Interesting Roster Scenarios

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As training camp nears, it’s always fun to speculate what the final roster will look like on opening day. I think we fans too often look at last year's team and assume most people are coming back again to the same role. But as we saw at the end of last year's preseason, Brett Maher was kept instead of Dan Bailey. A big example of a roster surprise most of us didn’t see coming.

Changes happen every year and 2019 will be no exception. It’s probably too early to have an accurate read on what may happen at every position but I still think there are a few positions where changes may happen:
  • Backup QB- I think it’s certainly possible that neither Cooper Rush nor Mike White will be the primary backup QB to start the season. If one of them doesn’t emerge in preseason games, I expect to see a veteran backup be picked up after final cuts. As a former 5th round pick, White probably has a longer leash than Rush.
  • Kicker- I’m not sure Brett Maher earned the right last year to be called a reliably accurate NFL kicker. He made some big kicks but he also blew a few gimmes too. We may have another K by seasons start. Or Maher may solidify himself. This will be interesting.
  • TE- IMO, Jason Witten’s return at age 37 is not necessarily an upgrade at the position. Love Witten but I have a hard time believing he will be the “HOF version” of #82. Blake Jarwin had started to emerge late last season and Dalton Schultz has some upside too. Pretty safe to say the “legend” of Rico Gathers has faded. But Garrett likes to keep 4 TEs. This will be an interesting watch.
  • LG/RT- There has been much speculation about these two positions all offseason. Apparently, Connor Williams has bulked up and may finally be ready to step in at LG. Or is he moving to RT? We’ve heard the rumors of a possible La’El Collins trade. Would this year’s 3rd rounder Connor Macgreagor be ready to step in at LG if Williams is moved to RT? Or will Collins stay at RT? This will be an interesting scenario to watch.
What are some roster positions and scenarios you find interesting that may have some surprises this year? Any surprise roster moves you see in the making?

An excellent list and once again a nice conversation starter, Bob!
:thumbup:

I would add in this one to your list:
  • Defensive line - A whole lot of candidates and possibilities, with some not making the roster, even if they ultimately keep 10 defensive linemen. They had a lot on the roster already, and they've added about 5 more through the draft and free agency. Like receiver, this looks like an overstocked group and there's not enough spots to keep everyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope Pollard turns out better than Switzer did. I heard a lot about what the Cowboys were going to do with him before the games started.

He had better, considering all of the talk about him, and the fact that they chose Pollard over taking CB Isaiah Johnson (which would have been my preference).

I want to see if all of the talk and hype about Pollard is justified, or just another 'Lance Dunbar deal' full of empty promises and unfulfilled expectations.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
WR seems the most fun to speculate on for me. I am interested to see if Wilson, Brown, and Johnson can round out the six, which would mean having to say goodbye to Hurns & Austin. Some of the decision will be dependent upon what kind of backup is needed for Cobb's slot position, and if some of it can come from the RB position.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

• Defensive line - A whole lot of candidates and possibilities, with some not making the roster, even if they ultimately keep 10 defensive linemen. They had a lot on the roster already, and they've added about 5 more through the draft and free agency. Like receiver, this looks like an overstocked group and there's not enough spots to keep everyone.
I agree, good list by @Bobhaze. Personally, the DL shapes up to be the most interesting camp battle.

Sure, I want to see how the WRs and OL shake out, but in my mind, the biggest opportunity for improvement by any unit is with the DL

erod

Reaction score
As training camp nears, it’s always fun to speculate what the final roster will look like on opening day. I think we fans too often look at last year's team and assume most people are coming back again to the same role. But as we saw at the end of last year's preseason, Brett Maher was kept instead of Dan Bailey. A big example of a roster surprise most of us didn’t see coming.

Changes happen every year and 2019 will be no exception. It’s probably too early to have an accurate read on what may happen at every position but I still think there are a few positions where changes may happen:
  • Backup QB- I think it’s certainly possible that neither Cooper Rush nor Mike White will be the primary backup QB to start the season. If one of them doesn’t emerge in preseason games, I expect to see a veteran backup be picked up after final cuts. As a former 5th round pick, White probably has a longer leash than Rush.
  • Kicker- I’m not sure Brett Maher earned the right last year to be called a reliably accurate NFL kicker. He made some big kicks but he also blew a few gimmes too. We may have another K by seasons start. Or Maher may solidify himself. This will be interesting.
  • TE- IMO, Jason Witten’s return at age 37 is not necessarily an upgrade at the position. Love Witten but I have a hard time believing he will be the “HOF version” of #82. Blake Jarwin had started to emerge late last season and Dalton Schultz has some upside too. Pretty safe to say the “legend” of Rico Gathers has faded. But Garrett likes to keep 4 TEs. This will be an interesting watch.
  • LG/RT- There has been much speculation about these two positions all offseason. Apparently, Connor Williams has bulked up and may finally be ready to step in at LG. Or is he moving to RT? We’ve heard the rumors of a possible La’El Collins trade. Would this year’s 3rd rounder Connor Macgreagor be ready to step in at LG if Williams is moved to RT? Or will Collins stay at RT? This will be an interesting scenario to watch.
What are some roster positions and scenarios you find interesting that may have some surprises this year? Any surprise roster moves you see in the making?

Yours, in order....

• At any given time, there are about 15-20 legitimate NFL starting quarterbacks in the world. I'm one that doesn't really concern myself with backup quarterbacks because if your QB goes down for the season, you're toast. The Eagles were an illusion. Mike White seems like a tough kid, and I'm interested what is there that is untapped. Rush needs to go.
  • Maher is good, and I think that full year helped his psyche and he'll be better this season.
  • Witten knows what to do. Dak needs that. Jarwin will still be a bigger part of things while Witten contributes and provides leadership in the huddle.
  • Williams added bulk won't help him at guard. Perhaps tackle it would. Guards need big butts and legs to anchor. Adding a bunch of lat and trap muscle does nothing against Fletcher Cox if he can push you over your weak lower base. He's a right tackle and they need to get him there asap. I'd start Looney at RG right now with Williams at RT.
Some of mine....
  • This season rides on Dak and Kellen Moore because the roster is as good as it gets in the NFL these days. However, Michael Gallup will play a big part in that. He and Dak weren't on the same page much last year, but they had a few nice connections. If that get gets sorted out, the offense should be much more dynamic.
  • Sean Lee will have a bigger impact than we realize. If he's only being asked to play 20 plays a game, perhaps he can hold up, and when fully healthy, he's still better than Jaylon and LVE.
  • I think Awuzie arrives this year as the best corner on the team.
  • I think Pollard is going to add a lot in ways we don't yet realize.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wise and Hyatt and probably still Wilson at WR to me are the new Darius Jackson's. A lot of fan hype but to me I need to see it on the field.

Now at WR it could happen if they keep 7, because if Noah Brown is gone as many believe, and also think Austin and Hurns is gone. No way they keep 3 rookie WR's. They may keep 2 if they keep 7 on the roster, and want to save some $$ by cutting Hurns or Austin.

They have 9 deep on the OL, so if Hyatt were to be kept, it would be to save some $$$ and not much, so that would be a mistake. They may only go 8 in that case as a possibility. WouldHyatt be any better than a guy on the PS. IMO, no.

Same for Wise, this team has way too many players ahead of him, especially if Gregory is available. It would have to be they want to save $$$, again, and cut someone like Crawford. Which would not hurt my feeling one bit.

DB's will be interesting as will Iloka beat out Heath, or will it be Thompson. Will Frazier have enough to make the team as well. Olumba or M. Jackson, or will Westry show enough to push them.

This team on paper has enough depth to think we can get some picks next year and make trades. But then again, we think this every year only to see no trades, and them get released. But somehow this year it seems different, again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, good list by @Bobhaze. Personally, the DL shapes up to be the most interesting camp battle.

Sure, I want to see how the WRs and OL shake out, but in my mind, the biggest opportunity for improvement by any unit is with the DL

They were the group that was at times thoroughly dominated during the regular season and postseason. And that ultimately got this team knocked out of the playoffs. That needs to change if we are to take that next step.

conner01

Reaction score
It’s gonna be a huge and interesting camp
I think several roster spots are really up for grabs
WR is gonna be fun to see how it shakes out
I’m of the thinking you keep one backup QB
Neither showed the ability to win games for us last year. So I see if white has grown as a player and if he has I keep him over rush. I think rush blew his real shot last year and I’d have to really see something special from him to spend a roster spot on him again

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Wow! Those are some pretty big expectations for Pollard!
:omg:
yeah, i guess it is. But this team has lots of weapons which could make it relatively easy to get one on one matchups and I like his chances in that scenario.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah, i guess it is. But this team has lots of weapons which could make it relatively easy to get one on one matchups and I like his chances in that scenario.

I very much hope that you're right.

GenoT

Reaction score
I sorta have the feeling Thompson makes an impression. Not sure he will get all the way to starter this year but something feels like he has a chance to be a player

I think Pollard could have a huge year. Maybe not huge as in "all time statistical" but very good stats and versatility gives the cowboys something they haven't had ... maybe ever. thinking a Marshall Faulk type mismatch nightmare.

Pollard could eat into Zeke's overall #'s but his production per touch could go way up.
Never mind touches, barring unforeseen events, Pollard will be lucky to play 6-7 snaps per game — with the majority being situational.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s gonna be a huge and interesting camp
I think several roster spots are really up for grabs
WR is gonna be fun to see how it shakes out
I’m of the thinking you keep one backup QB
Neither showed the ability to win games for us last year. So I see if white has grown as a player and if he has I keep him over rush. I think rush blew his real shot last year and I’d have to really see something special from him to spend a roster spot on him again

I agree. I think like most quarterbacks around here, Rush regressed and got worse rather than better. He had an impressive preseason in 2017, but in looking at his work even then, I saw a "one read quarterback", who dropped back and threw to the first read in his progression. And one who was fortunate enough that he threw an accurate, catch-able ball to that first read. But the guy we saw last year was indecisive and showed his real lack of physical ability and arm strength. I saw nothing in Rush that made him worthy of a roster spot, much less the backup quarterback position. We were simply really fortunate that neither guy had to eve be called upon. If we're not so lucky this year, our season is over.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
  • Williams added bulk won't help him at guard. Perhaps tackle it would. Guards need big butts and legs to anchor. Adding a bunch of lat and trap muscle does nothing against Fletcher Cox if he can push you over your weak lower base. He's a right tackle and they need to get him there asap. I'd start Looney at RG right now with Williams at RT.

Williams didn’t just work on his upper body strength this offseason. He also worked on his lower body.

That pic of him with the dolphin girl didn’t show his lower body very well. Later in that same thread @stasheroo posted a recent pic of Williams and his lower body looked roughly equivalent to Zack Martin’s lower body (they were side-by-side).

IMO, his anchor and strength will be better than last year’s and should be fine inside at guard.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Never mind touches, barring unforeseen events, Pollard will be lucky to play 6-7 snaps per game — with the majority being situational.
If that is the case, the whole "changing the way we do things" narrative has crashed & burned ..... again.

erod

Reaction score
Williams didn’t just work on his upper body strength this offseason. He also worked on his lower body.

That pic of him with the dolphin girl didn’t show his lower body very well. Later in that same thread @stasheroo posted a recent pic of Williams and his lower body looked roughly equivalent to Zack Martin’s lower body (they were side-by-side).

IMO, his anchor and strength will be better than last year’s and should be fine inside at guard.
As Nate Newton says, you either have a big *** or you don't. Guards need big huge booties. You can't work out and get that.

Guards need that natural uncle strength.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they do, it may be an indication that Garrett will continue to impose his will on the offense. He’s always loved having 4 TEs on the roster.

I don't think this is accurate. As far as I can tell they went with 3 TEs in 2011-14, again in 2016, and in 2017 started the season with 3 TE's and only added Jarwin mid season because the Eagles were going to steal him off the practice squad.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great point. DL is going to be a real interesting battle. Guys like Kerry Hyder and Dorrance Armstrong really interest me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The most interesting position to me is WR and both how many they end up keeping with the addition of Pollard and which 5 or 6 that is. I would prefer for them to keep 6 and count Pollard as a RB and not some hybrid and 5 WR's.

As usual, every day we'll hear how one has shined and one has dulled and that will reverse the next day. I think the guy with the best coaching job on the team is Lal, but I think he's got some hard decisions to make. Last season, it seemed we didn't have enough and that has reversed this season.