Instead of worrying about paying our QB his enormous monies

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
we need to set some bottom lines as to how we can be fair doing player contracts.

I think generally around the league its felt our roster is less good than touted. I agree after watching in 2018 and 2019. We talk a good talk but struggle at delivering the goods.

How can we change this?

The constant failures to advance in the playoffs much less the failures to even get there are clear warning signs we all have to watch.

While some want to applaud the 2 playoff appearances with Dak in 4 years as being reason to sign him to a new deal..

you also have to include 2 seasons under Dak that we completely missed the playoffs.

Glass half full for some, half empty for others.

So before leaps of faith are made, we need to clearly define what we will accept as being acceptable from Dak if he is Tagged.

As they did with Garrett, last season his contract was not being renewed unless the team advanced deep into the playoffs.

It was easy to understand for all parties going forward.

The team failed, the coach failed and the coach was released.

Why is the team not taking the same approach with its QB?

Why are we not saying to Dak..

"Dak, we like you and want to go forward with you as our guy..

but decisions of this magnitude have to help both sides. In considering your career records with this team so far..

for whatever the reason, you have not won many playoff games to date.

In order to pay $40 mil/yr next year and sign a 5 year deal to those numbers, you need to at least get the team to the NFC Championship in 2020.

You will receive the Exclusive Tag for that today for $32 mil/yr and if you achieve the NFC Championship in 2020..

you will receive the following year 2021 a 5 year deal for $40 mil/yr for 5 years.

Everything and more for meeting the minimum requirements of this contract. We could even include an opt-out clause after the 3rd year by either party if the parties agree to end the contract for any reason.

These guidelines would clearly define what is on the line based on reasonable expectations.

It would end the drama on these negotiations, if successful Dak bets on his ability to earn the contract, the team rewards Dak for performance, the team protects its financial numbers from spiralling when other QBs sign therir deals for more than Dak receives under this contract.

And there should be clauses in the agreement that allows the team to use his contract as a way to extend his contract as needed to free up cap to sign other players as needed.

It removes emotion from the equation and coin flips to decide it is relegated to kickoffs only.

Amari should get similar terms for his money.

This to me is fair to all parties and would work.

Just send my consulting fee invoice monies to:

Redball Express Consulting
San Antonio,Texas
Somewhere on the internet, USA.

Comments welcome.

:laugh:

First off can you write comments without a spacer line in between EVERY line? Next you kept using the word we. Who is the we? We as in fans or we as in the Cowboys? If it's we as in fans, WE have no say in it. If it's we as in the Cowboys when did the Cowboys hire you and at what position? It's the Cowboys call for all terms of player contracts. We as fans can make up all sorts of conditions to player contracts but first getting professional GM's to offer them and getting players to accept them are two things aren't going to happen.

Yes we all have opinions about what should be done about Prescott but at the end of the day, we have no say in it and to repeatedly launch multiple Prescott threads every day to rehash the same things over and over and over again is pointless.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What this FO lacks is a plan like Belichick has been following for years. He allocates to positions based on the importance to his needs and that can change as the league began to morph into passball, he changed some of his D allocation around to put more on the secondary. When he traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, he knew they were going to break his limit at that position. He's been doing this for a long time going back to Deion Branch in 06. He didn't even try and tag Trey Flowers because that was over the limit, just let him walk. He still had the top ranked D.

He knows there has to be a plan and the discipline to follow it, not loving any players including his QB that he would have traded if he hadn't taken the deal for 15M. His plan is dynamic and he's constantly looking it over and evaluating. He knew going into the last season the areas of concern for him this season.

Is this speculation on my part? Of course it is but why is he always ahead of the game and he's the only one. Do you think he would get himself where the Rams are now and the Cowboys getting close to? If you don't fit into his plan, he doesn't even deal with you, off you go. He didn't even attempt to negotiate with a DE as good as Lawrence.

He is really the only one that I am pretty sure does it this way, others do not have the discipline and weren't we all scratching our heads at those above trades when he pulled them. OK, he's finally screwed the pooch, only then he ends up back in the AFCCG or SB.

It's a chess master playing against a bunch of checkers players because he's a strategy player and plans on being relevant every season. Just watch that Niners D start to come apart when the bills come due.

I am not suggesting they could be as good as he is because they lack the discipline, they like their guys. But they've already made mistakes that are going to have to be overcome with some damned fine drafting and they haven't done that in 3 years.

That is a crock of bull. Nobody, and I mean nobody will believe that if Brady had asked for or demanded contracts that paid him closer to what he had accomplished that Belicheat would have got rid of him in some way because his demands were higher that what you say Belicheat has for max per position? Let me guess, you and Belicheat have had long conversations and that during one he told you about his position pay scale.

All coaches or on most teams GM's have a range that they will pay for positions but none are written in stone because of the talent some players have and what it will cost to sign them. But is not just oh well that's more than the position scale amount so that player is gone.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I was talking about contract negotiations not coaching. The Cowboys don't evaluate players well enough to play hard ball with negotiations. Their team building skills hasn't been all that great over the last couple of decades. Haven't even made it to the NFC championship since '96.

Jimmy Johnson had full control of the whole process. Signing coaching and releasing players. If you didnt do your job he would cut you in a heartbeat.

If JJ would ever give up again that kind of control we would be finally competitive again. But with this idiot and his son thinking they know we wont be sniffing a ring for another 25 years....

kskboys

Reaction score
That is a crock of bull. Nobody, and I mean nobody will believe that if Brady had asked for or demanded contracts that paid him closer to what he had accomplished that Belicheat would have got rid of him in some way because his demands were higher that what you say Belicheat has for max per position? Let me guess, you and Belicheat have had long conversations and that during one he told you about his position pay scale.

All coaches or on most teams GM's have a range that they will pay for positions but none are written in stone because of the talent some players have and what it will cost to sign them. But is not just oh well that's more than the position scale amount so that player is gone.
Belly wanted to trade Brady a couple seasons ago. Kraft shut him down.

kskboys

Reaction score
Never heard a word about that.
It was big news at the time. Brady and Belly were fighting. Belly tried to trade him, Kraft shut it down. Right after that, Belly dumped Garrop for a 2nd, even though the entire NFL knew he was worth a lot more. It was a very strange sequence of events.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just looked it up. Kraft demanded that Belly trade Garrop before the Nov 1st deadline. Interesting.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It was big news at the time. Brady and Belly were fighting. Belly tried to trade him, Kraft shut it down. Right after that, Belly dumped Garrop for a 2nd, even though the entire NFL knew he was worth a lot more. It was a very strange sequence of events.

I googled it 5 different ways to find anything about belicheat wanting to trade Brady and the closest thing that came up was when John Lynch was trading for Garoppolo he said he just had to ask and asked about getting Brady and Lynch said belicheat just laughed at him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...trade-offer-says-bill-belichick-laughed-at-me

kskboys

Reaction score
I googled it 5 different ways to find anything about belicheat wanting to trade Brady and the closest thing that came up was when John Lynch was trading for Garoppolo he said he just had to ask and asked about getting Brady and Lynch said belicheat just laughed at him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...trade-offer-says-bill-belichick-laughed-at-me

Yeah, I've noticed that. There aren't always available articles about certain items, especially one that would cast the golden boy in a tainted light. The Pats are "protected", and Brady was the face of the NFL, so it was apparently squushed. Wouldn't be the first time.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that. There aren't always available articles about certain items, especially one that would cast the golden boy in a tainted light. The Pats are "protected", and Brady was the face of the NFL, so it was apparently squushed. Wouldn't be the first time.

You're usually pretty accurate on stuff but I think this time you're coming across as a conspiracy theory guy. belicheat may be able to bully the local media but if you think you heard something about this that means media outside the Boston area ran it and belicheat isn't that big of a God to squash media all across the country. That means if some sportswriter ran a story, and that would have been huge news, then belicheat wouldn't have been able to squash every article all across the country. Do you really think that sportswriters in NY, Miami and Buffalo would be bullied into killing articles about that?

kskboys

Reaction score
You're usually pretty accurate on stuff but I think this time you're coming across as a conspiracy theory guy. belicheat may be able to bully the local media but if you think you heard something about this that means media outside the Boston area ran it and belicheat isn't that big of a God to squash media all across the country. That means if some sportswriter ran a story, and that would have been huge news, then belicheat wouldn't have been able to squash every article all across the country. Do you really think that sportswriters in NY, Miami and Buffalo would be bullied into killing articles about that?
Conspiracy guy? Just saying that make you come across as someone that has no idea. I did expect more from you, BTW.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think generally around the league its felt our roster is less good than touted.
I'm going to disagree and disagree by a lot. Around the league and in the media the Cowboys roster is easily considered a top 8-10 if not higher roster.

Now that we have a competent HC, you will notice a difference.

For example, just changing the kicker last year would have netting the Cowboys at least 2 more wins.

Just think if they had average special teams, another W or 2. Who could ever forget the Cobb fair catch?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Conspiracy guy? Just saying that make you come across as someone that has no idea. I did expect more from you, BTW.

I'm just asking. If you heard something about it then belicheat couldn't have squashed everything so then you, me anyone should be able to find an article stating this then shouldn't we? Are you saying that belicheat is so powerful that hen can squash articles he may not like anywhere in the country?