Twitter: Interesting comment from Eagles owner on Run Game

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Hmmm.

Last years Super Bowl featured two QBs who combined for 3 TDS/5 INTS/3 Fumbles in six combined playoff games.

Their running backs over that span

Sony Michel had 336 yards and 6 rushing TDs.

Todd Gurley had 261/2
CJ Anderson had another 200/2

Tell me again about the QB play dominating the postseason... ****, Dak had the best rating of any playoff QB last year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Funny Romo had his best season of his career at 12-4 when the Run game was the focal, funny Dak had his best year at 13-3 when the Run game was the focal.
So when Romo went 13-3 had the 4th most passing yards in the league while having only the 17th most rushing yards, that doesn't count right?

The running game has been a focal point in all of the last three seasons lol.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I assume all he’s saying is that the way announcers may be using the phrase ‘establish the run’ is perhaps a bit out-dated.

When you hear an announcer say a team needs to establish the run in a pregame conversation, it does make it sound as if that is the #1 priority that needs to take place before other parts of the game can succeed. I highly doubt he’s saying the running (or balance) isn’t important. A team has to be effective in both running and passing to be successful.

What a offense decides to hit a defense with first should depend on the defense they are facing. Without hearing the entire conversation, I think all he’s saying is that there isn’t one phase of an offense that ‘has’ to be established first. And that isn’t news...it’s been known for a long time. I think Lurie is being Captain Obvious here...but again, I didn’t hear the entire conversation.

Sydla

Reaction score
People have a problem with this because it flies in the face of what the Cowboys are doing. If the Cowboys bought into the analystics side of this and put more value in the passing game, the same people pissing at Lurie would suddenly be fine with it.

The Eagles are heavy into analystics and most teams that are like that have found (or believe) success is tied to the passing game, not the run game, and as such teams don't put a ton of resources into the TB position. Now someone pointed out that the Eagles traded for a TB and then drafted one in the 2nd round. But they traded a low round pick and using a 2nd round pick on a TB isn't the same as what we did and what we will do in giving Elliott a big contract. There's a good chance Philly just lets Howard walk when his contract is up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When did little Jeffy Lurie become an expert NFL tactician ? And if it's so unimportant , why the mad scramble by Philthy to pick up running backs ?

You mean, the Cowboys don't have the only owner that talks to the media? Who knew?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People have a problem with this because it flies in the face of what the Cowboys are doing. If the Cowboys bought into the analystics side of this and put more value in the passing game, the same people pissing at Lurie would suddenly be fine with it.

The Eagles are heavy into analystics and most teams that are like that have found (or believe) success is tied to the passing game, not the run game, and as such teams don't put a ton of resources into the TB position. Now someone pointed out that the Eagles traded for a TB and then drafted one in the 2nd round. But they traded a low round pick and using a 2nd round pick on a TB isn't the same as what we did and what we will do in giving Elliott a big contract. There's a good chance Philly just lets Howard walk when his contract is up.

It also flies in the face of what the Rams are doing and what the Saints are doing and what the Seahawks and Steelers have done in their successful seasons. Even the Patriots were one of the top running teams in the NFL last year.

Clearly teams don't have to establish a big running game every week, but to have that as a strong component to compliment the passing game is a positive, without question.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
When I start taking advice from poindexters that never touched a football in their life, I will let you know. Running the ball doesnt matter yet Dallas was destroyed against the run in the playoffs lol