Twitter: Interesting comment from Eagles owner on Run Game

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if they were up a lot in many games the year the won the world championship?

There is knowledge in that question. Seek it.
So, you think they were the 3rd best rushing team over the entire season by running out the clock in the 4th quarter?

It’s your argument - if you want it to fly you support it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You going to pretend this forum isn't heavily pushing the "run the ball more"? It's so far into this that people are asking for Prescott to run more often...

I'm pushing the 'you don't say establishing the run isn't actually all that important?' angle, like I do whenever this topic comes up.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You going to pretend this forum isn't heavily pushing the "run the ball more"? It's so far into this that people are asking for Prescott to run more often...

Lmao. The forum does want Dak to run more, the forum does not however push to run the ball more with our running back who has a billion carries over the last three years.

Strawman in the house

So no the forum doesnt push to "run the ball more". It's basic comprehension, but.... you know what nvm.

Dre11

Reaction score
People have a problem with this because it flies in the face of what the Cowboys are doing. If the Cowboys bought into the analystics side of this and put more value in the passing game, the same people pissing at Lurie would suddenly be fine with it.

The Eagles are heavy into analystics and most teams that are like that have found (or believe) success is tied to the passing game, not the run game, and as such teams don't put a ton of resources into the TB position. Now someone pointed out that the Eagles traded for a TB and then drafted one in the 2nd round. But they traded a low round pick and using a 2nd round pick on a TB isn't the same as what we did and what we will do in giving Elliott a big contract. There's a good chance Philly just lets Howard walk when his contract is up.

Analytics is a new fad, not all analytics fit every scheme, analytics is a lazy way to coach, numbers don't dictate flow of a game.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Analytics is a new fad, not all analytics fit every scheme, analytics is a lazy way to coach, numbers don't dictate flow of a game.
Analytics is also a lazy way to argue, but it has a fancy name!
To expand upon this:
Analytics do give important information and offers up trends and things to consider, but in football - the laws of Chaos tends to rule:
The bounce of a ball. The failure of a particular player on his assignment. A slip of the foot. A player not recognizing where they are supposed to be by accident.
So many things.

You can track a ton of stuff, but those things, along with many others, are simply called outliers while they worm their way in to so many plays.

And then there are the layers upon layers of intricacy that escape most of us like play-calls and player assignments to particular things.

I just find arguing in absolutes is a fallacy when it comes to professional football so I generally avoid it.

Dre11

Reaction score
To expand upon this:
Analytics do give important information and offers up trends and things to consider, but in football - the laws of Chaos tends to rule:
The bounce of a ball. The failure of a particular player on his assignment. A slip of the foot. A player not recognizing where they are supposed to be by accident.
So many things.

You can track a ton of stuff, but those things, along with many others, are simply called outliers while they worm their way in to so many plays.

And then there are the layers upon layers of intricacy that escape most of us like play-calls and player assignments to particular things.

I just find arguing in absolutes is a fallacy when it comes to professional football so I generally avoid it.

Yes I believe numbers are useful, but I don't feel they help you win because as you alluded to they don't measure the intangibles, and that's where games are won and lost

Corso

Reaction score
Yes I believe numbers are useful, but I don't feel they help you win because as you alluded to they don't measure the intangibles, and that's where games are won and lost
So... you're agreeing with me?
I love it when people agree with me!

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I think Philly has bigger issues to worry about, like Wentz's neck acne appearing on television.

Corso

Reaction score
I am disagreeing just on the fact that I want to be contrary to your position.

Bring it.
Oh! Oh!
Dangit! I'm not prepared!

And I'm about to head out!

You filthy so-and-so!

That's all I got right now. I'm juggling dinner with getting ready for a nice show.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Statistics are measurements. Use them properly, and they provide the information you need to build things you can't otherwise build without measurements.

Measure wrong, calculate wrong, or simply fail to understand what's important to measure, and you're not going to get the expected results. That's not the fault of the measurement. It's the fault of the measurer.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
To expand upon this:
So many things.

It also comes down to understanding the data and how you interpret that data.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
People have a problem with this because it flies in the face of what the Cowboys are doing. If the Cowboys bought into the analystics side of this and put more value in the passing game, the same people pissing at Lurie would suddenly be fine with it.

The Eagles are heavy into analystics and most teams that are like that have found (or believe) success is tied to the passing game, not the run game, and as such teams don't put a ton of resources into the TB position. Now someone pointed out that the Eagles traded for a TB and then drafted one in the 2nd round. But they traded a low round pick and using a 2nd round pick on a TB isn't the same as what we did and what we will do in giving Elliott a big contract. There's a good chance Philly just lets Howard walk when his contract is up.
They would probably think differently if they had a Zeke Elliott caliber talent in their backfield.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Three things have been constant to winning football for as long as I can remember.

Win the trenches.
Score points with the pass
Shorten the game with the run