Twitter: Interesting comment from Eagles owner on Run Game

Silly

Reaction score
I just wanted to point out in the run vs pass offense debate, that I believe Dallas was using the ground and pound game to protect a young QB and a poor defense. I think you can say that it was a successful strategy that took the cowboys into the palyoffs. But now the QB is not a kid and the defense is stronger. It is time for Dallas to start dominating their opponents. I'd like to see more TDs on opening drives, and TDs off turnovers. No more excuses.

Oh....who cares what the eagles think? That Chip Kelly experiment was awesome.

Johnny23

Reaction score
It's about balance. For christ sake, you need both.

Also, I'll never turn down any opportunity to say "Philly can suck it."
True while some people will point out the fact He England can go one week in the palyoffs were they run for 50 yards and then next week blow up for like 200. Go on about pass first because of the 50 yards the week before.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I just wanted to point out in the run vs pass offense debate, that I believe Dallas was using the ground and pound game to protect a young QB and a poor defense. I think you can say that it was a successful strategy that took the cowboys into the palyoffs. But now the QB is not a kid and the defense is stronger. It is time for Dallas to start dominating their opponents. I'd like to see more TDs on opening drives, and TDs off turnovers. No more excuses.

That Chip Kelly experiment helped them win a Super Bowl. It led to the house cleaning they needed. Pederson also took pieces of Kelly’s offense and blended it into Reid’s offense. What we see with the Eagles is another hybrid West Coast style, a la Pederson. Foles was successful under Kelly. Pederson took what worked and tossed the rest.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

That Jason Garrett experiment has been even better

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry got things done in a very different era and when he could use money very differently.

And every other team could use their money differently too, so the playing field was even. In any case, his point was that winning a Super Bowl doesn’t make a team owner a football expert

Birdgang

Reaction score
And every other team could use their money differently too, so the playing field was even. In any case, his point was that winning a Super Bowl doesn’t make a team owner a football expert

Not really .... as not every owner is as rich as the next ... or has the ability to spend the capital needed. Then you also look at city/ states tax's which plays a huge role. Jeryy used the no tax in Texas to hold onto that team for 2 more years until players so how much they could make. Rest is history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really .... as not every owner is as rich as the next ... or has the ability to spend the capital needed. Then you also look at city/ states tax's which plays a huge role. Jeryy used the no tax in Texas to hold onto that team for 2 more years until players so how much they could make. Rest is history.
I didn’t say every owner is as rich as the next, I said they could use their money differently then than they can today. I wasn’t the one who set that as the point of discussion, I just responded to it. But if you want to talk about wealth, Jerry’s comparative wealth (to other owners) was not that great at the time. The majority of Jerry’s current wealth is from his ownership of the Cowboys, but before the Super Bowl years the Cowboys value was way down.

As for their being no taxes on corporations in Texas, that’s not accurate. I think you are getting that confused with the fact there is no state income tax on individuals.

Birdgang

Reaction score
I didn’t say every owner is as rich as the next, I said they could use their money differently then than they can today. I wasn’t the one who set that as the point of discussion, I just responded to it. But if you want to talk about wealth, Jerry’s comparative wealth (to other owners) was not that great at the time. The majority of Jerry’s current wealth is from his ownership of the Cowboys, but before the Super Bowl years the Cowboys value was way down.

As for their being no taxes on corporations in Texas, that’s not accurate. I think you are getting that confused with the fact there is no state income tax on individuals.

No I meant no state, I guess I just worded it wrong. I give it to Jerry the businessman as that was a smart approach.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I meant no state, I guess I just worded it wrong. I give it to Jerry the businessman as that was a smart approach.
I’m not sure if you are saying there are no state taxes on corporations (there are), but regardless,you are right that it’s smart for any business owner to take whatever advantage they can of the tax system.

Getting back to the topic though, I don’t really think wither Laurie or Jerry are the smartest football men around.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Passing efficiency is the stat with the single highest correlation with winning in the NFL. The team that passes the ball more efficiently wins about 80% of the time. For reference, you have to get to a turnover differential of +3 before you hit 80+%.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The league is set up to reward teams for passing the ball. Running the ball is great and all but we are swimming against the current for sure.

mmohican29

Reaction score

In other words.... Rushing efficiency is not correlated to winning.

Sound logic by the Owner here.

He must have seen Dak Prescott- of all people- light his vaunted D up for almost 800 yards and 5 TD's like I did.

"you don't need to establish the run against a team that is your proven *****"