Interesting point about a possible 2nd tag for Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes they can offer it in 2021 if they want to, i'm not sure what it would be for 2021 but it would probably be somewhere around 31-32m instead of 37m for the franchise tag

I think if i's not sorted by then we consider the Transitional Tag for 2021, we can always match the offer from any other interested team ….or decline to match the offer if it's in a location such as....Indianapolis or Jacksonville.

If that happened could both Dak and JJ agree that the posturing can stop and negotiate properly or does Dak have to take the offer submitted by the other team?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yup, it's pretty obvious that the team isn't sold on him being the answer or he'd already be signed.

You may have a point.

Given the option of: Dak or money to spend in Free Agency McCarthy may have said he'd take the latter.

Though i'm sure if they didn't like Dak at all they would have drafted a QB earlier than the 7th round.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Talking about a second tag for Dak is to assume he will not agree to a long term deal by the deadline date. I'd rather not make that assumption.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup, it's pretty obvious that the team isn't sold on him being the answer or he'd already be signed.
The only idiot GM in the NFL that would give him 31 million for 1 season is Jerry.
Is he inept enough to either give him a long term deal or 37 million for a 2nd Tag.....thank the heavens that Stephen is around!!!
Here below is why Dak hasn't gotten a long term deal....one of many inept passes!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah, he very well could have an off season. You think there is no chance of him declining for any reason is terrible reasoning. It happens all the time in the NFL.

If Dak is getting $35 million a year that means he takes much more responsibility of the team and HAS to overcome adversity. Something he hasn't exactly shown he can do. (Zeke being out in 2017, No #1Wr in 2018 until Cooper arrived). Dak has needed a strong supporting cast to elevate his game and hasn't elevated others when big time players have missed games. That's what $35 million a year QBs HAVE to do to justify their high cap hit.

LOL....whatever ( waste of time )

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I love your world, it sounds so great.

Just sign a Safety in the first two days, and make sure they can contribute immediately is the minimum we'll need. a lot of other holes to fill.

Our issue with the Cap is, in part, due to the inability of our FO to draft outside of the first couple of rounds......I cant remember many players we've drafted after the Second Round that we've signed following their rookie contract?

We throw resources at the high end (Draft scouting and Free Agency) and then scrape around.

Lets hope MM's first promising draft is a sign of things to come.....and Dak/JJ can compromise on a deal.
Can't disagree.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He wanted out because he felt disrespected by their GM.

He has made that clear in interviews.

1000%......explained this to another poster in a different thread. Yep, he pretty much refused to even consider an offer from the Skins as long as Bruce Allen was there.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Under Stephen Jones, he has handled the team's cap situation very well. They rarely spend for fa's on the open market, draft/develop and try to resign their own in house fa's. With some of the young players getting paid now, it comes far more challenging. They should be able to manage the cap if they continue this patience, even with a Dak extension, but cannot afford to go the franchise tag route after this season. By paying top dollar for some of their players, it leaves less room for the entire roster, which is why we see some positions with either character, injury risks or undrafted fa talent.

Excellent point ......but I found myself wondering why dak decided to sign the tag NOW. Remember he has no deadline to sign the tag as opposed to the July 15 deadline for a long-term deal. He could have wait until days before the season starts to sign and not lose a penny but again why now. I wonder if perhaps Stephen told his they refuse to nego any further w/o him showing signing the tag. In other words, sign the tag and we'll consider giving you the deal you want with 4 years vs 5 years. If you recall Dez and DLaw deals were signed near the end of deadline. My point is this gives my hope they could very get this done within the next couple of weeks. We know they'd like to free up some of the cap money.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Talking about a second tag for Dak is to assume he will not agree to a long term deal by the deadline date. I'd rather not make that assumption.

I wouldn't either but they're cutting it awful close ........2 weeks and some change.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
See Kirk Cousin......Skins couldn't afford a 3rd tag so they had to get in line with all other bidders after his 2nd tag. Interestingly, he was so p...d, he refused to even consider their offer.
I think Cousins wants to win before retiring.

The Skins are not moving in that direction it would have seemed.

Dallas on the other hand could afford a 3rd Tag if the team was winning titles.

You have to win to play that game.

You are building in a rebuild factor post Dak if you do that.

That is something the Jones's would have to decide.

Guys like Clay and McCarthy might want to move on and other players if the team was going to be losing in that case.

But it could happen.

So far..Dak has not produced the required wins yet.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Excellent point ......but I found myself wondering why dak decided to sign the tag NOW. Remember he has no deadline to sign the tag as opposed to the July 15 deadline for a long-term deal. He could have wait until days before the season starts to sign and not lose a penny but again why now. I wonder if perhaps Stephen told his they refuse to nego any further w/o him showing signing the tag. In other words, sign the tag and we'll consider giving you the deal you want with 4 years vs 5 years. If you recall Dez and DLaw deals were signed near the end of deadline. My point is this gives my hope they could very get this done within the next couple of weeks. We know they'd like to free up some of the cap money.

It could be a reason we aren't aware of. I believe DLaw also signed his tag before his extension was agreed upon before the deadline.

erod

Reaction score
I want him to play on the tag because I think he'll play his way out of a big deal.

If he proves himself worthy, who cares what the number is then. You pay him.

If he doesn't prove himself, you're not locked into an albatross contract.

I want to see if he can truly take advantage of Lamb, Cooper, and Gallup, or if he holds them back as I suspect he will.

Brax

Reaction score
I applaud Dak for betting on himself but the only thing in life that is a sure thing is death and taxes. If he gets injured or sucks it up than he is screwed. If he was offered more guarantee money than Goff or Wentz than he should have taken it, imo. Just want this thing to get done.
Wish my employer would do me wrong at 31.5 million, poor Dak if it doesn’t work out how will he make ends meet.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

**** 2nd tag but no trade value for a 3rd tag
**** Long-term deal or trade him before 2021 season

Breer: "They get there, and the team is in a MUCH worst spot"

Jerry made the absolute correct move. Dak Prescott has not shown that he is worth 30 million dollars per year.
I don't care about stats, but if you do, then look at what we did against the six good teams that we played last year. In every game except the one against the Rams Dak Prescott failed to lead the team to more than 17 points in a game. Any backup in the league could have played against the eagles when the playoffs were on the line and generated more points than Dak Prescott did.

Flamma

Reaction score
Could you explain what to "cave into his agent's demands of a shorter contract" will actually look like financially?

How does caving into his agents demands assist the Cowboys in the next 3 years?

You don't have to look as far as the 3rd years tag, look at next years (2021's) scenario???

The difference between 4 and 5 years isn't really that big under normal circumstances. But these are normal circumstances for several reasons. This is a new contract, not a contract extension. And the cap may not go up next year, which is huge.

Under normal circumstances you work out an extension before the final year of the players rookie contract. Since he's being paid very little in his final year of the rookie deal, that gives the team a chance to dump a lot of signing bonus on that last year. That last year no longer exists.

Now it's pretty simple math. Say 4 years 35 Mil per. No matter how you slice it, it's going to get ugly at some point. Normally they start off low. His first year would be around 20M for example. But you still have 120 million left that you have to spread out over the next 3 years. It frees up cap room early and then you hope the cap goes up to keep up with the contracts rising hit. As I mentioned before, that might not happen.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
The difference between 4 and 5 years isn't really that big under normal circumstances. But these are normal circumstances for several reasons. This is a new contract, not a contract extension. And the cap may not go up next year, which is huge.

Under normal circumstances you work out an extension before the final year of the players rookie contract. Since he's being paid very little in his final year of the rookie deal, that gives the team a chance to dump a lot of signing bonus on that last year. That last year no longer exists.

Now it's pretty simple math. Say 4 years 35 Mil per. No matter how you slice it, it's going to get ugly at some point. Normally they start off low. His first year would be around 20M for example. But you still have 120 million left that you have to spread out over the next 3 years. It frees up cap room early and then you hope the cap goes up to keep up with the contracts rising hit. As I mentioned before, that might not happen.
I think Dak is on a prove-it contract. As far as I'm concerned they had enough talent to win the Superbowl last year and they didn't even make the playoffs. And I attribute that to one person the quarterback

Flamma

Reaction score
I think Dak is on a prove-it contract. As far as I'm concerned they had enough talent to win the Superbowl last year and they didn't even make the playoffs. And I attribute that to one person the quarterback

That may very well be the case. But do we know that for sure? How much of it was coaching? The Cowboys played lazy a lot of years under the Red Menace. But if what you say is true and the Cowboys sign him to a huge contract, they're screwed.

If Dak ends up playing under the tag then that's probably the same line of thinking going on.