Interesting point about a possible 2nd tag for Dak

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

**** 2nd tag but no trade value for a 3rd tag
**** Long-term deal or trade him before 2021 season

Breer: "They get there, and the team is in a MUCH worst spot"

DFWJC

Reaction score
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

**** 2nd tag but no trade value for a 3rd tag
**** Long-term deal or trade him before 2021 season

Breer: "They get there, and the team is in a MUCH worst spot"

I thought you could only tag two consecutive years
You can do a 3rd tag, but not consecutively...would have to wait at least one year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I thought you could only tag two consecutive years
You can do a 3rd tag, but not consecutively...would have to wait at least one year.

See Kirk Cousin......Skins couldn't afford a 3rd tag so they had to get in line with all other bidders after his 2nd tag. Interestingly, he was so p...d, he refused to even consider their offer.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I applaud Dak for betting on himself but the only thing in life that is a sure thing is death and taxes. If he gets injured or sucks it up than he is screwed. If he was offered more guarantee money than Goff or Wentz than he should have taken it, imo. Just want this thing to get done.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I applaud Dak for betting on himself but the only thing in life that is a sure thing is death and taxes. If he gets injured or sucks it up than he is screwed. If he was offered more guarantee money than Goff or Wentz than he should have taken it, imo. Just want this thing to get done.

1000%

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What a tool. You want more than your team can afford to pay you, and then get POed when they don't pay you.

Actually he told the Skins he would not sign with them as long GM Bruce Allen was there........

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is what Daks agent knows and has told him. Don’t be surprised when he gets slightly more than Wilson contract. Even though Dak said a few months ago he didn’t expect to get Wilson money. And if JJ wants a 5th year Daks agent said he wants 45 million for that year. Don’t sound so bad for the 5th year now. In 5 years the average maybe close to that anyways. Get something done before July 15th JJ.

Creeper

Reaction score
If Dallas does not sign him in 2021, then franchise him again and attempt to trade him for whatever you can get for him because after 2 tags he is not going to sign with Dallas. And, frankly, I wouldn't want him to. You may not be able to get much for him knowing he will be a free agent, but even a 2nd or 3rd round pick is better than nothing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
See Kirk Cousin......Skins couldn't afford a 3rd tag so they had to get in line with all other bidders after his 2nd tag. Interestingly, he was so p...d, he refused to even consider their offer.

Either way, after the 2nd tag, he could become a FA and there was nothing the Skins could do about it. A 3rd tag is way too prohibitive.

By then Cousins saw the Commanders' cruddy roster and was a bit ticked with them in the first place, so adios.

In Dak's case, after two tags, he too would be a free agent. NO Team would do the 3rd tag at that price. Dallas would take their chance that they could sign their own FA

But he might be leaving an extremely good situation and most likely an offer at or at least near the best he will get.
Very different from the Cousins situation.

I assumed we will sign Dak long term and never really expected anything to get done until very near the deadline...as always with Jerry.
However, this Covid-19 stuff may have changed the dynamics a bit.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
What a tool. You want more than your team can afford to pay you, and then get POed when they don't pay you.
I think Cousin wanted out there because he saw the crap roster they had (and and have had the last 2 years). And yes, he was at odds with the FO.