Interesting Emmitt Smith Fact

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It was freaky that Emmitt could last even 6 seasons given his load. He led the league in touches per game 91,92, 94, 95. 4 of the top 25 seasons all time.

He was still 2nd in 93 after holding out 2 games. That shows you how extreme his load was.

Touches (season rank/all time)
1990 NFL 265 (7)
1991 NFL 414 (1/25)
1992 NFL 432 (1/13)
1993 NFL 340 (2)
1994 NFL 418 (1/22)
1995 NFL 439 (1/10)
1996 NFL 374 (4/100)
1998 NFL 346 (9)
1999 NFL 356 (6)
Career 4924 (1)
Good stuff, brother. :star:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
All the guys mentioned here still had big shiny names and super reputations later in their career.

Reality?
NONE of them really played like stars after 2-2.5k carries...and decline virtually always came after year six...or sooner.

None, except for Barry. After 5 years they decline? After year SEVEN, Barry had 2000+ career carries. What’d he do after that? 985 carries for 5097 yards. 5.17 ypc, BETTER than his career average. Even in his final season at age 30 he had 4.3 ypc, which was still better than Emmitt’s entire Cowboys career. Not even including Arizona.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
When you look at the names of the guys they gave the tds to, it’s hard to argue it was anything beyond preserving him because he’s the entire offense.

wrong wrong wrong

did you watch barry and the lions play or just some highlights and read stats?

he was pulled because he sucked at hitting the hole. he sucked getting 1 yd when it mattered most.

he played with quality players on offense. qb, wr and ol were good players.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
wrong wrong wrong

he was pulled because he sucked at hitting the hole. he sucked getting 1 yd when it mattered most.

Name the QB.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
None, except for Barry. After 5 years they decline? After year SEVEN, Barry had 2000+ career carries. What’d he do after that? 985 carries for 5097 yards. 5.17 ypc, BETTER than his career average. Even in his final season at age 30 he had 4.3 ypc, which was still better than Emmitt’s entire Cowboys career. Not even including Arizona.
In his final game at thirty, Emmitt still had 1,400 carries yet to be touched, making any speculation as to how prolific Barry could have been moot.

Their careers cant be compared. Have your YPC Eagles fan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Emmitt was just was padding his stats in his later years. Lol

Once he broke the record against Seattle ( was at the game) he was cruising.

I was also at his game when he returned to Texas Stadium with Cardinals. He was busy talking and signing autographs on sideline and playing with the crowd. Definitely on cruise control.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch
1st 5 yrs: 3.95 ypc
Last 5 yrs: 4.50ypc

Tiki Barber
1st 5 yrs: 4.46 ypc
Last 5 yrs: 4.81 ypc

Don't know what any of this really proves though. :huh:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch

Tiki Barber

Don't know what any of this really proves though. :huh:
I don't either. Not in relation to Emmitt.

If this was a thread about a runner's first ten years, with the splits of their first five vs last five, then I could jive with it. I do like TRo's premise, tho, and do appreciate his content. The rogue Eagles fan in here is incredibly insufferable, and he's been pushing his anti-Emmitt/pro-Sanders diatribe in a couple threads.

T-RO

Reaction score
Emmitt was just was padding his stats in his later years. Lol

Once he broke the record against Seattle ( was at the game) he was cruising.

I was also at his game when he returned to Texas Stadium with Cardinals. He was busy talking and signing autographs on sideline and playing with the crowd. Definitely on cruise control.

I don’t ever question Emmitt’s effort, but the reality is he got a lot of carries in the last 1/3 of his career...that should have gone to a younger back. His physical talent just wasn’t the same after all that tread life.

T-RO

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch

Tiki Barber

There are some exceptions. Faulk had nice years in his 6th and 7th years.

But 90% of the time backs aren’t good after five, six years. They get injured or fade out.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You brought up QBs, not he.

wrong wrong wrong

Nyet.

That’s Russian for no.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't either. Not in relation to Emmitt.

If this was a thread about a runner's first ten years, with the splits of their first five vs last five, then I could jive with it. I do like TRo's premise, tho, and do appreciate his content. The rogue Eagles fan in here is incredibly insufferable, and he's been pushing his anti-Emmitt/pro-Sanders diatribe in a couple threads.

Just felt duped by the thread title. Emmitt averaging less YPC the last half of his career wasn't as interesting as I was lead to believe. :p