Interesting point about a possible 2nd tag for Dak

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
I think they should have signed Philip Rivers while Dak was still on his last year of his rookie contract. A little competition would be good for him and Philip Rivers can throw the ball accurately. I know he had a crummy year last year, but all of his receivers were injured.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think they should have signed Philip Rivers while Dak was still on his last year of his rookie contract. A little competition would be good for him and Philip Rivers can throw the ball accurately. I know he had a crummy year last year, but all of his receivers were injured.

:huh::huh::huh::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Rivers was playing on the final year of his deal with the Chargers last year. Hmmmm how the Cowboys could sign him if he was under contract to the Chargers?

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
I think they should have signed Philip Rivers while Dak was still on his last year of his rookie contract. A little competition would be good for him and Philip Rivers can throw the ball accurately. I know you had a crummy year last year, but all of his receivers were injured.
:huh::huh::huh::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Rivers was playing on the final year of his deal with the Chargers last year. Hmmmm how the Cowboys could sign him if he was under contract to the Chargers?
The chargers were trying to move him too.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think they should have signed Philip Rivers while Dak was still on his last year of his rookie contract. A little competition would be good for him and Philip Rivers can throw the ball accurately. I know you had a crummy year last year, but all of his receivers were injured.

The chargers were trying to move him too.

Unless you have factual proof........this is simply not true at all. There nothing out there to suggest the Chargers tried to trade Rivers last year. In fact, they considered bringing him back after the season ended but both decided it was probably they moved on.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
Unless you have factual proof........this is simply not true at all. There nothing out there to suggest the Chargers tried to trade Rivers last year. In fact, they considered bringing him back after the season ended but both decided it was probably they moved on.
you are right. All this time with no sports on TV is making me go out of my mind. It seems like it's been two years since the super bowl

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The difference between 4 and 5 years isn't really that big under normal circumstances. But these are normal circumstances for several reasons. This is a new contract, not a contract extension. And the cap may not go up next year, which is huge.

Under normal circumstances you work out an extension before the final year of the players rookie contract. Since he's being paid very little in his final year of the rookie deal, that gives the team a chance to dump a lot of signing bonus on that last year. That last year no longer exists.

Now it's pretty simple math. Say 4 years 35 Mil per. No matter how you slice it, it's going to get ugly at some point. Normally they start off low. His first year would be around 20M for example. But you still have 120 million left that you have to spread out over the next 3 years. It frees up cap room early and then you hope the cap goes up to keep up with the contracts rising hit. As I mentioned before, that might not happen.

Cheers,

My question was somewhat rhetorical, and tried to point out to @Cowboyny that "caving in" to Dak's demands could bring some very hard times in the near future.....but thanks for succinctly summing up some of the problems.

When posters say "give Dak what he wants" and "if JJ liked him he would of signed him by now", I have to disagree that it's that simple.

4 years is just about doable, if (as you say) payments are escalated in the 4th year.....but we are going to be stretched in fill out roster with scrubs.

I can see DLaw and Coops contracts getting restructured, but there's no incentive for them to do so until 2022 (when there's a risk of being cut)…..

The main problem (as I see it) is 2021 and JJ trying to elongate Dak's contract (to free up URGENT CAP Space) rather than make rash extensions on existing poor contracts which will further hurt us in 2022 and 2023 ….where our CAP availability is ranked 29th worse and Dead Last.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

**** 2nd tag but no trade value for a 3rd tag
**** Long-term deal or trade him before 2021 season

Breer: "They get there, and the team is in a MUCH worst spot"

You can always put the non exclusive FT on him after 2 exc. FTs. That should be around 27 mils and you'll get 2 first round picks in exchange if he signs with another team.

I think we are in a good position.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You can always put the non exclusive FT on him after 2 exc. FTs. That should be around 27 mils and you'll get 2 first round picks in exchange if he signs with another team.

I think we are in a good position.

I thought if it was non exclusive tag you could match the offer ….but wouldn't get the draft pick compensation.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I thought if it was non exclusive tag you could match the offer ….but wouldn't get the draft pick compensation.

Of course. If you match the offer and the player then stays with you you wont get the draft picks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What a tool. You want more than your team can afford to pay you, and then get POed when they don't pay you.

Does anyone, including Cousins, not think he was overpaid and overguaranteed by the Vikes?

If I were Cousins, I'd be patting myself on the back for the contract negotiations. He certainly should be patting his agent on the back.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

**** 2nd tag but no trade value for a 3rd tag
**** Long-term deal or trade him before 2021 season

Breer: "They get there, and the team is in a MUCH worst spot"

If we can't get a deal done before this summer, I conclude he's planning the Kirk Cousins career path, and we should move him *this* summer while we still can, and while we have a starting caliber QB as #2.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing has changed with the math here at all. The deal will get done, regardless, but of course Dak’s position gets stronger the longer he develops without a long term deal. Just like it gets weaker if he plays poorly. Imagine a stretch like he had during Zeke’s suspension if it came in a contract year. He’d lose money. Betting on yourself and then delivering big like he did last season? He makes money. That’s how it works.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If we can't get a deal done before this summer, I conclude he's planning the Kirk Cousins career path, and we should move him *this* summer while we still can, and while we have a starting caliber QB as #2.

No team needs a QB at $31m this season (other than ourselves).

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Does anyone, including Cousins, not think he was overpaid and overguaranteed by the Vikes?

If I were Cousins, I'd be patting myself on the back for the contract negotiations. He certainly should be patting his agent on the back.
I remember people thought Cousins was going to waltz into Minnesota and be unstoppable. He was a stat collector but people thought all he needed was a team around him. That didn’t work out as imagined.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
What a tool. You want more than your team can afford to pay you, and then get POed when they don't pay you.

like Dallas, Washington has ample opportunity to sign him long term at a reasonable price. The problem is when the player wants a certain amount, and performs well and for some reason I can explain, their price goes *up* with the market and you begin at ground zero again