Interesting Emmitt Smith Fact

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'd have to think any HB with even the remote amount of longevity as Emmitt, and as his age climbed, would have similar declines in YPC, unless your name was John Riggins (age-wise for him, not longevity/tangent:he is a pure outlier of the finest).

Brown and Barry didn't play long enough to see their YPC drop. We're seeing it now with AD.

Brown played 9 years and averaged over 100 yards per game over that entire period. He also averaged over 5 ypc his entire career. RBs generally drop off years 4-6.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Brown played 9 years and averaged over 100 yards per game over that entire period. He also averaged over 5 ypc his entire career. RBs generally drop off years 4-6.
But still Doc, we’re talking a 15-year career, in the tough 90s NFL vs Brown and a 9 year career in a league deprived of a rich amount of talent commesarote with 90s ball, re:Brown vs Emmitt and the level of competition they faced. For me this a very large sticking point for those that feel Emmitt>Brown (in addition to career longevity)

Surely there’s some merit for you there, Jobber?

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
You brought up QBs, not he.

Edit — never mind, you got me there.

QBs should be left out of this debate.
They did have Scott Mitchell as their QB....... :omg:
biggestloser-bio-scottmitchell-1455x1455-kojpg-6989719845a1ea9b.jpg

but they also had Herman Moore and he was a dang good WR

T-RO

Reaction score
Just felt duped by the thread title. Emmitt averaging less YPC the last half of his career wasn't as interesting as I was lead to believe. :p

The funny thing is that you think this thread is about Emmitt Smith. You whiffed.

The title was my hook. Thread is 100% about Zeke and his longterm future.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The funny thing is that you think this thread is about Emmitt Smith. You whiffed.

The title was my hook. Thread is 100% about Zeke and his longterm future.

For a thread 100% about Zeke, there's precious little actual talk about Zeke. You mentioned his name once and no one took the bait, might want to re-think that whiff. :huh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
funny how all these great backs watch their lines getting worse as they age.

At some point they are hard to keep together. Gurly had a bad one and now its improving. You see the results.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
YPC tends to go up when you’re off the field in short yardage.
Also, when you quit at the end of your career.

And let’s not pretend Sanders didn’t have any support on those DET offenses, while were at it.
You're going to have nonsense comments from an Egals fan (who trolled on the dallas cowboys site as well & whose account was closed several times) just because, they've never had a great running back.

So they have to pick at straws and bring out stats from a player who retired vs the greatest running back ever, who just happened to be a Cowboy.:rolleyes:

T-RO

Reaction score
For a thread 100% about Zeke, there's precious little actual talk about Zeke. You mentioned his name once and no one took the bait, might want to re-think that whiff. :huh:

The thread is principally about:
-Shelf life of running backs
-How fans, players, coaches and GMs latch onto big names and over-rate them later in their career
-How teams make huge mistakes extending some stars careers
.....All this leading into the Cowboys here and now: Zeke’s future and next contract.

Read through the thread again. You’ll get it.

T-RO

Reaction score
Fans here went ballistic when Cowboys didn’t re-sign DeMarco. Front office smoked the critics on that decision. Totally the right call.

I expect a repeat w/Z

Plankton

Reaction score
The most interesting Emmitt Smith fact? He gained the exact same amount of yards rushing in his first year as he did in his last year - 937 yards.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
My comment has 4 likes, your retort has two. I have more faith in the Cowboys zone community than to simply label posters as this or that negative connotation. Take the post as it is. If you like it, like it. If you don’t, that’s okay too.

You can paint me however you like, but I’m not trying to force my comment as truth. Just asking that you recognize them as facts.
"My account had 4 likes", WOW. Still crying like the little big shot you thought you were on the other site. I see your making enemies with the wrong members yet once again. Do yourself a favor and check the top 4 members with the most likes. Lol, Trouty along with @dallasdave don't have all those likes because they're hated.

Unfortunate for you, they're all good friends, you don't have a chance on this site to toss your arrogance around because you won't get away with it. I do give you credit for always posting what you wish were true with your so called "facts" instead of what really is true. People know you & your silly posts.

Save your time replying to me, now that I found out your trying to flex your midget muscles on this site as well, read my signature!

P.S, watch how many more likes @Trouty will receive vs you in the Greatest Running Back Ever Thread. It'll be more, than your four.:muttley:

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
The most interesting Emmitt Smith fact? He gained the exact same amount of yards rushing in his first year as he did in his last year - 937 yards.

His last two years in Dallas he averaged 3.9 then 3.8 yards per carry. That’s the narrative with these star players. They run out of gas.

A cheap 5th round rookie can give you that.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The thread is principally about:
-Shelf life of running backs
-How fans, players, coaches and GMs latch onto big names and over-rate them later in their career
-How teams make huge mistakes extending some stars careers
.....All this leading into the Cowboys here and now: Zeke’s future and next contract.

Read through the thread again. You’ll get it.

By your logic the Cowboys shouldn't have resigned Emmitt. DeMarco was almost literally run into the ground and the FO determined that he didn't have the talent to warrant extending him unless on the cheap. Will Zeke get another contract here, too soon to tell, but he can't be judged with DeMarco as the standard. Zeke has more talent and ability and we have yet to see his full potential. You don't spend the #4 overall pick with the pre-determined decision to let him walk after their rookie contract, unless he's a bust. It would be a wasted pick if he's still producing and let him go.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Emmitt's career passing TD% is 100, that's right.... 100% of all his passes have been TDs.

OK, he only threw one pass and it was a TD, but he was also the oldest NFL player to throw their first TD pass.