light our defensive struggles this year. Todays game will really be interesting to see if we can finally start to play like we are capable of.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Some of the results seem to point to the obvious to me, that its time to move Henry to FS permanently. Roy Williams is out, and his backup is also out (after playing poorly). The combined results of the safeties are terrible (no passes defensed, no ints) despite playing in mostly zone coverage, where they should be able to roam and make plays.

The decision to start Keith Davis, who is absolutely atrocious in pass defense makes no sense to me. You cant possibly convince me that having Davis or Courtney Brown on the field instead of having Henry at FS and Mike Jenkins (or Adams Jones) at CB is a better option.

Henry has good ball skills and while he doesnt have elite speed, he would have better range and playmaking ability than anyone else we have at safety.

Stupid freaking coaching again.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2307731 said:
Bashing our D seems to be a common theme the last couple of days. But your research really brings to light our defensive struggles this year. Todays game will really be interesting to see if we can finally start to play like we are capable of.

At some point BDC someone(s) needs to have their feet held to fire when it comes to this defense.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2307763 said:
At some point BDC someone(s) needs to have their feet held to fire when it comes to this defense.
Judging from his reaction last week, I'd say Jones is stoking the fireplace.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2307761 said:
However, we're leading the league in Almost Sacks.

:D

2 of our 4 games have been against strong mobile QBs. Campbell and McNabb are tough. Rodgers and Anderson however were sitting ducks.

We've played 4 solid QBs, and today will be no different. Palmers only problem is that he is a pocket passer, and our guys do a great job against guys that give them a spot to rush to.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Did we do a comparison of teams played last year, first 4 games last year vs this year? Like someone said, they are stats and then they are l....

You know, the first four games last year were:
1) Giants
2) Miami
3) Chicago ( with Grossman)
4) St. Lious ( even worse than this year).

This year, so far, only bad team Cowboys reall played is Browns.

So we don't know yet, if it is product of defense playing bad or Cowboys playing really good schedule at the beggining of the year. And also consider, all the four teams, considered to have pretty good OLs.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
dbair1967;2307738 said:
Some of the results seem to point to the obvious to me, that its time to move Henry to FS permanently. Roy Williams is out, and his backup is also out (after playing poorly). The combined results of the safeties are terrible (no passes defensed, no ints) despite playing in mostly zone coverage, where they should be able to roam and make plays.

The decision to start Keith Davis, who is absolutely atrocious in pass defense makes no sense to me. You cant possibly convince me that having Davis or Courtney Brown on the field instead of having Henry at FS and Mike Jenkins (or Adams Jones) at CB is a better option.

Henry has good ball skills and while he doesnt have elite speed, he would have better range and playmaking ability than anyone else we have at safety.

Yeah, that song has been sung for past 6-7 years now. At some point, it has to be players. But go ahead start the GROS movement now.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
And the strength of schedule of last year compared to this one?

Or maybe more accurately, the first four QBs we played last year vs. this one?

We haven't played any awful teams yet. But like everyone else, we will.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The solution is simple: Stop playing soft zone and let Newman, Jones, Jenkins and Henry play bump and run aggressive man. The reason we don't have many INTs or passes defensed lately is because receivers are catching 5 yard slants with no one on them.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2307789 said:
Yeah, that song has been sung for past 6-7 years now. At some point, it has to be players. But go ahead start the GROS movement now.

The thing is we keep adding more talented players though RC...you cant expect me to believe that Jacque Reeves and Nate Jones are better for the defense than Adam Jones and Mike Jenkins, or that Zach Thomas is not an upgrade over Akin Ayodele

while some of your other thread has some premise (that the schedule has been tough) nobody knows for sure yet. The Commanders looked horrible against the NYG and barely beat Arizona and New Orleans at home, yet their offense looked like a machine against us on our homefield. Green Bay played bad against us, played bad vs Tampa actually blew a huge lead against Detroit, trailed in the game and got some gift turnovers to pull away late. How good are they?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2307792 said:
The solution is simple: Stop playing soft zone and let Newman, Jones, Jenkins and Henry play bump and run aggressive man. The reason we don't have many INTs or passes defensed lately is because receivers are catching 5 yard slants with no one on them.

Its also one of the reasons we arnt getting more sacks. WR's are always getting clean releases into the secondary, and QB's easily find openings without having to come off reads or pull the ball back down.

And whatever zone coverages we are employing arnt very confusing to opposing QB's, because they never throw the ball into coverage and our DB's arnt making any plays on the ball. Thats two of the main reasons you play zone, and we are failing at both.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2307814 said:
The thing is we keep adding more talented players though RC...you cant expect me to believe that Jacque Reeves and Nate Jones are better for the defense than Adam Jones and Mike Jenkins, or that Zach Thomas is not an upgrade over Akin Ayodele

while some of your other thread has some premise (that the schedule has been tough) nobody knows for sure yet. The Commanders looked horrible against the NYG and barely beat Arizona and New Orleans at home, yet their offense looked like a machine against us on our homefield. Green Bay played bad against us, played bad vs Tampa actually blew a huge lead against Detroit, trailed in the game and got some gift turnovers to pull away late. How good are they?

Exactly... We have been playing bend-don't-break for years... Even with Wade. He is just taking a different approach with respect to how he plays the secondary. Other than that, it is the same old story. Our offense can match any big play by an opposing team, so why the hell do we play so scared?

Our offensive philosophy and our defensive philosophy are like a 180 degree difference in approach. No wonder this team can never pull together a complete game.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2307790 said:
And the strength of schedule of last year compared to this one?

Or maybe more accurately, the first four QBs we played last year vs. this one?

We haven't played any awful teams yet. But like everyone else, we will.

Cleveland isnt awful? Are you serious?

and how good is Green Bay? They beat a 1 win Minnesota team at home (barely) and then got off to a big lead, gave it up and needed a couple of gift ints to pull away late vs atrocious Detroit. Did you watch Green Bay last week? They were horrible at Tampa.

Washington looked far better vs us (in our stadium) than they had in any of their previous three games.

odog422

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2307774 said:
We've played 4 solid QBs, and today will be no different. Palmers only problem is that he is a pocket passer, and our guys do a great job against guys that give them a spot to rush to.

Based on what I've seen, I don't know that this is such a given.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2307821 said:
Its also one of the reasons we arnt getting more sacks. WR's are always getting clean releases into the secondary, and QB's easily find openings without having to come off reads or pull the ball back down.

And whatever zone coverages we are employing arnt very confusing to opposing QB's, because they never throw the ball into coverage and our DB's arnt making any plays on the ball. Thats two of the main reasons you play zone, and we are failing at both.

We are confusing our own secondary more-so than the other teams QBs. A case in point is the busted coverage on Moss, across the field. Henry left Moss for the zone, but nobody was there. Zach was like 10 yards in front of Moss and had no idea he was going across the field... Henry was pointing for somebody to get him, but nobody was there...

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2307828 said:
Washington looked far better vs us (in our stadium) than they had in any of their previous three games.

They did the same thing last year, with Campbell moving the ball against us. Campbell was moving the ball on the last drive, but he forced the ball resulting in an INT by Newman. We allowed the same clock-killing drives by giving away the underneath. Campbell didn't make any mistakes this year, and we lost. Campbell is learning, but Wade obviously isn't...

It was our fault because we never try and force to issue and dictate.... But we surely try and dictate on offense.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
dbair1967;2307738 said:

i agree

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
khiladi;2307832 said:
We are confusing our own secondary more-so than the other teams QBs. A case in point is the busted coverage on Moss, across the field. Henry left Moss for the zone, but nobody was there. Zach was like 10 yards in front of Moss and had no idea he was going across the field... Henry was pointing for somebody to get him, but nobody was there...

what is more frustrating is that wade told us all week long they would double moss as much as they could yet i never saw it once. if you can't game plan to take away the other team's only deep threat, you need to find another line of work. i cannot believe wade is trumpeted as a defensive genius with this scheme.