Instead of worrying about paying our QB his enormous monies

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What this FO lacks is a plan like Belichick has been following for years. He allocates to positions based on the importance to his needs and that can change as the league began to morph into passball, he changed some of his D allocation around to put more on the secondary. When he traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, he knew they were going to break his limit at that position. He's been doing this for a long time going back to Deion Branch in 06. He didn't even try and tag Trey Flowers because that was over the limit, just let him walk. He still had the top ranked D.

He knows there has to be a plan and the discipline to follow it, not loving any players including his QB that he would have traded if he hadn't taken the deal for 15M. His plan is dynamic and he's constantly looking it over and evaluating. He knew going into the last season the areas of concern for him this season.

Is this speculation on my part? Of course it is but why is he always ahead of the game and he's the only one. Do you think he would get himself where the Rams are now and the Cowboys getting close to? If you don't fit into his plan, he doesn't even deal with you, off you go. He didn't even attempt to negotiate with a DE as good as Lawrence.

He is really the only one that I am pretty sure does it this way, others do not have the discipline and weren't we all scratching our heads at those above trades when he pulled them. OK, he's finally screwed the pooch, only then he ends up back in the AFCCG or SB.

It's a chess master playing against a bunch of checkers players because he's a strategy player and plans on being relevant every season. Just watch that Niners D start to come apart when the bills come due.

I am not suggesting they could be as good as he is because they lack the discipline, they like their guys. But they've already made mistakes that are going to have to be overcome with some damned fine drafting and they haven't done that in 3 years.
Well thought thru.

I believe McCarthy has a little of Bellicheat in him as far as his personal decisions are concerned.

He is not finished trimming this roster for sure. But I have to assume he is in on and agrees with the FO and signing Dak and Amari and whatever plans are in place for the roster prior to his arrival.

It will be entertaining if nothing else to watch.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
we need to set some bottom lines as to how we can be fair doing player contracts.

I think generally around the league its felt our roster is less good than touted. I agree after watching in 2018 and 2019. We talk a good talk but struggle at delivering the goods.

How can we change this?

The constant failures to advance in the playoffs much less the failures to even get there are clear warning signs we all have to watch.

While some want to applaud the 2 playoff appearances with Dak in 4 years as being reason to sign him to a new deal..

you also have to include 2 seasons under Dak that we completely missed the playoffs.

Glass half full for some, half empty for others.

So before leaps of faith are made, we need to clearly define what we will accept as being acceptable from Dak if he is Tagged.

As they did with Garrett, last season his contract was not being renewed unless the team advanced deep into the playoffs.

It was easy to understand for all parties going forward.

The team failed, the coach failed and the coach was released.

Why is the team not taking the same approach with its QB?

Why are we not saying to Dak..

"Dak, we like you and want to go forward with you as our guy..

but decisions of this magnitude have to help both sides. In considering your career records with this team so far..

for whatever the reason, you have not won many playoff games to date.

In order to pay $40 mil/yr next year and sign a 5 year deal to those numbers, you need to at least get the team to the NFC Championship in 2020.

You will receive the Exclusive Tag for that today for $32 mil/yr and if you achieve the NFC Championship in 2020..

you will receive the following year 2021 a 5 year deal for $40 mil/yr for 5 years.

Everything and more for meeting the minimum requirements of this contract. We could even include an opt-out clause after the 3rd year by either party if the parties agree to end the contract for any reason.

These guidelines would clearly define what is on the line based on reasonable expectations.

It would end the drama on these negotiations, if successful Dak bets on his ability to earn the contract, the team rewards Dak for performance, the team protects its financial numbers from spiralling when other QBs sign therir deals for more than Dak receives under this contract.

And there should be clauses in the agreement that allows the team to use his contract as a way to extend his contract as needed to free up cap to sign other players as needed.

It removes emotion from the equation and coin flips to decide it is relegated to kickoffs only.

Amari should get similar terms for his money.

This to me is fair to all parties and would work.

Just send my consulting fee invoice monies to:

Redball Express Consulting
San Antonio,Texas
Somewhere on the internet, USA.

Comments welcome.

:laugh:
I think you worry too much about things out of your control. You do not pay the players or have the responsibility to manage the salary cap so stop talking as if you do.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think the plan is the problem. The problem has been execution specifically drafting on defense particularly on the line.
Drafting on D is part of the plan dude. So, you're now saying the plan sucks.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If we play hardball we might end up with a bunch of taco's on our team.
Another complete failure.

Drafting him reminded me of when we drafted Tank.

Tank was not a top pick at his position, was suspended and was a shakey choice. Gregory was a similar pick, having been chosen because Tank was not working out early on.

Then you have to analyze the selection of Trystan Hill.

My point is, under Garrett, we have drafted a team of Tacos already. That is not going to happen under McCarthy.

Other things may happen that cause us to fail. But it will not be from a poorly constructed roster.

:huh:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't think the plan is the problem. The problem has been execution specifically drafting on defense particularly on the line.
We are just traditionally an offense minded team.

Been that way since the 60s.

Defense has always played 2nd fiddle in any championships. And it required great defensive coaches to bring it about.

Ernie Stautner, Zimmer, Wannstead and Davis, etc.

And fortuitous trades like Haley and Sanders to move the needle.

We will not reach our goals until we can make things like that happen to this team.

Still waiting.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think you worry too much about things out of your control. You do not pay the players or have the responsibility to manage the salary cap so stop talking as if you do.
You are aiming this at me?

Ridiculous.

Everybody here has an opinion on this team and they voice it.

You are acting like I hit a nerve in your tooth with your post.

If my opinions bother you, just hit the IGNORE button.

Otherwise, we will both say what we think and do as we please within the rules here.

Good day.

:angry:

Flamma

Reaction score
we need to set some bottom lines as to how we can be fair doing player contracts.

I think generally around the league its felt our roster is less good than touted. I agree after watching in 2018 and 2019. We talk a good talk but struggle at delivering the goods.

How can we change this?

The constant failures to advance in the playoffs much less the failures to even get there are clear warning signs we all have to watch.

While some want to applaud the 2 playoff appearances with Dak in 4 years as being reason to sign him to a new deal..

you also have to include 2 seasons under Dak that we completely missed the playoffs.

So before leaps of faith are made, we need to clearly define what we will accept as being acceptable from Dak if he is Tagged.

As they did with Garrett, last season his contract was not being renewed unless the team advanced deep into the playoffs.

but decisions of this magnitude have to help both sides. In considering your career records with this team so far..

In order to pay $40 mil/yr next year and sign a 5 year deal to those numbers, you need to at least get the team to the NFC Championship in 2020.

You will receive the Exclusive Tag for that today for $32 mil/yr and if you achieve the NFC Championship in 2020..

you will receive the following year 2021 a 5 year deal for $40 mil/yr for 5 years.

Everything and more for meeting the minimum requirements of this contract. We could even include an opt-out clause after the 3rd year by either party if the parties agree to end the contract for any reason.

These guidelines would clearly define what is on the line based on reasonable expectations.

It would end the drama on these negotiations, if successful Dak bets on his ability to earn the contract, the team rewards Dak for performance, the team protects its financial numbers from spiralling when other QBs sign therir deals for more than Dak receives under this contract.

And there should be clauses in the agreement that allows the team to use his contract as a way to extend his contract as needed to free up cap to sign other players as needed.

It removes emotion from the equation and coin flips to decide it is relegated to kickoffs only.

San Antonio,Texas

Comments welcome.

That's great, but I think we both know it doesn't work that way. A player is worth, any player, what someone is willing to pay them if you don't. It's up to the GM, or owner to determine if they want the player or not. A player isn't going to care about any arbitrary goals you set if he thinks he'll get more elsewhere

Loso86

Reaction score

How can we change this?

San Antonio,Texas

Comments welcome.

QBs make too much money and take up too mu h of the teams salary cap. They need to set an amount based off of actual on field play and not just how markets are. Some teams have better players than the QB who should be getting paid more especially if they are miming the qb look better than he is. I get the qb is the face in most cases and all that. But these guys are so well protected now it's crazy there making more money and the position and sport is getting softer each year

Batman1980

Reaction score
Better coaching should get better results but this thing about this team being that talented, that's a myth. The O is talented, as it is right now, the D and ST are not.

Having all of these FA's up does do one thing, it makes them make some changes instead of sitting back and waiting for it to happen with the same players expecting them all to improve.

The D is 3 good DEs, 2 good LBs, an aging LB and a bunch of mediocrity. That won't get it done against the better teams, especially with 2 of the good DEs possibly leaving in free agency.

garyo1954

Reaction score
That's great, but I think we both know it doesn't work that way. A player is worth, any player, what someone is willing to pay them if you don't. It's up to the GM, or owner to determine if they want the player or not. A player isn't going to care about any arbitrary goals you set if he thinks he'll get more elsewhere

I'd be on board for capping each position.

"Josh Norman also doesn’t like how much money quarterbacks make. He thinks these two things combine to impact the NFL’s labor market and the growing inequality within it. “I would address the quarterback situation because they get gosh darn too much money,” he said.

“They took the money away from the rookies, which is a good thing, but the teams now are putting it all into the quarterbacks,” Norman said, referencing the 2011 collective bargaining agreement that capped rookie wages. “It’s ridiculous—everyone on defense is on the $12-15 [million per year] level. You see some wide receivers getting into the $18 [million] level, maybe some D-linemen, but golly, the gap is ridiculous—someone is going to get $30 million. Then there will be a $40 million guy. Come on. No one is even close on defense. The next defensive guy will be $19 million.”

He proposed what he described as “essentially a cap” on passer salaries.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14/17687162/josh-norman-commissioner-interview-soccer-quarterbacks-salary-soccer

MyFairLady

Reaction score
LOL newer better younger faster stronger Josh Normans come along every year. He is easily replaced and more easily forgotten. At any one time there are about 20 people on earth that can play QB in the NFL at a reasonably high level. If anything Norman has been overpaid and the good QBs as a whole underpaid.

ESisback

Reaction score
Bottom line for me...

This is about stubborn pride, ego and greed. Rich is rich, whether it’s 28 million per year or 40 million. I’d rather get 28 million (plus countless millions in endorsements as the Cowboy QB),
and play on a consistent contender, than 40 million on a loser full of JAGS.

And don’t feed me that cliched CRAP about market value and “he just wants to get paid”! BS! Joe Shmoe has an evil, greedy, rich boss too! He gets screwed for a tiny FRACTION of the money!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ok.

But I do think when it involves key players and key contracts..

you can and should lay down boundaries of expectations for what each side needs.

As an example of what you are saying..

take for instance what Marinelli tried to do with Trystan Hill. Rod actually supposedly had Hill sign and agree to in writing a personal agreement b/w Hill and Marinelli concerning effort, discipline and expectations.

Hill completely failed in 2019. Was placed in the doghouse over it.

You have to wonder why Rod did that. And you have to wonder if it contributed to his play negatively in anyway.

I wonder. But whatever, the team decided Ron was not needed anymore..or McCarthy decided. Whatever.

We shall see, huh?

Flamma

Reaction score
take for instance what Marinelli tried to do with Trystan Hill. Rod actually supposedly had Hill sign and agree to in writing a personal agreement b/w Hill and Marinelli concerning effort, discipline and expectations.

I guess if you can make them sign an agreement. Something legit. Or else a player is going to go where he thinks he'll make the most money.

I'd be on board for capping each position.

"Josh Norman also doesn’t like how much money quarterbacks make. He thinks these two things combine to impact the NFL’s labor market and the growing inequality within it. “I would address the quarterback situation because they get gosh darn too much money,” he said.

“They took the money away from the rookies, which is a good thing, but the teams now are putting it all into the quarterbacks,” Norman said, referencing the 2011 collective bargaining agreement that capped rookie wages. “It’s ridiculous—everyone on defense is on the $12-15 [million per year] level. You see some wide receivers getting into the $18 [million] level, maybe some D-linemen, but golly, the gap is ridiculous—someone is going to get $30 million. Then there will be a $40 million guy. Come on. No one is even close on defense. The next defensive guy will be $19 million.”

He proposed what he described as “essentially a cap” on passer salaries.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14...r-interview-soccer-quarterbacks-salary-soccer
https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14...r-interview-soccer-quarterbacks-salary-soccer

Even though I can see where Josh is coming from, I can't agree with capping positions. Ask yourself why are they being paid that much? There's a reason. No one is forced to pay them that much. But if they don't, someone else will. That's the only reason they get paid so well.

If I'm an owner there is no way I pay a quarterback that is not elite so called QB market value. Not a chance. Is Cousins that much better than Nick Foles or Bridgewater? I don't think so. But the owners have to stop this on their own, not expect rules to help them. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, those contracts were mistakes. Let these guys go and let someone else make the mistake.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You are aiming this at me?

Ridiculous.

Everybody here has an opinion on this team and they voice it.

You are acting like I hit a nerve in your tooth with your post.

If my opinions bother you, just hit the IGNORE button.

Otherwise, we will both say what we think and do as we please within the rules here.

Good day.

:angry:
Trust me, you don't want me saying what I think or doing as I please. I need rules to keep me out of trouble.

P.S. Have you paid Dak yet?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I guess if you can make them sign an agreement. Something legit. Or else a player is going to go where he thinks he'll make the most money.

Even though I can see where Josh is coming from, I can't agree with capping positions. Ask yourself why are they being paid that much? There's a reason. No one is forced to pay them that much. But if they don't, someone else will. That's the only reason they get paid so well.

If I'm an owner there is no way I pay a quarterback that is not elite so called QB market value. Not a chance. Is Cousins that much better than Nick Foles or Bridgewater? I don't think so. But the owners have to stop this on their own, not expect rules to help them. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, those contracts were mistakes. Let these guys go and let someone else make the mistake.
Absolute 1000% agree.

garyo1954

Reaction score
You mean like..

Where can I hear the latest Ron White appearance..?

Ron is my favorite comedian..just too funny.

I have heard about every piece he has ever performed and I still giggle every time I hear him.

Never loses his relevance to me.

:omg:

Tater salad only worries when they start calling bouncers!

garyo1954

Reaction score
Trust me, you don't want me saying what I think or doing as I please. I need rules to keep me out of trouble.

Waiting for you to start the ******** for the Dak Prescott contract as we speak.....:lmao2:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

No I have not paid him.

But he is accepting my IOUs for lunch at the strip club we do lunch at.

He picks up the tab, rains the dancefloor with $50s and we get in his limo and leave.

It's a good life.

You should come along next time. Jerrah is picking us up in his bus next week and we will drive around town bouncing the girls on our laps waiting for Dak's new deal to be signed.

After that, we switch to the yatch for the parties. Should be a kick butt time, baby.

:flagwave: